Wildcat Forum banner

Anyone using shock boots on their Wildcat?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  ASHMAN 
#1 ·
Almost 1400 miles on the 4X ltd and both rear Elka's are ready to puke! One has had the shaft come out of the shock eye but that was a fluke I think, problem is that the plastic slider that fits between the springs is eating the shock bodies in a hurry. I find it odd that my Walkers had no such problems in 4800 miles. Have had Ohlins, Kayba, Showa, Fox, Walkers, KYB and a few other brands over the years, but have never experienced this type of wear in such a short period of time, really starting to wonder about all the hype. Not much good if they only look and perform well for 1000 miles, had I shelled out the cash instead of them coming as original equipment I would be really upset! Calipers Measuring instrument Tool
Tire Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Technology Auto part
Pipe Metal
Just not durable enough to survive my riding conditions? Anyone else having these issues?:unknw:

See less See more
#4 ·
It does look like a bit of side thrust but more so to do with the mud that I drive through before hitting dusty conditions I believe. Dust sticks to wet muddy shock and the plastic slider turns to sand paper! The mud sort of lubes it but it also attracts abrasive dirt, reason I would like to find boots.

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah, that seems like way too much wear? I would look for a warranty claim first. Let us know what happens. Back to your original question, do they even make shock boots for SXSs?

#7 ·
Not really worried about warranty, dealer will take care of that, without shock covers next set will be toast in no time. Found some PRP covers but they are only 17 in long and I will need 25 in or more possibly. Lot of money in shocks for such limited use, especially when throwing in a set of Walkers for comparison that have 4x the use with no wear at all. For the record I did change the spring sliders in my 2012 just before I sold it because they were worn, the shocks were perfect though.

#10 ·
I was always under the same impression too. About the only place you could get away with using them is the dunes. But once again, if they make something that big, could be worth a try.

#11 ·
Is it an aluminum shock body?
If your dual rate coils are not clocked properly they will cause excessive ware on your shock body. If your coils spring is damaged and bowed it will also cause this ware.

I dont think shock covers will help, I would use them if your kicking up rocks and nicking the shock shaft.
Coil Covers - PAC Racing Springs

#12 ·
Is it an aluminum shock body?
If your dual rate coils are not clocked properly they will cause excessive ware on your shock body. If your coils spring is damaged and bowed it will also cause this ware.

I dont think shock covers will help, I would use them if your kicking up rocks and nicking the shock shaft.
Coil Covers - PAC Racing Springs
Yes they're an aluminum body, then are hard coated for wear resistance.

With all the trouble you're having with these Id definitely be on the phone with Elka, seems you got a bad set, I've never seen that before.

#13 ·
Tried contacting them, but made the mistake of saying they were on a Wildcat that was under warranty, no response! Thanks Ashman, the link to the boots is what I was looking for, gotta try something even if I have to remove them after each ride. The lower springs on my Walkers were pulverized by rocks yet no body damage to the shocks, odd. Think I will have to let the dealer sort it out, as per replacement, but will have to figure the root cause before the next set goes on.

#14 ·
The eyelet may have begun wobbling before it let go, this may have contributed to the excessive wear, have to remove the other shock for inspection now.

#15 ·
Limit straps should be added to protect the shock eyes from pulling out.
here is a picture of coil spring clocking. The ends of the coils should be on opposite sides 180degrees apart so the slider stays inline with the shock body.

Attachments

#16 ·
So in your opinion? Text Font Screenshot
Line Wire
This is the shock that didn't break, but is worn the same way. Springs are stacked on top of each other and wear is 180 degrees opposite to that.:ponder:

#19 · (Edited)
Your coils are not aligned correctly. The two red lines should be on opposite sides of the shock body, yours are almost on top of each other. If you coils springs are warped or bowed you might get the dual rate slider straight by not exactly 180 clocking.

They move around on their own so its something to watch to minimize ware.
Wood Material property Siding Hardwood Plywood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.