• 1 Post By Wired
  • 3 Post By Wired
  • 1 Post By Wired

Thread: Made some 1/2" UHMW skid plates

Member #
    Liked
    391 times

Made some 1/2" UHMW skid plates

I've finally completed on of my winter projects of making some 1/2" UHMW skid plates for our trails.

I got the idea from a friend I met at a parade last year. He gave me his old skids to use as a template and some pointers. I made these bigger in most spots to provide more protection. The front skid is wider to protect a potion of the frame that was exposed and I made it 9/16" wider than the frame (kind of like rock sliders) to provide some protection.

Overall I'm really happy with how they turned out. One thing I wish I would have done differently was extend it out the back to support the rear frame in front of the rear wheel, but other than that I'm happy.

I haven't bottomed out and hit anything with them yet, but my friend says it is much less shocking with these 1/2" skids instead of the stock skid

I've had to weld and re-thread 3 holes alone after the bolt heads on the stock skid got caught on a rock or something and ripped out. Now the bolts are recessed up into the skid so that shouldn't happen any more.

Total investment was about $350/ machine.

You'll need a jig saw, circular saw, router, spade bits, and a drill.

Here's the front before:

And after:

Heres the finished product:

Here's where I wish I would have extended it a bit:

Last edited by Wired; 04-15-2018 at 07:40 PM.
    mtgott, theToucan, lugnut and 1 others like this.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    nice job ,looks like factory.
    mtgott likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    237 times
    Looks like you did a kick ass job, nice work
    2014 Wildcat Trail 700 converted to Sport
    2019 July WOTM winner

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I want to do this to my 2015 Wildcat X. I'm looking for the countersunk washers. mine has just screws in it now. Did yours come with that countersunk washer and Bolt. do you know what they're called.

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Those are the stock skid plate bolts provided with the trail. Maybe they'll fit your X? I don't know.
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    What did you use for fasteners for that thick plastic. I'm trying to find some that are longer threads but yet still flat.

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregoncat View Post
    What did you use for fasteners for that thick plastic. I'm trying to find some that are longer threads but yet still flat.
    The stock hardware for the OEM skid plate is what's holding up my skid plate. I used a router to reduce the thickness to about 1/4" for the bolt heads and it's working fine. I might make the recess a little deeper later on, but it works for now. This also put the heads inside of the skid plate instead of leaving them exposed to catch on stuff.
    Last edited by Wired; 05-11-2019 at 08:43 PM.
    theToucan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Wired, how big a piece of material did you need and did you save the patterns or measurements? Also rolling a Trail here, this could be a good project

Member #
    Liked
    3022 times
    WTH dude? You didn't build a CNC router to make those with

Looking good, what's your fall schedule look like for an Alpine Loop / BB Pass run? That is if all the snow melts this year..

Oregoncat,

Do a google search for "skid plate cup washers" to recess the bolts with..
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theToucan View Post
    Wired, how big a piece of material did you need and did you save the patterns or measurements? Also rolling a Trail here, this could be a good project
    I used one full 4x8 sheet and another 4x4 sheet, but I also had 2 sets to make as I have 2 trails. I don't have the measurements as I just used my stock skids as templates. You could make a 4x4 and 4x6 square on the ground with tape and see if you can get the stock skids arranged in there to see how much you need. If you want to extend out the sides like I did, be sure to account for this as well. See where your current skid sits and then see how much wider you want it to be. I think I'm like 9/16" wider on each side.

Here's some stuff I've learned with the new skids:

1. As mentioned in the OP, I would make a tail on the the back to protect the rear of the frame where the stock skid does not protect in front of the rear tires.
    2. I'm not sure I would use the stock hardware to secure it. I had a bolt (which I think was just about to strip when I started this project) that did strip on me. I tried another member's idea of rivet nuts and HOLY CRAP! That was amazing! It was a super simple fix. No welding, grinding, and painting. Just drill the hole a little bigger and insert. That's what I'll be using from now on. The benefit of going this route is you can still recess the bolts, but you won't have to thin the skid plate as much to get the stock hardware to bite. I haven't had any problems with the recessed holes (I took it down to about 1/4" thick for the recess), but I was contemplating going more to get more bite. I will definitely NOT be removing anymore and will be going the rivet nut approach with longer hardware for future fixes.
    3. I ended up adding some drain slots to the rear of one of my skids. I think I took 3/16" or maybe even 1/4" off at the back to allow water to drain. Water does not ingress as quickly as I don't have any holes straight through the bottom, but what does get in stays in. I ended up adding these slots on my machine and I have been very happy. I might add another 1 to each side for a total of 3. It makes cleaning it out easier. I haven't done my wife's machine yet and washing that last time was a PITA. I also need to do something similar for the front and rear smaller skids. I'll try to post some pics of these slots later.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    WTH dude? You didn't build a CNC router to make those with

Looking good, what's your fall schedule look like for an Alpine Loop / BB Pass run? That is if all the snow melts this year..

Oregoncat,

Do a google search for "skid plate cup washers" to recess the bolts with..
    That sounds amazing. Still haven't gotten down there yet and I do have some vacation to use. Just checked and here's the latest status on the passes:

High Mountain 4 x 4 Passes

Black Bear Pass - Closed
    Imogene Pass - Closed
    Ophir Pass - Open
    Last Dollar Pass- Open

Might only have a couple weeks
    Black Cat, theToucan and lugnut like this.

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Here's some pics of the drain slots. Must be 1/8 or 3/16 deep

View from inside looking down:

View from back straight on:

View from wheel well:

Last edited by Wired; 07-12-2019 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Added details
    theToucan likes this.

Sponsored Links