Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New skat-trak 30" paddle tires

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

New skat-trak 30" paddle tires

Hey Guys Skat-Trak has been working on this one for a while now and Came up with a new Tire that starts life out as a 6ply tire.
    Here are the specs for the 30" tire Skat-Trak made for me The casing 30x14* they installed 9 Extreme paddles on it.* The tire weight was 20.2 lbs The wheel weight is 10.1 lbs.* The tire and wheel mounted weighed 30.3 lbs. The roll out with 10 lbs of air pressure was 90" exactly measuring The height of the tire from the floor measured 28 1/2" tall.** Ouch* thats huge my Tire is 2lbs heavier with the Rim than a STU. WOW!!!* especially when you add it up.* Every one here can probably agree that the STUs have a lot of excess* Rotating mass and unsprung weight hanging out there Correct.* So what tire and wheel combination will Accelerate faster* and handle better.** That being said, you argue that the heavy 4 ply STUs are better for dunning how is that when a lighter tire combo accelerates faster and runs higher speeds.* You say what?** The Skat lays over and doesn't get the traction.* Really!** If they laid over that far they would come off the beads.* The only time i see tire off the beads is after a crash. So for Dune riding I don't see the need for a bead lock wheel.
    I stopped by Skat-Trak on Thursday and they had a nice looking STI wheel 14" that weighed in at 12 I think so that's not to bad for a good looking wheel. but not as light as the Spun Wheels. I see the 50 Caliber Bead locks Weigh in pretty damn light to. so there's a few good choices out there.
    Im going refer you to call Tim Kelly at Extreme Tire in Phoenix Az at 602-576-1043Name:  skat 1.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  57.2 KB

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    warlock do you work for skat trak? you sure do go above and beyond to pimp them....I like skats, had them on the WC..but I hope you get paid for all the stu bashing you do.
    Last edited by thunder45; 09-28-2013 at 06:45 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    X2, I mean it's great you love Skats, but you come off as THE authority on paddles. Many of us went throughthis last year, during dune season. You keep telling all the members to get 8 paddle Skats, there the best. Yeah, if you have aquad, IMO. I just hope there aren t members disappointed when they realize that the STU paddle is a better, yet way more expensive tire. I'm no expert, never clamined to be, when I need to talk to experts I went to Fullerton's, and Joe, or Dave will tellyou straight up what the best paddle is for the Cat, or the XP. IMO and I'm not going to get in an internet arguement, Skats are a good, cheaper alternative, but the STU paddle is better of the two.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    X2, I mean it's great you love Skats, but you come off as THE authority on paddles. Many of us went throughthis last year, during dune season. You keep telling all the members to get 8 paddle Skats, there the best. Yeah, if you have aquad, IMO. I just hope there aren t members disappointed when they realize that the STU paddle is a better, yet way more expensive tire. I'm no expert, never clamined to be, when I need to talk to experts I went to Fullerton's, and Joe, or Dave will tellyou straight up what the best paddle is for the Cat, or the XP. IMO and I'm not going to get in an internet arguement, Skats are a good, cheaper alternative, but the STU paddle is better of the two.
    I push the Skat-Traks because they work the best. I have been riding in Glamis for over 20 years now with various machines over the years and a few years back I to was sent over to Fullertons shop and they acted like they were the end all Authority on Paddles and Pushed me into the STU tires like they Push every customer towards them. I know they have both brands sitting there and the reason why they Push the STUs so damn hard is Because those molded tires make them the most Money. think about it they open a box and sell them or cut off a few blades. Skats profit margins are thin because they start out life as knobbie tire that then requires a full blown Shop with lots of expensive machines and Employees which cost lots of money the last time I checked especially in the state of California Jeeez should I break it all down. So then they Buff the tires down and Vulcanize the paddles that there foundry makes from Raw Rubber and molds into the Variety of paddle sizes. and The whole Process is very time consuming and Kinda slow. Skat-Traks are by no means a cheap alternative to any tire they are #1 and everything else is the cheap alternative. weight is a big deal on these low HP toys and especially unsprung weight. a lighter weight tire combo will spin up RPM faster so that will give you better acceleration and higher top speeds with less rolling resistance. The flat profile of the Heavy STU tires has more rolling resistance in the sand since there so flat. The Stu tire and Wheel combos are roughly 10lbs heavier than a Skat Combo so you guys tell me how your Wildcats will like that extra wheel weight. I have tried every tire out there over the years and Im telling you I always go back to Skats. I don't drink the Fullerton Kool-Aid because he Sells what makes him the most money period. He sells the STU tire and wheel combo for $2300+tax that's absolutely ridiculous. Sure people that got talked into spending that kind of coin are gonna tell you that there the best think since Grape Kool-Aid well they will never know the truth until there Buddy with Skats on His car just walks away from him LOL. STU guys are stuck with some high dollar Junk. Just Sayin.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    It's hard to read through your first post, but I would like some more info. I too like skats. So what is the overall height from ground to top of paddles? 28.5" even though it is a 30" tire? Also do you have these mounted on your wildcat yet? Are they heavier than the 28" STU? If so will they hit the rear fender? Last question. Do you know what the price is going to be for these tires?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Conquest View Post
    It's hard to read through your first post, but I would like some more info. I too like skats. So what is the overall height from ground to top of paddles? 28.5" even though it is a 30" tire? Also do you have these mounted on your wildcat yet? Are they heavier than the 28" STU? If so will they hit the rear fender? Last question. Do you know what the price is going to be for these tires?
    The 28 STUs are going to be way heavier than the Skats. The STUs with a rim is at the Minimum 10lbs heavier than a Skat-Trak. Here are the specs for the 30" tire Skat-Trak made for me The casing 30x14* they installed 9 Extreme paddles on it.* The tire weight was 20.2 lbs The wheel weight is 10.1 lbs.* The tire and wheel mounted weighed 30.3 lbs. The roll out with 10 lbs of air pressure was 90" exactly measuring The height of the tire from the floor measured 28 1/2" tall.** Ouch* thats huge my Tire and Rim is 2lbs heavier with the than the STU with out a Rim. I have no Idea what the Prices will be on the SKat-Trak tires. call Tim Kelly at Extreme Tire in Phx AZ 602 576 1043

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    If you play in soft sand, and need to run anything less than 10 lbs air pressure, you will need beadlocks. You sure the hell don't have to crash to roll a bead off, just drive aggressively like the car was designed to do. And STUs are a much better overall paddle performance wise than Skats. I've owned both. C-Ya!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MCR500 View Post
    If you play in soft sand, and need to run anything less than 10 lbs air pressure, you will need beadlocks. You sure the hell don't have to crash to roll a bead off, just drive aggressively like the car was designed to do. And STUs are a much better overall paddle performance wise than Skats. I've owned both. C-Ya!!
    Well we have a Group of Guys that Race SXS and we drive like its a race to nowhere and we don't have Blown Beads ever. STUs will never hang with a SKAT-TRAK Tire . But the guys who got Sold on the $2300 STUs have to love them since they own them with a Firm Grip. LOL Name:  IMG_1861.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  142.3 KB

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    We have gone thru this before, read your threads. My STUs comp cut weigh under 16 lbs, with bead lock wheel from Dougles the package is 31 lbs. that is a rear tire package. I do not really understand your need to bash STUs or people that own them. I have said many times on the forum come on out, we will play and test them. Scats are a great combo, but check out all the toys in the sand, there is a reason the large percentage of toys have STUs, they work better. Take any kind of care and you can make them last years. Will be at Glamis near the end of October, will be more than happy to try to keep up with you and your buddies thru the dunes, Kevin.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Are those the STU 28" ??

Quote Originally Posted by warlock View Post
    Well we have a Group of Guys that Race SXS and we drive like its a race to nowhere and we don't have Blown Beads ever. STUs will never hang with a SKAT-TRAK Tire . But the guys who got Sold on the $2300 STUs have to love them since they own them with a Firm Grip. LOL Name:  IMG_1861.JPG
Views: 708
Size:  142.3 KB

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Links