Thread: Belts

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    ^^^^^^that's exactly what i was going to say but in spanish

Member #
    Liked
    325 times
    I can see what Adam is saying. A windshield alone is not enough to smoke a belt, but throw in some 28" tires that weigh 70 lbs, a windshield, do a few high speed passes at full throttle and now you've overheated the belt.

I've seen people brag about how long their belts lasted, and others complain about how fast they blew a belt. These things typically either blow from overheating or last a good long time depending on the conditions and driving style. More strain, more wind resistance = much greater chance of blowing a belt.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRDAM View Post
    tell your buddies:

"if you take a regular chevrolet or ford pickup, just your standard V8 truck, and put 37" mud tires on it and hold it to the floor, not a cruise around town, hold it to the floor, and see how long the tranny lasts. the loads from trying to pull a large heavy tire, overheats the tranny fluid in a truck, which leads to failure of the tranny. same concept in the ATV and UTVs. you put the machine under a huge load like pulling a set of 29.5" black mambas (which weigh 70lbs each) and then hold your machine to the floor and its going to cook the belt. the clutch was not slipping the belt, you just overheated it. the higher load you put on your machine, whether it be from huge tires, or tons of gear, or full windshields and top, these loads and wind resistance put more strain on your machine, the motor and driveline. since your motor is connected to the transmission by a 35mm wide belt, all the power you make, and all the load you are carrying is being placed directly on that belt. the more load you put on it, the more heat you are creating in the belt. after a full top speed run at one set speed, your belt is sitting in one spot on the circumference of the clutch, creating a hot band in the clutch, which wont allow the belt to cool itself off under such high loads. if the owner varied his speeds every few seconds rather than just holding at one speed, he might have made it thru the day. but the sheer wide eyed wide open throttle happy riding style is going to leave him stranded in the bush more than just this once unless he calms down.

stock tires 26" < black mambas 29.5" which equates to 12% larger and about 240% heavier than stock creates alot of load on the machines belt. long hard top speed pulls generates so much heat in the belt, it fries it. you gotta understand how a belt is built to understand why it blew. there is glue that holds a belt together. once this glue gets to its peak operrating temperature, the glue melts, and the belt comes apart and explodes looking like you ran the belt thru a wood chipper.
    If you go over to the XP900 Forum, you will find that they were/are smoking belts left & right. They determined it is due to improper riding, improper belt break in & extreme mods.

Adam is right, belt failures are mainly caused by over heating the belt by being put under extreme loads for long durations and varying the load will help cool the belt down. Also you must remember that the belt is enclosed in a cover which restricts air flow. The wild cat was designed with certain load factors in mind, and going to extreme tire changes & increase weights will put a larger load than what it was originally designed to handle.

Also by not varying your load, you will eventually wear a grove into your clutch faces or even damage the clutch from excessive heat, which will then cause even more belt problems.

The three main reasons that a belt break are, Over heating, Damage, grove or stuck clutch faces, improper break in of a new belt (Yes, they do need to be broken in.

On my Honda Pilot, even with no cover, I would smoke a belt from time to time. And except for ounce where I had high restriction on the opening of my secondary, the belt failure were mainly caused by not properly break in the belt or because of riding style until I learned better.

Mike

And ounce you extremely over heat a belt just ounce, it is now compromised and even more prone to failure.
    OWN a Arctic Cat Wildcat , KTM 525 EXC, Honda CR250R & Just Sold Long Travel Honda Pilot First of all, disclaimers, I have ridden in a Razor S & XP900 as a passenger. I have driven our Rescue-3 SxS which consist of a Honda Big Red & a Polaris Ranger Crew

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Here is the Video where Arctic Cat tells how to break in a new belt. Althouh this is for snowmobile, it really applies to all belts, reguadless to the of type of machine or it's brand

Mike
    OWN a Arctic Cat Wildcat , KTM 525 EXC, Honda CR250R & Just Sold Long Travel Honda Pilot First of all, disclaimers, I have ridden in a Razor S & XP900 as a passenger. I have driven our Rescue-3 SxS which consist of a Honda Big Red & a Polaris Ranger Crew

Member #
    Liked
    213 times
    uk43228

i see that you are a little upset about your purchase, and more upset about my little spill on what burnt your belt. i guess you missed the whole part about the big tires being 200% heavier, coupled WITH the wind resistance created by a windshield. you apparently proof-read my statement and took it to heart that i blamed your windshield alone or something. high loads, and excessive strain will overheat a belt. you cant make a belt that will handle every stupid mistake an owner can potentially put the machine thru. a belt is rubber, the clutch is aluminum, the aluminum clutch squeezes the side of the belt trying to grab it which in itself creates friction, and heat. you throw a bunch of loads at the machine this friction increases creating more heat. over prolonged periods of high load, you will overheat and blow your belt.

again back on how superior a RZR is, wow so lame. a RZR clutch only has 3 weights in the primary, which means they only have the centrifugal force of those 3 weights clamping down on the primary clutch to grab a belt. in high load situations at slow speeds, a RZR is a belt slipping monster. you apparently aint rode a polaris in tight woods with big tires cause they are not the model for clutch setups. with big tires and high loads they chew a groove in the base of the primary within 500 miles that will leave the clutch basically junk. arctic cats dont slip belts, they have 8 roller weights clamping the clutch closed to the belt which creates a ton of centrifugal force and rarely ever, like next to never, slip a belt.
    -- RZRs do have one advantage, and that is clutch diameter. their secondary clutch is a larger diameter than any other UTV on the market. what this does is allow polaris to run a longer belt, (which in turn will run cooler with greater length and surface area) and since the clutch is a larger diameter, the belt runs at a greater circumference in the clutch when at top speed, which also allows the clutches to run cooler. a normal polaris secondary will run the belt down to about a 6" diameter circumference, which leaves about 8" of belt surface area contacted with the secndary at top speed.
    -- the arctic cat secondary, will push the belt down to about a 4.25" diameter circumference in the clutch which only leaves about 4.5-5" of belt surface area in contact with the secondayr. since there is so much less belt touching the clutch, meaning the belt is generating tons more friction wrapped at the base of the clutch. running for a high load, for a prolonged period, at top speed, generates more heat in the cat clutch which will melt the glue in the belt and allow the belt to come apart.

lemme say this, the cat is a wicked machine, and whatever you did to cook your belt, just back it down a notch or two and save the belt. you are not in the boat by yourself. head on over to the commander forums and read about belt problems, i can guarantee you that there are at least 2 open threads on the home page about belt problems, and these machines have been out almost 2 years and are still an awesome seller and EVERY single commander slips belts, their stock clutch IS DESIGNED TO SLIP BELTS UNDER LOADS in order to keep from grenading a diff or axles, which eats belts for breakfast. the cat has a spike load dampner in the rear end, but the can-am primary is designed to slip under loads. i have had owners with as little as 6 miles on a commander blowing their first belt. you gotta awesome machine believe me it could be worse

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Do the metal clucth cover have anything to do with heat problems with belts ?

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Adam thanks again for Teaching me some clucht things you really know your stuff too bad jet skies do not have clutches, otherwise i would ask you to work on mines

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    I'm glad someone finally brought up belt break in. If I remember correctly my RZR had the procedure in the owners manual, I didn't see one in the Cat manual. It just makes sense to break in your belt. I also wonder how many people put the Cat in High side and never use Low side. Again, my RZR manual had reccommended speeds for Low and High range. I don't have many miles on my Cat yet (waiting on tires) but most of my time has been woods trails and Low range. Just about anything under 40mph and I'm in Low. By the way I hate the shift pattern in the Cat, it should be reverse, neutral, and low (makes backing up for those tight corners easier).

Dwight

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    I run in high gear most of the time and I am under 40 mph. I can't imagine how hard it would be to control running in low. I am not just putting though. Dirts bikes they always say run in a higher gear as long as you don't lug the engine, which I don't do. The suspension is loaded tighter and harder to control in lower gear when you don't need to be. I know its not a bike but I don't think the belt could be a problem in high as long as you don't lug the engine. The high/low would have to do with the final drive. If anything I could see more potential to slip in low if you are higher rpm and snaping the throttle but with the wet clutch I doubt that even. If some how I am wrong someone please explain.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I just talked to my mechanich and told me they are working on a new and improved belt for all of us abusive drivers the belts are going to be reinforced with CHUCK NORRI'S BALLS HAIR
    Dentless likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    553 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hxloco View Post
    ^^^^^^that's exactly what i was going to say but in spanish
    Baxter, you know I don't understand Spanish..................

Member #
    Liked
    553 times
    For the record, 2 Prowlers (same clutch) owned for 6 years and no broken belts...............

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentless View Post
    For the record, 2 Prowlers (same clutch) owned for 6 years and no broken belts...............

Which means what????

Member #
    Liked
    553 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKEL310 View Post
    Which means what????
    It means that the Prowler 1000 I owned had the same motor and clutch as the Wildcat and I never wasted a belt. And I believe the original Prowler also had an almost identical clutch and I also never went through a belt on that one. 6 years total and never toasted a belt. But I kept the stock tire size and never ran for 20 miles wide open.................

Member #
    Liked
    101 times
    Theres A High Gear In The Wildcat
    45 is Fast For Me So Low Gear Works Out Fine
    And Have Had No Belt Problems
    2012 Black Wildcat #00007 Countrycat
    27.5 Pitbull Growlers 11" On All 4 Discount Tire
    Vision 161 Bruiser 14" Rims All Black Discount Tire
    Rigid 10"SR10DW Led Front Lite Benchmark Performance
    Harness Bar & Belts UTV Inc.
    Good For 5'Of Mud