Broke Another Crankshaft!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MLS Powersports

Thread: Broke Another Crankshaft!

Member #
    Liked
    762 times

Broke Another Crankshaft!

I broke the crankshaft in my MCX turbo car with the STM clutch a while back. I bought another used 2012 engine, swapped the pistons and the clutch, and threw it in. It ran great for a while but the splined end of the crankshaft just broke off again! That is now 3 broken cranks with the STM clutch, one was on my friends stock motor.

The worst part is that It was under full load at full boost when it let go and the motor zinged like an F1 car for about a second before the compression went away and it coasted to a stop. This one is going to need more than a crankshaft!!

The 2012 engines suck! I put a new crank in my good engine case (the newer replacement case that I got under warranty because my original case cracked) and put that in my friends car. Now I have his old motor with the broken crank and the motor that just broke and I'm trying to decide what to do.

I could throw a crank in the spare motor and hope for the best. (not much confidence in this)

I could try putting a 2014 crankshaft in the spare motor and getting the STM primary for it. (has anyone put a new style crank in the old case? Is it the same? Does STM make a primary to replace the Team clutch?)

I could build it back to completely stock, sell the 2012 Cat, buy a 2014 Cat, and put the turbo on it. (unfortunately I got rid of a lot of the stock parts so I would need to pull them off the new car before I sold the old one)

I could sell the turbo setup and the STM primary and secondary and do the EVO DIY Z1 swap (but there is almost no information about it and that worries me)

I could stop eating and send a lifetime of lunch money with my car to Pace Offroad (I'm already hungry from just thinking about that)

hmmmmm
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    How much boost you running? Sounds like you may have to do the z1swap....
    Last edited by got_titan; 11-24-2014 at 10:17 PM.
    2013 white & orange limited.....sold to friend

2013.5 black wildcat....

40 inch led light bar
    Ac roof w/ kenwood radio including siruisxm
    Ac flip up windshield
    Rear windshield
    Ac a arm and trailing arm guards
    Ac full doors
    Ac trunk bag
    30" Blackwaters
    Fox kashima shocks
    Homemade spare tire carrier with hi lift Jack
    Alba front and rear rotors w/ ebc hh pads
    Sharper turning mod
    Seizmik mirrors
    Alba front bumper

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by got_titan View Post
    How much boost you running? Sounds like you may have to do the z1swap....
    About 13psi. And I finally had the clutch dialed in really well. The thing ran awesome!

The big problem is the STM clutch on the 2012 crank. I don't think the early cranks were strong enough at the splines for the load that the clutch puts on it. I'm sure the turbo doesn't help, but when my friend's crank broke with a stock motor I knew it was going to happen again.

All 3 were early first production run motors. The same crankshafts as the one that stripped the splines with the Airdam clutch.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1477 times
    Sell the STM and pay for 2014 crank and team clutch! I have a crank end for 2012 U can have it, pay shipping!

Member #
    Liked
    1365 times
    The wet clutch cranks just aren't designed for that kind of load. They will not take it long term, turbo or not. Yes the newer crank will fit in your new style cases and yes it will take it. I would touch base with STM on if/how you can make your primary work on the tapered crank. Worst case sell it and run a Team clutch. They work great, are tough and plenty adjustable.
    BMan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1418 times
    if you had to - There are a few team primary's floating around the for sale section - Drako1 I think had one for sale very reasonably. I do like mls said , swap the cranks go to the newer setup and let er eat!

Member #
    Liked
    1440 times
    Stm does have clutch for the team setup. Tennessee is running it in his limo cat

I think I remember someone doing crank saw a while back

Sponsored Links