Wildcat Forum banner

New(to me)2016 4x

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  mbrandt1402 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum and tomorrow morning I'll be new at having my 16 4x. I've been searching around the forums here, trying to make a list of known issues and I was hoping that you fine people could toss your personal 2 cents worth in. It's a stock Cat and my Wife says that it will stay that way(coughs). A little help....save me from the inevitable repairs? Thank you

#2 ·
Congrats and Welcome INXS! Tie rods are a week point they tend to bend easily, steering slider and gearboxes are an issue (see aj's sxs accessories) for that or give him a call. You have the new engine case so you should be good with the prior issues related to that, break rotors are undersized and sqeak.....lazer Larry's or alba make a kit. Rear tire falls off when either axle stub shaft breaks or axle nut spins off. They make a kit now to fix that....awesome off-road sells those. Drive shaft coupler can break ......keep an extra....80 bucks and 45min trail side fix.

Reactions: Bamacat 12
#3 ·
Welcome inxs, congrats. I recommend that you get harnesses for you and the wife.

#7 ·
Well, IMO it isn't adequate enough, and might not hold you in the car in the event of a rollover. Most rollovers happen doing less than 5 mph. I always recommend harnesses. I've been doing this for awhile, and unfortunately I've seen people, hurt, maimed, and killed. Not what you probably wanted to hear on your third post, but it is what it is.

#6 ·
Ohh and get 12 mm wheel studs awesome off-road also sells that kit. You will love your 4x I just bought one too. Post up some pics.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Saw a 27 year old father of two die this fall after being ejected from a rzr in a roll over rzr crushed him.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#10 ·
#12 ·
#14 ·
We went for a 50 mile ride yesterday and yes, the brakes are atrocious. I find it hard to believe that Arctic Cat would let a known issue like this not only go out the door, but also continue to produce machines with these squawkers. I have plans to replace the rotors with Laser Larrys and install EBC pads but it's a darn shame that I'm spending my money to fix AC's design issues.

#17 ·
My belt lesson came from trying to creep onto a truck mounted rack. I cupped the belt, which was virtually new, pretty badly. Fortunately, I had plenty of time to get another belt and install it before our big Wildcat trip. I've set the rack aside until I reinforce it enough to winch the Wildcat on.

#18 ·
I have a 16 4X that I bought used with 600 miles on it, my horror story is after I put 300 miles on the machine after purchasing it the oil filter fell off 100 miles out in the Nevada desert while I was clipping along at 70mph! Needless to say it fried my motor and I had a very long tow back to my truck. I check for leaks before every ride and noticed no leaks or seepage prior to my ride. The guy I bought it from had just done an oil change right before I bought it, but like I said the filter didn’t fall off until 300 miles later. I have read several cases of this on the forums with other wildcats although the Cat dealer claimed they had never heard of this issue. All said and done it was $5k for a factory crate motor and install. Hopefully was a fluke, but I know put a bead of torque seal on my filter and check quite often to make sure it has not loosened.

#19 ·
Wow, talk about bad luck. I thought I was the only one that stuff like that happened to.
I had a 2013.5X two seat and I have a 2015X 4. Put a lot of miles on both, never had an oil filter come off. The person that put it on did not tighten it when they installed it. Talk to the service department at your local dealer and see what they suggest on the installation of the filter.

#20 · (Edited)
I also had the filter loosen up and start leaking. Fortunately, I was on a road and checking my mirrors constantly, so I saw the smoke within seconds. We limped it back to the RV and didn't suffer any damage, other than to my ego (I did the oil change). It took a few hundred miles for mine to loosen. We rode in Moab, Monument Valley, Manti and Marysvale before it happened.

I thought I had a finely calibrated touch with an oil filter. I now crank the Wildcat filters down HARD, and when I run out of my current stock I will only buy K&N filters - they have a welded "nut" and I believe it has a hole for safety wire. Similarly, when I'm working on the Wildcat any fastener that doesn't thread into a lock-nut gets blue Loctite. It is amazing what will work loose on these, but I suppose anything with a 270, 90 combustion cycle is going to vibrate like hell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.