Wildcat Forum banner

3 same axle's - broken in 50 miles...

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  kgray670 
#1 · (Edited)
There must be a contributing factor to have the same rear (drivers') axle break 3 times in roughly 50 miles. Ideas?

I ride mountain trails. I drive fast. I don't get air time. I am heavy on the throttle. I don't do a ton of rock climbs.

The first two broke at the wheel

The latest broke at the diff...

Ideas as to why or possible factors I haven't considered?

As always, thanks in advance for ideas!

2015 X Limited, 590 miles, 3 months left on warranty

"Greater love hath no man than this....."

#2 ·
Tire / wheel size?

#4 ·
Are you installing with an impact gun to get to the recommended 250 ft. lbs. torque? Some believe the ends are stressed by impact pounding and recommend using hand tools. I agree.
Reduce torque and use upgraded axle nut retainers.

#6 ·
The first was obviously stock AC, the second and third were OEM... 27/14/10 rear ... ITP Blackwater tires... I will try the torque suggestion. My new axle is a caiman? $100 on eBay with 1 yr warranty (that's what sold me)

#7 ·
AC & OEM should be the same.

#9 ·
some thoughts::rolleyes:

Reasonable torque (100 ft lbs) and a set of these enhanced capture plates ...

But if your breaking CV joints I'm thinking "over articulation" -- do you have modified radius arms and if so, is the rear wheel alignment true. (At one time I had modified radius rods adjusted for some toe-out ... blew up some CV joints) Tire scuffing can heat up the CVs.

Some folks have tweaked/bent the upper trailing arm causing toe-in at the rear wheel (very easy to bend if you back up and bump something)

Also, the splined end of the axle needs to be greased...

Auto part Disc brake Flange Rotor Clutch part

Auto part Disc brake Vehicle brake Brake Locking hubs

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Pipe

#11 ·
I aligned my rear wheels by placing a level between wheel studs. I do have "highlifter" rear radius rods:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.