Magneto Removal
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DJtwo5

Thread: Magneto Removal

Member #
    Liked
    1440 times

Magneto Removal

For those that have removed the magneto did you buy tools from arctic cat or did you figure out another way
    2015 Sport LTD
    HiPer Dakar Dual Beadlock Wheels 30" Roctanes
    PRP Seats
    Utv Inc Harnesses
    Raider Box
    Bikeman Slip-On
    Viper Max Winch
    In Progress
    Rigid 20 LED Bar
    Custom Tree Bars and Rear Bars
    Custom Skids
    Dalton Clutch Kit
    Portal Lift. Need to install
    Muzzy Gauge Pod

February 2017 Wildcat Of The Month

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    I built a puller. With all the trouble I went through trying to find the right nut, I wish I would have just bought one.

Here's one for $35
    Artic Cat Magneto Flywheel Rotor Puller 50mm x 1 5 RH Lifetime Warranty | eBay
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    1440 times
    Thanks. Was just thinking about making one but then thought to myself that's a big freakin nut lol
    2015 Sport LTD
    HiPer Dakar Dual Beadlock Wheels 30" Roctanes
    PRP Seats
    Utv Inc Harnesses
    Raider Box
    Bikeman Slip-On
    Viper Max Winch
    In Progress
    Rigid 20 LED Bar
    Custom Tree Bars and Rear Bars
    Custom Skids
    Dalton Clutch Kit
    Portal Lift. Need to install
    Muzzy Gauge Pod

February 2017 Wildcat Of The Month

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1645 times
    Found it Patrick, thanks. I think I will look for this same one on amazon since I am a prime member.
    2015 July Wildcat of the Month

Member #
    Liked
    1645 times
    Anyone wanting to sell their puller?
    2015 July Wildcat of the Month

Member #
    Liked
    1645 times
    I got my puller in the mail finally. What size is that nut? My large socket set is not deep enough so I guess I need to get a new one to get that nut off. And you just pull the nut, then go at it with the puller, right? Thanks.

Anyone?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8932 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrotel View Post
    I got my puller in the mail finally. What size is that nut? My large socket set is not deep enough so I guess I need to get a new one to get that nut off. And you just pull the nut, then go at it with the puller, right? Thanks.

Anyone?

What are you doing?
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    1645 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    I built a puller. With all the trouble I went through trying to find the right nut, I wish I would have just bought one.

Here's one for $35
    Artic Cat Magneto Flywheel Rotor Puller 50mm x 1 5 RH Lifetime Warranty | eBay
    Crawler, do you have a pic of the one you made? I bought this one and I don't think its right

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So, do you just remove the nut and then use the puller?

QUOTE=mgrotel;222551]I got my puller in the mail finally. What size is that nut? My large socket set is not deep enough so I guess I need to get a new one to get that nut off. And you just pull the nut, then go at it with the puller, right? Thanks.

Anyone?

[/QUOTE]

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Just in case the details are not clear to everyone, remove the big nut, which threads onto the center of the flywheel assembly. You thread the puller onto those threads, securing the body of the puller to the flywheel. The big bolt in the center of the puller pushes against the crankshaft extension and pops the assembly off. There might be a piece that fits onto the crankshaft extension so that the puller bolt does not bear directly against the crank extension. One of those left-handed bolts used to turn the crank when doing a valve adjustment would also protect that shaft.

I had an unusual failure, where the stator broke loose from the stator cover and messed up the deeper threads on the flywheel. The dealer near me couldn't use the AC tool without possibly damaging the threads in the tool. I bought three long bolts to use in place of 3 of the socket head bolts you can see in the pic above, then used a standard 3 arm puller to get the flywheel off. I very nearly gave up on the process until I got the three long bolts adjusted just right so that the puller didn't side-load the flywheel. I put the whole lash-up in tension, then put the same amount of torque on each of the three long bolts.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    267 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    For those that have removed the magneto did you buy tools from arctic cat or did you figure out another way
    Usually involves calling in the X-Men!
    2016 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail XT, RED.
    AC Underhood Box; SAC Kitty Parking Brake. Firewall Recall Done.
    Currently clean, after being dirty, after being really dirty, after being kinda clean, after being very dirty, after being clean...
    Wear a helmet!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the clarification. I just really don't want to cause anymore unnecessary damage. Also, I found a Krator brand puller on Amazon for $32, if anyone needs one in the future. I'm revoming the flywheel for easier access in order to weld the broken boss used to hold the starter gear pin, rather than replacing the entire crank case.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    Just in case the details are not clear to everyone, remove the big nut, which threads onto the center of the flywheel assembly. You thread the puller onto those threads, securing the body of the puller to the flywheel. The big bolt in the center of the puller pushes against the crankshaft extension and pops the assembly off. There might be a piece that fits onto the crankshaft extension so that the puller bolt does not bear directly against the crank extension. One of those left-handed bolts used to turn the crank when doing a valve adjustment would also protect that shaft.

I had an unusual failure, where the stator broke loose from the stator cover and messed up the deeper threads on the flywheel. The dealer near me couldn't use the AC tool without possibly damaging the threads in the tool. I bought three long bolts to use in place of 3 of the socket head bolts you can see in the pic above, then used a standard 3 arm puller to get the flywheel off. I very nearly gave up on the process until I got the three long bolts adjusted just right so that the puller didn't side-load the flywheel. I put the whole lash-up in tension, then put the same amount of torque on each of the three long bolts.
    Last edited by DJtwo5; 07-09-2019 at 06:24 PM.
    mbrandt1402 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    Good find! (The Krator flywheel puller).
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Sponsored Links