A peg legged cat! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: A peg legged cat!

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    I bought my roll pins at Lowes.I bought them too long and cut them to perfect size with a dremel tool
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    Evo Turbo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Mine is getting roll pins, retainer plates with socket welded on and red loctite....... Once was more than enough for me!

Member #
    Liked
    238 times

A peg legged cat!

IMO you don't need the roll pins. Just the socket properly welded on and I use red loctite
    Phatcat likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Took my new retainer plates with sockets in to welder to have them made up while im gone on vacation this next week. That should take care of axle nut issue. Also have new trailing arm bushing and wheel bearing being pressed into knuckle on the damaged side. Hopefully get it all together when I come back home.

Member #
    Liked
    1994 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
    Mine is getting roll pins, retainer plates with socket welded on and red loctite....... Once was more than enough for me!
    If you have to change an axle while out on the trail you'll need a punch to get the roll pin out, a torch to melt the red locktite, and the proper socket with a long handle and cheater bar.

If you do only the retainer plate all you need is the socket wrench and a decent breaker bar. Just sayin...

When you change the axle in the comfort of your garage make sure to keep track of ALL the tools you use -- then be sure they're duplicated in your trail bag. Ha!!! If you do all this Grasshopper, then the stars will align and you'll probably never break an axle again.
    AZStrip, Ron380, Phatcat and 2 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    /\ /\ /\ /\ I hear ya loud and clear Rockhopper.......... It was such a bear getting it out of the woods not to mention expensive to fix....... that I want to do everything I can to ensure it does not happen again.......lol. Perhaps skip the red loctite and just rely on the plates. But I will have extra axles with me as well. I have not ordered it yet but a new drive coupler will be in my kit as well for my next big trip in June.
    Rockhopper likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Picked up my retainer plates from the shop today. Debated between 6 and 12 point sockets figured 12 would be easier to line up with axle nut. 6 would have more surface on the nut but went with 12. Hope they work well. I think they did a nice job on them. Now when I get some time I can get my cat back together.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Sand-n-Sea likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7463 times
    Picked up my retainer plates from the shop today. Debated between 6 and 12 point sockets figured 12 would be easier to line up with axle nut. 6 would have more surface on the nut but went with 12. Hope they work well. I think they did a nice job on them. Now when I get some time I can get my cat back together.
    I hope the work, but.........

They look more rounded than sharp edge. If that axle nut turns, it can round those out too, IMO.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    255 times
    They look great and I can't imagine they will fail. The socket is hardened steel and because of the thickness of your cut, the contact area is large. No room for a roll pin with how you made them, but I don't see that as an issue either.
    Rockhopper likes this.
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    Evo Turbo

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Well I hope they do. They will be part of my pre and post ride inspection. I looked over the cat the day this happened however because I wanted my wheels to look pretty with center caps....... I did not see the axle nut coming loose. No more caps! Certainly more protection than what I had prior. Finding deep well sockets with enough meat to use was a challenge. Ended up buying 2 regular sockets. I will red loctite the nut and carry a small map TORCH along with an extra axle. Rockhopper made a good point about the roll pin and needing a punch to change in the field so I thought with more meat in the socket it would be fine. Clearly a cotter pin is useless. I hate to use the loctite but I also hate tearing up axles, bearings and brakes. Not too much more that I can do.
    Last edited by Phatcat; 05-08-2017 at 12:33 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1994 times
    Well I hope they do. They will be part of my pre and post ride inspection. I looked over the cat the day this happened however because I wanted my wheels to look pretty with center caps....... I did not see the axle nut coming loose. No more caps! Certainly more protection than what I had prior. Finding deep well sockets with enough meat to use was a challenge. Ended up buying 2 regular sockets. I will red loctite the nut and carry a small map TORCH along with an extra axle. Rockhopper made a good point about the roll pin and needing a punch to change in the field so I thought with more meat in the socket it would be fine. Clearly a cotter pin is useless. I hate to use the loctite but I also hate tearing up axles, bearings and brakes. Not too much more that I can do.
    My 12 point set has worked great for years, no pins, no cotter key, no lock-tite. (Plenty of contact area) And my crappy welds have held up too... Ha! Name:  ScreenShot06719.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  241.2 KB

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    135 times
    Not a crappy weld if it has held together! Function vs beauty...... I pick function every time..... My cat is in my enclosed trailer. Need to get it together enough to get the tire on it and limp it into the shop. Raining here in NC today. Good project for today.
    Last edited by Phatcat; 05-09-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links