• 1 Post By mbrandt1402
  • 1 Post By mbrandt1402
  • 1 Post By Black Cat

Thread: Front wheel movement

Member #
    Liked
    19 times

Front wheel movement

I have a 2015X 4, When I jacked it up and put it on stands I checked the play in both front tires. Moving the top of the tire back and forth, from inside to out side they move about a 1/4". Is that normal play or are the bearings wearing?
    2015 X 4

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    Not normal. It could be wheel bearings, but it could also be ball joints or control arm bushings. Or a combination!

With that amount of movement, it should be easy to figure out what is worn out. When I am trying to diagnose smaller amounts of play, I will put a finger across the two parts that should be firmly joined, then wiggle them. You can feel play that isn't easily seen.

I have a '15 X Ltd. The first parts to wear out after I bought it (I have no knowledge of previous repairs, so take my experience with a big grain of salt) were the control arm bushings. The ball joints had a little play in them, so I replaced them in the spirit of preventative maintenance. My wheel bearings are still tight.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    I checked the ball joints, you are correct. That is where the play is. Is there a you tube showing how to replace them?
    2015 X 4

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    I didn't look for a how-to write up or a video. There might be one out there.

The only trick to replacing the ball joints is that OEM or the equivalent will fit a little loose in the control arms and, per the service manual, must be installed with green (retaining) Loctite. I had Permatex primer on hand (Permatex now owns Loctite), so I did primer and green. (The FSM is available to download from the Country Cat website.)

You will probably have to drive the old ball joints out of the control arms because of the Loctite bond. I don't recall any details from when I did this, so it must have been pretty straightforward.

PS - Before you buy your ball joints, find the recent thread by RSX. He took the time to compare a few different ball joints.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 07-07-2019 at 09:33 AM.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    Snap ring pliers. Pop them out. Then....Green lock tite and done. Not that bad to do.
    SxS's are like women.....your spend four hours working on them just for a 15 minute ride!

January 2018 Wildcat of the Month
    2018 4X Limited
    Dragon Fire Harness Bar Front and rear
    BRP harnesses
    SSV stereo
    Full glass flip windshield
    Parking Brake
    AJ's flares
    AJ slider
    AJ's tub guards
    sedona beadlocks with kanati 30's
    5K winch UTV INC mount
    MLS East Coast 32" light bar
    DIY Rear Storage rack
    Venom Rock lights
    WIFI back up camera
    Parking brake kit
    Rock slider/step rails
    Car horn....Beep Beep!

Wants....lots of stuff that I can't afford!

Member #
    Liked
    2994 times
    ^^ What they said most can be done without removing the a arm if they are tight you can use a ball joint press on them, Lube your wheel bearing while it's down..
    mtgott likes this.
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Thanks for every bodies help. I have been busy finding out all the issues and watching YouTube. (1) get OEM ball joints. (2) while it is down replace the bushings.
    Again, thanks for the info.
    2015 X 4

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dilledille View Post
    I checked the ball joints, you are correct. That is where the play is. Is there a you tube showing how to replace them?
    \
    I rebuilt my 2016 front end at 9K miles. Only right sided needed ball joints. Both sides needed sleeves and bushing for the A arms. The left rear needed help in the A arms bushings and sleeves. Interestingly the right side was tight!

Denny

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    Quote Originally Posted by k9aeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dilledille View Post
    \
    I rebuilt my 2016 front end at 9K miles. Only right sided needed ball joints. Both sides needed sleeves and bushing for the A arms. The left rear needed help in the A arms bushings and sleeves. Interestingly the right side was tight!

Denny
    Thats amazing at 9k what kind of terrain are you riding in?
    SxS's are like women.....your spend four hours working on them just for a 15 minute ride!

January 2018 Wildcat of the Month
    2018 4X Limited
    Dragon Fire Harness Bar Front and rear
    BRP harnesses
    SSV stereo
    Full glass flip windshield
    Parking Brake
    AJ's flares
    AJ slider
    AJ's tub guards
    sedona beadlocks with kanati 30's
    5K winch UTV INC mount
    MLS East Coast 32" light bar
    DIY Rear Storage rack
    Venom Rock lights
    WIFI back up camera
    Parking brake kit
    Rock slider/step rails
    Car horn....Beep Beep!

Wants....lots of stuff that I can't afford!

Member #
    Liked
    470 times
    Also, where is the left rear A-arm on an X?? (Or 4X)

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
    Thats amazing at 9k what kind of terrain are you riding in?
    Mostly Arizona hills/mountains with a good dose of rocks. Machine takes a beating out there compared to our Wisconsin summer running. Each winter in Arizona (6 months) I average 2k miles.

Sponsored Links