Wildcat Forum banner

roofs

40K views 194 replies 46 participants last post by  SteveAhReeno 
#1 ·
Aluminum or plastic, which is the way to go?

#3 ·
There is actually an aluminum / plastic composite sign material that makes for some very nice trailer siding and or roofs for your machine.

#6 ·
I have the AC quick release plastic roof. I like it alot. The plastic/ aluminum product that Black Cat is referring to is Alumalite. We use it in my graphics shop as a substrate for signs.

#8 ·
Thats just evil dude.

#10 ·
IMO, AJ has the best roof going.

#13 ·
#14 ·
Just bought a 36X48" sheet of aluminum for 70.00.....taking it to work and fab a roof to my liking.

Reactions: liquid1
#16 ·
I just make it into my enclosed trailer with the AC roof. Backing out, I need someone sitting shotgun to drop it a half inch, or I catch the roller on the trailer door.

Reactions: liquid1
#17 ·
I have the AC plastic roof which ive torn off once already. Not really a fan of how it makes my machine look like the batmobile. Once i modify the stock cage and remove the center hump section ill be making a flat roof from HDPE or UHWM plastic, cant beat that stuff. Takes a beating and springs back into shape. Its the same materials AJs roof is made from so if you are looking for a good plastic premade roof id go with him.

#19 ·
does anyone know how the different roofs, i.e. a/c, emp, aj, kolpin, etc. will work for those of us using clamps/brackets like those made by tusk that secure other items from the upper roll cage horizontal bars (front/back)? i'm concerned with clearance between the roof and the roll cage bars...

#20 ·
The AC plastic roof has a fairly forgiving gasket that seals against the rollbars front and rear so it should form itself around the aftermarket clamps pretty good. I had to modify my ac roof after i tore it off so now it has the quick clamps and rubber padded clamps as well. Next time it tears off there wont be enough left to fix.

#21 ·
i just didn't care for the "batmobile look" of the a/c plastic roof when i saw it at the dealer...the one they rec'd had a crack in the top/middle/front of the roof...was concerned about the quality if it cracked during shipment in a cardboard box...for now my best bet is keeping the bimini top we currently have...allows flexibility of attachments and keeps the sun off of us at high altitude...

#22 ·
Not much of a fan of the batmobile look either but it keeps my head dry. The clamps ripped right out of mine and i had to melt it all back in place with a blow torch then add conduit clamps to all 4 corners to keep it from ripping off again. Not an item id buy again. Next one will be made from 3/8" HDPE plastic, flat with no center hump.

#23 ·
Anybody know how much the one from AJs goes for?

#26 ·
You guys probably won't care for my roof, but that's okay too since it has to please me...
i don't ride hard core and blaze new trails, but will be going out to do some trail riding in AZ next winter and the sun really wrecks havoc on me... I re-purposed a hood off of one of my old Corvette Racecars that I could not give away at the swap meet last spring..

so - make mine Fiberglass!

#29 ·
Hi Dean,

the side mirrors are EMGO from Amazon. Hope this link works:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00230DQM4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The brackets are TUSK billet aluminum brackets I found on eBay for $9.95 each. I bought six of them. Four are used to mount the roof.
The mirrors work really well with no bad vibration effects. I was out on a county road on Sunday and had it just a bit over 60 mph and the mirrors were still clear.
Face it, you don't use your mirrors to read road signs or books - but they should be clear enough for you to make out your traffic to a reasonable degree.. I am still going to mount a wink mirror at the top of the rollcage to give me a better view directly behind me.

#30 ·
I got the kolpin roof, waiting to get mine back from shop to install. got 20% off at their website I think it was $170ish shipped. Will try to post pics once installed. Looks a lot like AJs minus the fin on the back.

#39 · (Edited)
Someone posted on the Sport thread a picture of AJ's roof on….got the bolts going through…looks great. My aluminum came in today….I'm going to use it for the lower door panels instead of fabbing it for the roof……AJ's roof and price is going to be too hard to turn down.

Thats a nice roof JoshD, was going to fab mine just like the EMP……do you have the EMP back window? Thinking of getting it to, really like their full windshield on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.