MCX Turbo install on '15 X Ltd - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: MCX Turbo install on '15 X Ltd

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Good advice! I have a Koso Wideband AFR/Boost/Temp combo gauge coming, with the intention to put the temp sensor in the thermostat housing next to the OEM sender. The Koso has alarms on each reading. I don't know if the AFR alarm is going to be useful unless the Koso can somehow differentiate between closed-throttle-lean and dangerously lean while making power. Boost alarms are "meh", but I'm gonna like having an alarm on the coolant temp.
    Sand-n-Sea likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    I did a lot of fighting with high temps under sustained load. Used the $200 mod with the over-sized alum tanks and 2 cross spacer. that helped but I wanted better and sandwiched 2 stock radiators together. That worked.
    Options i considered was an oversized oil cooler and/or putting a 2nd small aux radiator/fan up front.
    izom and Jbl like this.
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    160hp 992cc Big Bore Evo Turbo
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Sand-n-Sea, if I had your welding equipment and skills, I'd be building a copy of your "double-stuff" radiator. That was inspired and impressive.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    I had an "Oh, shit" moment today while installing the low compression motor. I thought I had threaded new spark plugs into the heads previously. When I went to tighten down the first one, I hit a little resistance and put a little more torque to the ratchet, thinking I needed to compress the sealing ring. The plug sheared, right at the top of the threads. Fortunately, I have a good selection of easy-outs and an impact driver. The impact driver is really handy anytime you need to turn and push at the same time. So a few minutes later, I had this:
    Name:  IMG_1089.JPG
Views: 86
Size:  126.8 KB
    Whew! That would have been a lengthy detour.
    mtgott and Sand-n-Sea like this.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    We put about 80 miles on the Wildcat today. My expectations going into this engine build were that it would be noticeably down on power to a regular compression ratio X motor. Instead, it feels just as healthy as the "new top-end" engine that just came out.

I did a little research and the internet experts think 1 point of compression ratio is worth about 4%. JE says the pistons are 9.5:1. My impression is that the stock ratio is 10.5:1, or perhaps as high as 11:1. I've not found an "official" specification. So I lost around 4 or 5% to a lower compression ratio and gained 4.4% in displacement. So no surprise that the "built" motor feels a lot like the stocker that came out.

You might think this pleases me, but my honest reaction is "Hmmmmm - this thing might break too many parts once the turbo goes in".

More to follow. Tomorrow I will clean up the Wildcat and start stripping it down for the turbo installation. I'll also be installing a combo wideband, boost and temp gauge (Koso) that will require lengthening all of the various wiring runs, so I have a bit of work to do. I'm guessing the turbo Wildcat will draw it's first breath by Friday.
    mtgott, roylohr and Sand-n-Sea like this.

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    632 times
    You know Im following this project sir and cant wait to get a report with a properly broken in turbo! Now that the SandShow is about over that signals the riding season here in the West. Get her done lmk when your coming down and we will go hit the dunes. Hey SandnSea your welcome to come join the dinosaur turbo Wildcats. I promise you a better trip and will not leave you back. (big misunderstanding on my groups part)
    Sand-n-Sea and izom like this.

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbl View Post
    You know Im following this project sir and cant wait to get a report with a properly broken in turbo! Now that the SandShow is about over that signals the riding season here in the West. Get her done lmk when your coming down and we will go hit the dunes. Hey SandnSea your welcome to come join the dinosaur turbo Wildcats. I promise you a better trip and will not leave you back. (big misunderstanding on my groups part)
    I'll be out there as usual; mostly Ocotillo Wells. And every trip is an adventure. The most memorable ones are when unexpected happens. So in a way, unexpected makes a trip better. I had a great time with you at Glamis as always Joey
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    160hp 992cc Big Bore Evo Turbo
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    The project went on hold for a few days while I searched for a lost part. I know I had the oil drain for the turbo when I was mocking up the system a month ago, but where it went I have no idea. So after losing a day searching all through the shop, I made a new drain and gasket.

All of the mechanical stuff except the new air filter and the intercooler and tubing is now installed.
    Name:  IMG_1105.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  5.04 MBName:  IMG_1106.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  4.47 MBName:  IMG_1107.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  4.69 MBName:  IMG_1109.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  4.46 MB

I'll start the wiring tomorrow. The turbo system wiring isn't that extensive, but I have to lengthen 12 wires for the Koso boost/AFR/water temp gauge. I hate what I call "mash-crimped" connectors and butt-splices, so there will be a fair bit of soldering & shrink-tubing going on.
    mtgott and izom like this.

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    wow looks hightech ! ; ()- i dont remember this line in the middle of the throttlebody on oem !? whats that? - and u use a different airintake??
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    The fuel controller has a manifold air pressure (MAP) sensor in it. It uses MAP to determine how much fuel needs to be added via the added pair of injectors on the shiny intake plenum. That line connects the MAP to the intake system downstream of the throttle valve. I had to drill and tap the throttle body to add the hose barb for the MAP sensor. I also added a barb to the intake manifold for my Koso boost gauge.

Air intake: the kit comes with a small Uni filter that, to me, looks completely inadequate. I bought a Donaldson swirl canister type filter that will mount ahead of the left rear wheel. (Got a great price on the filter, but it didn't come with a mount, so maybe not so great after all.)
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 09-23-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    izom likes this.

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    632 times
    Looking good so far sir! Anticipation is mounting for the first test rip and the stupid grin your going to have.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Wiring is done. What a PITA!!! And the instructions completely ignored the throttle position sensor input. Thank heavens the OEM wiring diagram labels the functions of the wires, so I was able to identify TPS status from power and sensor ground. Similar problems with the MAP "converter" - the wire colors are called out incorrectly and in one case the sensor power is flagged to be hooked up to the converter and sensor ground. I wonder if anyone has fried an ECU because they followed the written instructions and not the color picture?

I need to adapt the plumbing for the Donaldson filter and build a mount for it. Then I can reinstall the radiator and all of the plastic and try it out.

Member #
    Liked
    491 times
    Project is looking great! My head would explode!
    izom likes this.
    2016 Wildcat X Limited
    PRP XC seats with PRP bases and PRP 4.2 harnesses
    MPI high grip steering wheel
    Dragonfire harness bar
    STI HD beadlock wheels
    Tensor Regulator 28x10Rx14 tires
    12mm wheel stud upgrade
    Textron rear axle, hub & spindle upgrade
    De Anza Works axle nut retainers
    EZ*Ryde exhaust
    AC flip up windshield & AC rear panel
    Street legal kit
    Pursuit side view mirrors
    Bad Dawg rear storage box
    AC spare tire & my spare axle carrier
    Factory UTV full skid, rock sliders and A Arm guards
    Ricochet trailing arm guards
    Aj's fender flares and tub guards
    Aj's trailing arm joints & front A-arm kit
    EVP tie rods
    Treadliner floor mats
    Blak Roket parking brake
    Rotopax fuel pack
    R2C performance air filter
    Cat Hitch front and rear hitches
    UTV Inc. under hood winch mount
    Viper Elite 5000 lb. winch
    High Lifter arched lower radius bars
    ​March 2017 & April 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    mine already does- but seems mr mbrandt knows wht hes doin....!! ;-))
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Quote Originally Posted by izom View Post
    mine already does- but seems mr mbrandt knows wht hes doin....!! ;-))
    Also, I'm retired, so I have the time to mess with stuff like this.

I just wish I had the body to go with it. After leaning over the engine from various angles in order to do all of the wiring modifications, I went to bed early with a very sore back.
    izom and Sand-n-Sea like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links