Sticky primary? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Sticky primary?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Need to draw on some wisdom please. Last ride after and hour is deeper snow couldn't shift unless I turned off motor. Didn't know if it packed the clutch housing with snow or was like issues I read here with dirty primary keeping rpm up a hair. Pulled the cover at home, spotless, belt perfect. Secondary clean sheaves, primary overall, clean. Checked the bolts for cam arms, 2 moved freely with a hair of back and forth sliding, 3rd bolt stiffer, no sliding unless forced, even though clearance to move as other 2 have. Sprayed with really good brake clean, no residue whatsoever with this stuff. this 3rd bolt flushed more black stuff out at bolt head and around the oem shims than the other 2 but was still very little. Got a bit better rotation and slide from this bolt after flushing a couple times but still not as free as other 2. We just got back to -26C so not motivated to play with shifting and would need to get it warmed up good to be sure of action. Should I pull the bolt and clean/check corrosion possibilities on it? If I do do I just pull the 6 bolt cover to releive spring pressure to drop arm bolt out? I have done 18 speed clutches, but this cvt stuff is just plain new to me! Have the speedwerx spring in secondary, but this seems to be a primary issue.. I think! Appreciate any advise.
    I have the same problem with a 2014 trail xt clean with brake cleaner first time helped for a short time, 2nd time i cleaned with brake cleaner and applied some pb blaster dry silicone lube on primary clutch slides and any place i could with a q tip while someone reved the engine, this is working for me for now

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dhorn View Post
    I have the same problem with a 2014 trail xt clean with brake cleaner first time helped for a short time, 2nd time i cleaned with brake cleaner and applied some pb blaster dry silicone lube on primary clutch slides and any place i could with a q tip while someone reved the engine, this is working for me for now
    Thanks for suggestion. Was thinkin about same thing.. if it isn't working better after all the cleaning it will get weicon anti friction spray. Bone dry, -185c to 400c working range, mos2 base. used to use on big forklift carriages-you could slide them with 2 fingers for weeks before it started to wear away.. Can't hurt if it gets nowhere near sheaves etc..
    de3 likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRONT BUMPER / MOD'D HALF WINDSHIELD / LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS / DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    JOBBER SOFT BACK PANEL / PRP 4.2 HARNESSES / DF HARNESS BAR / SLED SIDE MIRRORS / SEIZMIK REARVIEW MIRROR
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER WITH SPARK ARRESTER / R2C AIR FILTER / SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS / 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS / VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR / KOLPIN SAW PRESS / PLANO 1719 TOTE
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak kitty View Post
    Dropped at dealer today, he said they will look at it tommorow, clean and inspect and go from there.
    Sak kitty, any feed back from your dealer??
    Sak kitty likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRONT BUMPER / MOD'D HALF WINDSHIELD / LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS / DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    JOBBER SOFT BACK PANEL / PRP 4.2 HARNESSES / DF HARNESS BAR / SLED SIDE MIRRORS / SEIZMIK REARVIEW MIRROR
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER WITH SPARK ARRESTER / R2C AIR FILTER / SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS / 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS / VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Mechanic at dealer removed, cleaned, and lubed the primary clutch. He said he couldn't get it to bind but that is the case until it gets fully warmed up. He said to take it out for a ride and he was going to call AC to find out what the next step was. He thought clutch replacement was the next step. He also said that AC was fixing some of these issues even out of warranty. I have about 20 days left. Going to ride it this weekend and I will report. STAY TUNED. I also purchased a clutch puller just in case I have to dalton it.
    de3 likes this.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Thanks for update. I am gonna look real close at the 2 way bearing condition and clean up(saw thread but can't remember who's-724?) I checked odo again, I'm under 400kms! But on extended warranty now. Might end up crying to dealer based on mileage if it isn't better. try for a scoot around the 10th.. Maybe I'm wrong but dalton is just a kit i think, can do it without primary removal...? Probably better to pull and have everything cleaned up same time but don't think it is a 'full" primary pkg.. I will be watchin how you make out, good luck! If you think of it quizz your tech re "lubed primary" everybody says to never do anything of the sort but I am leaning that way from some reports.
    Sak kitty likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Dry Teflon spray, goes on wet then drys. No residue. Only lubes the end shaft where the split bearing is. Then cleans faces of the clutch. Flyweights are nice and loose. He also checked belt alignment. All was good. Dalton is just a kit, bought puller in case I have to put different clutch on or polish mine.
    de3 likes this.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    rear cover heat mod
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    You don't need puller for Dalton.
    One big advantage of the Dalton is the seals that go on the pins between the flyweights & the towers.
    When I took mine apart to install I found corrosion on the flyweight pins.
    I cleaned them up & lithium'd them, then the Dalton button pretty much seal the area the flyweights rotate on
    Sak kitty likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Has anybody had the sticky stock clutch, installed the dalton kit and it got better? Trying to narrow down what's going on with the primary clutch. I think it's the center section (split bearing) not having enough tolerance when warm to disengage, I was hoping the dalton spring maybe would help to hold it out off of the belt.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    rear cover heat mod
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2085 times
    Dean, the forum member you might be looking for is cr724. You can PM him and see if that's who your looking for.
    2014 Wildcat Trail - RED

Muzzy: complete exhaust system - Dobeck: Gen 4 AFR+ fuel tuner - Speedwerx: clutch spring - R2C Performance: air filter - A/C: steel bumpers front and rear, Warn winch, rearview mirror, full windshield, polycarbonate rear panel, front storage box, shoulder bag - AJ's: fender flares, radiator guards - Dragongunner: brake reservoir guard - Sak kitty: parking brake - SuperATV: rack & pinion stabilizer kit - EMP: aluminum roof, smack back buggy mirrors - SSS Off Road: skid plate - Dragonfire: harness bar - UTV Inc: 3" padded 4 pt. harnesses (red) - Bandit: spring set - Kimpex: Expedition Sport Trunk - Wolfsnout: goggles & dust mask - Garage Products: suspension bushings

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dspete05 View Post
    Dean, the forum member you might be looking for is cr724. You can PM him and see if that's who your looking for.
    Thanks dspete05, found the thread, I don't got the engine trouble he had, but his clip on the clutch made me think to really concentrate on the 2 way and be sure no shite is in there.. thanks cr724!
    dspete05 likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    244 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak kitty View Post
    I was hoping the dalton spring maybe would help to hold it out off of the belt.
    I don't have the sticking problem but the Dalton Primary spring is softer, I believe, than the stock spring, so shouldn't be of any help to open a sticky Primary.

What about the idler the belt sits on when the clutch is disengaged?
    I know the belts are very tight so if that idler bearing is sticking it would cause a heavy drag on the clutch.
    I guess you could check by making sure there's clearance between the belt & outer sheave, then when you start it if it's dragging them has to be the idler.
    Sak kitty likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Looked at the diagram on country cat and it doesn't show a 2 way bearing. It's just a machined face that the belt rides in?
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    rear cover heat mod
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    look at thread by cr724, clutch problems. has a good pic with text in it. without primary pulled off you dont see it the same sak kitty. i did the parts look up too previously..
    Sak kitty likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    377 times
    Can't find it
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    rear cover heat mod
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Sorry search " bearing". It will be 5or 6 down titled clutch problems.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links