MCX Turbo install on '15 X Ltd - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: MCX Turbo install on '15 X Ltd

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    ...what can i say- changed a sprocket seal on my KTM on saturday...need to take sunday off- knees and hands hurtin....man im 54 !?? :- ()
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    Wiring is done. What a PITA!!! And the instructions completely ignored the throttle position sensor input. Thank heavens the OEM wiring diagram labels the functions of the wires, so I was able to identify TPS status from power and sensor ground. Similar problems with the MAP "converter" - the wire colors are called out incorrectly and in one case the sensor power is flagged to be hooked up to the converter and sensor ground. I wonder if anyone has fried an ECU because they followed the written instructions and not the color picture?

I need to adapt the plumbing for the Donaldson filter and build a mount for it. Then I can reinstall the radiator and all of the plastic and try it out.
    What are you considering to manage the extra heat? I drilled holes in my plastic for better air flow. While its apart maybe look into a larger radiator or do the fan mod so one fan is always blowing? Let me know if you want some pics and I'll crawl into trailer and take some pics for you.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    I have a second radiator on the way. I'll post about my idea, which was inspired by Sand-n-Sea, once I see if it has a chance of working.

In the meantime, I'm rather pleased with how the air filter mount turned out:
    Name:  IMG_1111.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  3.78 MB
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 09-28-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    Sand-n-Sea, Jbl and izom like this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    The used second radiator arrived yesterday without one of the drain plugs, which are out of stock at countrycat. I won't be able to finish the installation, but I was able to start working with the double stack of radiators, and it looks like it will work. I'm not quite sure how I'll fit a filler neck and cap, and bleeding air out of the system will certainly become more time consuming, but it looks like a guy with common tools can add a second radiator to a boosted 'cat.

I didn't take any in-process pics, but I'll document what I've done tomorrow when I get back to the project.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    661 times
    wow youre gonna be overCOOL !? ;-)
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    We are having some good weather this weekend after a week or two way below normal, so I shelved the radiator project in hopes of going for a ride today. I finished the turbo installation yesterday and started the turbo kitty. Runs poorly and my Koso wideband says really, really lean. This is just idling and at part throttle, where the MCX stuff should not be active. MCX provides an electronic "clamp" on the stock MAP sensor, so I'll revisit that and examine my narrowband to make sure it was not damaged.

That was disappointing, but I did stab the throttle once, trusting that the Swain ceramic coatings would protect the pistons. The engine was on the rev limiter immediately. Like in a fraction of a second. So much for the suggestion from one supplier that I drive it, see how it responds and then do the clutches!

So I'm in troubleshooting mode today instead of out on a trail.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    I'm happy to say I made good progress today. The problem was the location of the stock narrowband oxygen sensor and the use of an adapter bushing to fit the small thread sensor into a normal size bung.

I first moved the narrowband into the bung right at the turbo and saw improvement. I had noticed that the bushing partially masked the second row of ports in the sensor probe, so I chucked the bushing into the lathe and shortened the hex. Between the two changes, the 'cat now runs more like it did prior to the turbo.

I also relaxed the wastegate actuator rod. With hardly any pre-load holding the wastegate closed, I'm seeing about 6.5 psi with the boost control solenoid switched out. I'd rather that be more like 4, so I'm checking to see if there is a plug-n-play larger diaphragm.

I can't put a sustained load (even at 6.5 psi) on the engine without clutch parts. It just bounces off the rev limiter. This thing is going to be quick​ when I get it sorted.
    izom likes this.

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    632 times
    Way to go sir! but only 6.5 lbs boost will not be enough IMO as the setup is for 12. So careful you start playing with the clutch at 6.5 then turn up boost and have to reclutch. I know you know what your doing so have at and thanks for the updates.

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    For cooling I wired the high temp fan to a switch so it would run all the time when I was really getting after it and I let the low temp fan cycle normally. That helped quite a bit but it still wasn't quite enough for a long wide open desert run. Then I added a 5" Spal fan to the oil cooler and that really helped a lot. I was running 14psi

Name:  IMG_20191006_234059185.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  2.54 MB
    Jbl likes this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    632 times
    Hey CRAWLR were you always running 14lbs boost? Im only pushing 10-11lbs since I installed it but scared to push the motor to 14. did you ever get the Push kit yet?

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbl View Post
    Hey CRAWLR were you always running 14lbs boost? Im only pushing 10-11lbs since I installed it but scared to push the motor to 14. did you ever get the Push kit yet?
    I pretty much set it at 13psi after the first test runs. At the time MCX said it was designed for 13psi and could handle 14psi on pump gas so after a while I bumped it to 14 and left it.

I ran it for over a year with the wet clutch and had no problems and then I added the STM clutch. The STM was way too aggressive and pretty much abused the whole car. But it was fun!
    izom likes this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    Something I noticed during my brief test runs: the small Donaldson swirl air cleaner (G065433) with the standard Donaldson filter element is marginal. I reset my filter minder before each test, and afterwards the indicator was very close to the "clean or change your filter" markings. Going into the build my research suggested that the larger version might be a better choice if I was trying to squeeze every HP out of this setup (I'm not), so I went with the version other folks are using.

I plan to try one of the R2C filter elements and see how it performs.
    izom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    I should add that the Donaldson is fine until the turbo spools up and the engine starts gulping air.

Crawlr, your oil cooler fan is a great idea, and it is good to know that it delivers real results.

I wonder if there are fans that can reverse direction without reducing reliability. I know any DC fan will spin backwards if the polarity is changed, but the bearings would need to be designed to handle the load with the fan pushing instead of pulling. With proper ducting and a reversing switch, I might have cooler oil all of the time and warmer feet when I need it.

Member #
    Liked
    541 times
    I talked to three different shops about clutching. One suggested that I run the 'cat with the turbo, then describe what it does and they could go from there. Another shop said they "thought" they had a good starting point based on some of their other power-adders.

I did a test run with the boost turned down and the clutching is so far off all it does is immediately hit the rev limiter. So much for the suggestion that I try it first. I wasn't too keen on the "we think this might work" shop, so I contacted Black Diamond Extreme and they were very helpful. They listened to my hopes of having a clutch setup that would work well at full power and acceptably well at the lower boost level that I expect to run most of the time, then generated a clutch build sheet for both boost levels.

The box arrived with new springs for each clutch, a new helix with a 2 degree change in compound angles, and what I believe is a Magna Force kit for the primary. I have since searched the forum and only found one thread with info about these: http://D: 9405511899561966449414, post #8.

I love the concept - the clutch arms come in 3 or 4 curves, then you can stack up to four magnets in each of the four holes to change the shift force at various RPM. No bolts or clamps, just the very powerful magnets. I had to pry them apart with a knife blade in order to install them in the arms. The magnet holes are open to the trailing side, which makes sense to me - I don't think you could ever accelerate the clutch fast enough to dislodge the magnets, but you might be able to stop it quickly enough. Anyway, cool technology, and it looks like it might even be possible to change weights with the clutch (minus the cover and spring) on the engine.

I'm looking forward to finishing this and getting out on a trail.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; Today at 02:16 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links