2nd muffler destroyed
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 2nd muffler destroyed

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

2nd muffler destroyed

First time posting here so go easy on me!

We bought a 2014 Wildcat 4x 8 months ago. Thought it was a good first side by side to get into because it only had 200 miles on it and the price was right. A few month in I was riding in the desert when my stock muffler started falling apart. Extended warranty would not cover it so I purchased a Speedwerx L2 muffler and Power Commander to ensure it didn't run lean. At that point the unit had about 700 hours on it. Last weekend we had our first chance to head out to the desert for a ride more than just cruising around the farm. Unit had about 900 miles on it. Everything was fine till we got on a good road and picked up speed. The L2 blew right off the machine and threw the core into a bush starting a fire. Luckily we were able to put it out before it got big. The canister of the L2 pulled right off the base which is still attached to the header. Some of the bolts sheared off but a few of them stayed with the base and the canister pulled right through them. Any idea what could have caused 2 different style mufflers to have catastrophic failure like this? Seems to me like the exhaust temps are getting extremely hot and weakening the mufflers but I could be wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    More pics...Name:  KIMG0147.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  1.97 MBName:  KIMG0148.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  2.44 MBName:  KIMG0149.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  2.58 MB

More info:
    Coolant temps were between 185 and 202 the entire day.
    We had the Speedwerx tune for the L2 loaded into the Power Commander.
    Recently installed a Dalton clutch kit
    We changed the oil before any of this happened.
    Besides changing the oil and adding the Power Commander we have not touched the motor.
    My background is more in semi trucks and agricultural equipment, I didn't grow up around small engine stuff like the Wildcat so this is all new to me.

Any direction you all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    298 times
    700 Hours?
    2018 GRN/BLK XX
    Speesdwerx Stage 2 Exterminator
    2014 Green X
    DragonFire twin pipes
    Dobeck Gen4 AFR
    ITP SS108
    DragonFire Flying V
    Speedwerx 105 BB
    FOX RC2's

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8908 times
    Quote Originally Posted by drako1 View Post
    700 Hours?
    I think he means miles.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8908 times
    Welcome AZmilkman, on this site nobody is going to give you a hard time, trust me. Let's go over some of this, you mean 700 miles, correct? 700 hours are almost impossible. To me, it seems like you have a very lean problem, which is producing a lot of heat. You say you have a tune, through the Power Commander. Who did it? Your temps are fine though, so it could be some type of exhaust issue. Give us anything else you can think of.

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Sorry, yeah I meant to say 700 miles.

We (son and I) installed the Power Commander after the stock muffler broke. It's from Speedwerx and the map in it is supposed to match the L2 muffler I installed at the same time.

I was thinking it could be running lean on the first muffler and was hoping the PC would help to solve that issue. The car was running real well up until the muffler blew up. That said we had not run it since before we put on the muffler, PC, and clutch kit so it may have been under performing for those mods and we wouldn't know it. We were also watching the coolant temps very closely because we didn't know what to expect from the new setup which is how I know it never ran hot all day.

Most of the day before the muffler failure was in slower trail riding. The failure happened both times right after or during higher speed runs.

What are some typical causes of these motors running lean? Can your exhaust get that hot without the coolant getting hot at all?

Like others on here I need to put it in neutral and give it a bit of gas to get it started.

It idles real rough on start up till it warms up.

Air filter needs to be replaced or washed. It's not caked dirty but it's not super clean.

That's all I can think of right now but I'll post anything else I remember.

Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    289 times
    Looks like the packing was baked down and clogged the exit. You need to disassemble the L2 every couple hundred miles. Remove the fiberglass packing, wire brush the core and spark screen, re-wrap the core tightly and reassemble. Moose has a good packing byt check with Speedwerx for their recommendation. Rather than spending $$ on a new muffler just rotate the base and redrill the holes in the body. Might need to weld the core back to the cap though.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm not familiar with this type of muffler so if this is a dumb question let me know. When the packing gets baked down does its color change? The little bit of packing I found was still white.

Also do you think there is no connection to having issues with both mufflers within a few hundred miles?

If I trade this unit in for a new one (if I can convince my wife...) I'll probably rebuild the L2. If I keep it I think I'll get the Speedwerx 2015 headers so I can put on the Q6 muffler. The L2 was way too loud for the family riding we do. I believe the 2015 headers will also allow me to add EGT and O2 sensors so I can monitor what's going on better. Also if I keep it I'll probably get the PC Auto Tune. We ride at about 1100 Ft elevation around Phoenix but plan on riding up in the mountains that can be as high as 7000 ft. so I think the auto tune would be useful.

Thanks for the input! I've learned a lot from reading through this forum!

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Got good news today from Speedwerx. They are going to replace the L2 muffler on warranty. Good to spend money with a company that stands behind their products.
    Hollywood and Craggar like this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8908 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmilkman View Post
    Got good news today from Speedwerx. They are going to replace the L2 muffler on warranty. Good to spend money with a company that stands behind their products.
    Well that is great news, but do you still have the lean condition / problem?

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    I installed a Dobeck AFR+ fuel controller on my 14x. AFR is constantly displayed and easily adjusted. No problems in 32,000 km and best money that I spent on the X.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Well that is great news, but do you still have the lean condition / problem?
    It's going in to the dealer today. Hopefully they can determine whether or not it's running lean. I really don't want to put the new muffler on just to have the same issues again. This is the dealer I purchased the unit from. I believe they used to be an AC dealer but are not anymore. I hope they have enough techs still around with AC experience.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Experience with the Power Commander is probably going to be more important than AC experience. The only thing they will need to know about the Wildcat is where to stick the O2 sensor/probe, assuming they have an AFR meter in their shop.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    make sure you are using 91 octane fuel that lower grade fuel will make it run hotter

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    Experience with the Power Commander is probably going to be more important than AC experience. The only thing they will need to know about the Wildcat is where to stick the O2 sensor/probe, assuming they have an AFR meter in their shop.
    Problem is that the first time it happened the machine was bone stock. Stock muffler and no PC. I installed the PC with Speedwerx map for the specific muffler I installed thinking it would solve any lean problem but it happened again. Makes me wonder if there is some other issue causing the problem. Is there anything other than an incorrect fuel map that could cause a lean AFR? The question seems counter intuitive but I don't know anything about these engines. Learning as I go.

Also I noticed the dealership had one other Cat sitting out back. Looked like it had the exact same problem- stock muffler looked like it got brittle and was falling apart and the bed had a big hole melted through it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links