No power steering
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times

No power steering

I have a 2012 wildcat 1000 not getting any power steering whatsoever please help me trouble shoot thanks

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9035 times
    Go through the easiest things first. Check your fuses, check your electrical connections. Report back after that.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Fuse is good wires are all connected

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    No error codes? The steering alone has maybe two dozen codes per the factory service manual for my '15 X. No code is probably a good thing, as the power steering is expensive to replace.

If you turn on the ignition and do not start the engine, the power steering will turn off after a certain length of time. I would turn on the ignition, get familiar with how hard it is to turn the wheel, then wait for the EPS to time out and see if it is harder. If it is, then the problem is mechanical. It could be the flex cable, but I think it is more likely that it is "down stream" from the EPS system, like the slider assembly or the rack and pinion box.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    No difference in power steering just feels like it's not working at all and no error codes . If it was a issue with the rack and pinion I would still get some type of assist right

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I fear the eps system is shot not sure how to test it

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9035 times
    Did you just buy this car, or was it yours? Was the power steering working at all before, and just quit? Have you looked down at the slider, and noticed that the felt pad is all wadded up? If it's a '12, guarantee the felt pad is wadded up, making the car harder to steer.

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat1000 View Post
    No difference in power steering just feels like it's not working at all and no error codes . If it was a issue with the rack and pinion I would still get some type of assist right
    That is why I suggested the "time out" test. Unless your R&P or slider is totally seized, you should be able to feel a difference when the EPS is functioning vs. when it gets turned off by the ECU.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    I just purchased the cat has never had power steering and I looked at the slider and noticed some felt pushed out of the seal but currently not getting any steering assist at all is there a way to test the eps

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    ... is there a way to test the eps
    See posts #4 and 8. If you can steer the front wheels at all, you should be able to feel a difference if the EPS is working.

Unless you have a code, the "time out" test should probably be the first thing anyone does when/if they think their EPS has gone out. If there is any assist, the problem is mechanical, i.e. the flex shaft, rack or slider. If there is no assist, start saving up for a new EPS or researching how to use a junkyard automotive EPS in place of the OEM unit.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9035 times
    I just purchased the cat has never had power steering and I looked at the slider and noticed some felt pushed out of the seal but currently not getting any steering assist at all is there a way to test the eps
    You're going to have to remove the pad for starters. It's going to bind up the steering even more as it continues to bunch up.

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    ... is there a way to test the eps
    See posts #4 and 8. If you can steer the front wheels at all, you should be able to feel a difference if the EPS is working.

Unless you have a code, the "time out" test should probably be the first thing anyone does when/if they think their EPS has gone out. If there is any assist, the problem is mechanical, i.e. the flex shaft, rack or slider. If there is no assist, start saving up for a new EPS or researching how to use a junkyard automotive EPS in place of the OEM unit.
    Well it sounds like it's the eps as I have no change when I try the "time out test"

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    Ouch.

You might check out item 123731847486 on ebay. There are a few things that would make me cautious about that listing:
    1) The price looks too good to be true ($400)
    2) it is called the correct p/n in one place (0505-829), but the listing (& the pic of the label) calls it 0505-896
    3) a recent review says the purchaser didn't notice the models that it fits and blew $400 on an EPS that he can't use. We are left to wonder if he has a different model Wildcat and the part is for a 1000 or X, or if he has a 1000 or X and the EPS isn't the right one
    4) I'm about 99.9% certain that all 1000 / X models use the same EPS, yet the listing is only for a '16 Wildcat X.

Maybe you can get more info from the seller?

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I have a 2014 Wildcat base. Having never driven an other Wildcat, I did not know mine was defective from day 1. It's been hard to turn all along, I thought it was normal. I just changed the rack and pinion because it was clicking. I bought an AJ's re-engineered rack & pinion and wedge block, got the neoprene gasket and today was the first day I had it together. The sliders were fine.

What a difference! It actually has power steering now! I don't know if it's related to OP but I don't think mine would have been the only one with bad steering from day 1! All the instructions on this forum helped me to get it done, too.
    June 2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat of the Month

2018 Wildcat Trail Limited.
    2014 Wildcat 1000 orange and black
    UTV CVT fan mod
    AJ's fender flares
    AJ's tub guards
    Factory front UHMW A-arm shields
    Factory UHMW rock sliders
    De Anza door inserts
    SuperATV lower high-clearance radius rods
    Road Kill aluminum roof
    Hood release mod