Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Manual Transmission

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Just got back from Dumont this was my first trip with the Predator in the dunes... My first time in the dunes in the pilots seat... When I bought the car the P.O. tells me "In the dunes I had no problem keeping up with the guys in there V-8 cars", I'm thinking B.S! Well guys no shit I was on them like stink on stuff I had to back-off and go find another big buggy to follow, it would last maybey 2-3 minutes and I was eating the sand comming off the tires. What I found is there shifting and I am in the peak RPM the whole time. I am not kidding it got to be hard to follow most of the time I just broke away because I am new at this and with this car, I didn't know if I was pissin them off or???
    Lessons I learned #1... Don't stop in the dunes, Yeap I got stuck and buried up to the skid plate. The other duners out there are just awesome 10-12 guys stop, lift up one side then the other the sand fills in and done. (I will now carry one of those bar type racheting jacks and only stop headed downhill)... Lesson #2 When the rear wheels are off the ground DO NOT BE ON THE GAS! I swear I thought the rears were planted, anyway I broke both inner CV's on touch down, again the Dumont Dunes community to Mr. dumb-ass's rescue. Pretty shitty feeling stuck in the middle of nowere and watching as the sun is going down...
    Anyhow that CVT absolutly worked in the Dunes & of course 175 H.P. helps. (might be comparing Apples to Oranges), Either way with this experiance I would not trade for any manual.
    BIG PLUS... The Predator fit in the Toy Hauler with stock VW street tires!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26 times

Member #
    Liked
    117 times
    Looks like he is having fun!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snokid View Post
    Yep on open roads a manual would be fun, get on tight twisty trails with plenty of rough sections . . . . . not so much.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TxChristopher View Post
    Yep on open roads a manual would be fun, get on tight twisty trails with plenty of rough sections . . . . . not so much.
    My ATV is a manual and we ride a lot of tough rocky sections. I bought mine and my wifes specifically because they were both manual shift. I don't mind shifting a bit. In fact it gives you a lot more control on tough downhill sections. I prefer the ability to decide which gear to use and the fact that the brakes get less use with engine braking. The one complaint I had while riding my sons WC in the mountains was the fact that you have to keep blipping the throttle to keep the clutch engaged on steep downhill sections. I know a WCD would help some in this regard but not completely. If there was a manual option I would buy it. But then I enjoy being different from the crowd.
    The Cat Family!
    2007 Arctic Cat 400m
    2008 Arctic Cat 500m
    2012 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Windrock ATV Club Member
    East Tennessee ATV Riders Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    You shift "a lot" but in the rough you leave it in one gear like every other rider does. I owned plenty of manual 3 wheelers and dirt bikes, when you are getting pounded or antcipate getting pounded you pick which gear you think will work best and go with it. Not as efficient as a properly tuned CVT which is always in the best gear. Not even close.

Member #
    Liked
    440 times
    I think a manual tranny becomes an extension of you, you don't even think about shifting..you shift, doesn't matter what the terrain. If it's to rough to shift your probably going fast enough for conditions or you need better suspension. My buggy is a 4-speed and the fun factor is 5X that of my Wildcat. They both have advantages and disadvantages. With a manual you can feather the clutch or kick your clutch, I do that all the time. You control the rpm's. If I had the option of a 4-speed in my Wildcat...hands down it would have 4-speed!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by snokid View Post
    This is exactly why I would like a manual option. That thing totally rocks! And yes, I completely agree that it might be a bit less ideal in the rougher/tighter areas but the fun factor when it opens up would so outweigh that minor drawback I think. At least for me anyway (and seemingly for a few others as well). I think it's not a matter of which is better or worse, it's what the individual would prefer to drive. One thing I thought about that is a MAJOR advantage to me as well is the ability to left foot brake while hard on the throttle - then turning radius doesn't mean as much as even when going fairly slow, I suspect you can get these things to rotate rather quickly using that technique.
    Last edited by thejean; 10-31-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    165 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TxChristopher View Post
    You shift "a lot" but in the rough you leave it in one gear like every other rider does. I owned plenty of manual 3 wheelers and dirt bikes, when you are getting pounded or antcipate getting pounded you pick which gear you think will work best and go with it. Not as efficient as a properly tuned CVT which is always in the best gear. Not even close.
    Properly tuned or not the manual is still always engaged with the engine, the CVT is not. Correct me if I'm wrong but once the clutch disengages from the belt then your basically in neutral unless you get RPM's up enough to re-engage. I have no experience with CVT's but hear a lot of people complain about downhilling with ATV's and UTV's due to no engine braking. Besides CVT's require no skill to go fast. It's kinda like drag racing with an automatic vs a stick. It is alot more fun to race while shifting gears and watching the guys that can bang the gears. I'm with Wildoffroad, they are an extension of the driver.
    The Cat Family!
    2007 Arctic Cat 400m
    2008 Arctic Cat 500m
    2012 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Windrock ATV Club Member
    East Tennessee ATV Riders Member

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1260 times
    Oh I am with you, they are fun, but performance is what they lack. A manual in the current SxS's would sap performance like crazy, especially in the chase or race games so many like to use these for.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Links