Towing & trailer question.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Towing & trailer question.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Towing & trailer question.

Im really considering towing my sxs with my 2013 civic si coupe.
    Im trying to find the lightest 6x10 trailer on the planet

or im wondering .. could it be a safe option to use a dolly trailer ? (safe for the sxs) like front or rear tires on the dolly and the other tires on the ground? (its not planned for long distance but just a few miles)

Or.. simply using Tow bars kit that is attached directly to the frame. (then your sxs is the trailer...)

Or if you guys have any ideas. anyone is towing his SXS with a car? if so pictures and share experiences.

Thanks
    2018 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport Limited
    AC/Warn 3000lbs Winch + Front Brushguard Bumper + Rear Brushguard Bumper
    Full Polycarbonate Windshield + Polycarbonate Rear Panel + Rearview Mirror + Side Mirrors
    Kolpin Pro Series Roof

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    According to the 2013 Honda Civic Owners Manual:

Name:  Honda Civic.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  86.5 KB

If you want to be safe, you might need to look at alternative options to your Civic.
    Hollywood, Ron380 and SandSissy like this.
    2019 Wildcat XX
    Pro Armor 4PT Harnesses
    Viper 6K Winch
    Purchased 03/25/2019 @ MLS Powersports

2015 Wildcat Sport Limited

Front and Rear Steel Bumpers, Winch, Windscreen, Fender Flares, Pro Armor 4PT Harnesses, Factory UTV Harness Bar, Factory UTV Ultimate Skid Package, Bimini Top, Brake Reservoir, Protector, Speedwerx Secondary Spring, SAK Parking Brake, 27" GBC Dirt Commanders on stock 12" rims, PRP GT S.E. Seats
    Purchased 6/27/2015 - Sold March 2019

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8956 times
    Moved to Off Topic Discussion.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    It doesn't take too many miles for a side-by-side to show significant wear. I don't think I would want to add towing mileage to the total. I'd keep all four off the ground.

If you must tow, I would put the rear wheels on the dolly. There is a lot of stuff that spins when the rear wheels roll, plus with the locked rear axle one of the rear wheels has to scrub any time you turn.
    mtgott and chadarey like this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    272 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageStuffer View Post

If you want to be safe, you might need to look at alternative options to your Civic.
    THIS!! Not saying you need a 3/4 Ton Pickup, but consider buying or renting something rated to tow at least 2,000 lbs.! You want to have a "margin of error" when towing, so if your SxS + trailer weighs 1500 lbs., for example, you want to be sure to use something rated higher than that, not lower.
    There are quite a few vehicles out now that are rated to tow 2,000 lbs, including many of the smaller CUV's.
    2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT, RED.
    AC Underhood Box; SAC Kitty Parking Brake. Firewall Recall Done.
    Currently clean, after being dirty, after being really dirty, after being kinda clean, after being very dirty, after being clean...
    Wear a helmet!

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Something else to think about is my SXS on my trailer weighs around 1,800 lbs. The rated tow capacity of my 2 door Rubicon is 2,000 lbs it struggles at highway speeds (only 100 KPH) and on a slight grade it will drop to 3rd gear sometimes. I was surprised when I towed it for the first time and won't do it anymore unless it's less than a 1/2 or I have no choice.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with a few bolt ons, 2009 Rhino 700 with a few bolt ons, 1987 Buick Grand National with a few bolt ons.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    I would not recommend it. whats your budget for a trailer? if you only plan on short distance, would that amount buy you a small box truck that the cat would fit in? I have seen high milage box trucks in the $5000 range. Just a thought
    2016 Trail Limited
    Super ATV flip-up windshield
    Quadra gear convertible roof
    Quadra gear upper door panels
    30" super led light bar
    6" super led light bar rear
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    Bandit Heavy springs
    28"x10"x12" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
    Warn winch
    AC front and rear bumpers
    AC rock sliders
    72" Click and Go 2 plow system

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageStuffer View Post

really? damn.
    Full Polycarbonate Windshield + Polycarbonate Rear Panel + Rearview Mirror + Side Mirrors
    Kolpin Pro Series Roof

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    I honestly thought this was a joke thread. You cannot safely tow anything other than perhaps a bike rack with a Civic, especially not 2,500 lbs of machine and trailer. To not go to a huge truck I'd recommend a small SUV with some power or something similar.. i.e. my wife's V6 Rav4 (270HP) has a 3,500 lb capacity and towed our trailer just fine prior to us getting a Tundra. Or you could look at a small truck like a Ridgeline, Tacoma, etc.

Regarding trailer weight I once saw a guy on Facebook that had as basic of a trailer you could imagine - essentially just a single tube running from the hitch to the axle, machine rested on it with a couple plates built to support tires. It was sketchy looking but he rocked it for a long time.

And towing with the SXS rolling is not a good idea - you'll wear out everything.
    2016 Wildcat X
    SidexSideAudio System
    Dragonfire Harness Bar
    PRP Harnesses
    AC Rock Sliders
    AC Soft Top
    Bad Dawg Box
    Highlifter Radius Rods
    D & P Performance Tie Rods
    AJ's Tub Guards
    30X10X14 Carnivores
    Much much more to come..

Started emptying my wallet with a 2014 Trail.

Member #
    Liked
    415 times
    I think a Civic is to heavy to tow with a Sport, besides no place to hook the towbar............sorry
    mtgott and Craggar like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by senior View Post
    I think a Civic is to heavy to tow with a Sport, besides no place to hook the towbar............sorry
    I dont want to tow my car with my sxs .. lol
    Kolpin Pro Series Roof

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
    I honestly thought this was a joke thread. You cannot safely tow anything other than perhaps a bike rack with a Civic, especially not 2,500 lbs of machine and trailer. To not go to a huge truck I'd recommend a small SUV with some power or something similar.. i.e. my wife's V6 Rav4 (270HP) has a 3,500 lb capacity and towed our trailer just fine prior to us getting a Tundra. Or you could look at a small truck like a Ridgeline, Tacoma, etc.

Regarding trailer weight I once saw a guy on Facebook that had as basic of a trailer you could imagine - essentially just a single tube running from the hitch to the axle, machine rested on it with a couple plates built to support tires. It was sketchy looking but he rocked it for a long time.

And towing with the SXS rolling is not a good idea - you'll wear out everything.
    well that sxs is 980lbs. thought that going 500-600lbs over the limit wasn't that big of a deal.
    Kolpin Pro Series Roof

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    You need a competent tow vehicle for the weight of the Sport and trailer. Nothing with a CVT will tow what you want.

It's dangerous, not just for you, but others behind you, to not have the right tow setup along with going too fast for the (usually 65 mph) tires on the trailer.

The advise you asked for here is correct.
    June 2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat of the Month

2018 Wildcat Trail Limited.
    2014 Wildcat 1000 orange and black
    UTV CVT fan mod
    AJ's fender flares
    AJ's tub guards
    Factory front UHMW A-arm shields
    Factory UHMW rock sliders
    De Anza door inserts
    SuperATV lower high-clearance radius rods
    Road Kill aluminum roof
    Hood release mod
    AC spare carrier
    AC roof bag
    AC shoulder bag
    Tribal, Outlaw whips
    Amazon 30 in. LED lightbar, tail light
    AC trunk bag, tools, jack
    Moose mirrors
    Gopro,
    Bigfoots, Bearcat

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post

That sounds like a Sand Rail T trailer that we use to use... I know made one before I could afford a good one
    SASSY CAT says... SET THEM PUPPIES FREE!..

Member #
    Liked
    3007 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortknox77 View Post
    I dont want to tow my car with my sxs .. lol
    Just park your SxS on the cars roof, no trailer necessary
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links