Problem

Thread: Problem

Member #

Problem

We just bought a 2013 1000x wildcat . We took it out for a weekend ride and the 2nd day wouldn't crack so we bought a agm battery $200 for it. And now it won't even crack up battery is good could it be stator or voltage regulator?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8945 times
    Possible starter issue?
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    That's what I was thinking. How can I check it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    The place I bought it from had to replace starter gear before I bought it it's like the starter is sluggish

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8945 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wax79 View Post
    The place I bought it from had to replace starter gear before I bought it it's like the starter is sluggish
    Take a good search through here. There are plenty of X starter issues, might give you some ideas.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    481 times
    Two things come to mind if the starter works, but doesn't seem to spin the engine as quickly as it should (i.e. sluggish): is it getting good power, and is it installed correctly, so that power isn't being lost by the starter running at an angle.

Power: Check all of the connections between the starter and the battery, making sure they are clean and tight. The starter relay is about 6" in front of the battery. I would try jumping the relay, since bad or dirty contacts inside of it can limit power to the starter and you probably don't know if the previous owner ran the 'cat through deep water. Most batteries are sold with only a partial charge. They almost always have enough juice to start the vehicle, but you should probably check battery voltage or just go ahead and charge it. Some AGM batteries can be damaged by charging at too high a voltage (high 14's, IIRC), so don't hook it up to a big wheeled charger and let it charge for hours (when a battery reaches full charge with a "dumb" charger that uses a timer, the voltage can go over 15v). BTDT, ruined an Odyssey, which is still my favorite battery brand.

Alignment: make sure the starter is bolted in tight. If everything else has been checked and seems okay, it is probably time to pull the stator cover (on the left side of the motor) and examine the starter drive components. There is an intermediate gear set between the starter and the flywheel. The X has a history of breaking the post that those intermediate gears mount on. Don't get too worried just yet, as I think that failure either results in a locked starter (jammed gears) or one that free-wheels (gears fall out of place, but don't jam).
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Thanks man I've checked everything except to see if starter bolts are tight . I think my regulator rectifier might be bad as well ...I get .088 on positive side and .487 negative side

Member #
    Liked
    444 times
    If the starter is not turning, I'm thinking the aluminum starter gear boss has failed and the gears not aligned and are jammed. Pull the stator cover and you will know.
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    160hp 992cc Big Bore Evo Turbo
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

Sponsored Links