Picked up my cat! Question about temperature? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Picked up my cat! Question about temperature?

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    I just put in a new heater core and blower under the glove box. I went through the procedure above and have not seen any error codes. I also ran it for a while on a steep incline pointing down to get the heater core lower than the engine to try and force out any other bubbles.
    My question is. What is a good temp sensor for the 1000? I have no idea what my temps are. In the summer it ran fine even when it was very hot out. Now in the winter since I added the core it seems to run real cool. Fan hardly kicks on. Not blowing very warm air out of heater except when running 5000+ rpm. I think I need to insulate the lines running through the tunnel to the core. I am sure I am loosing allot of heat there.

Donny
    2014 Wildcat 1000
    Aluminum Bumpers
    Axia Alloy Mirror
    ITP BeadLocks w/27" Bighorn 2.0s / Camso t4s Tracks
    5000lb winch
    RockSliders
    Hard Top Roof / Full Soft doors
    Full Windshield / Custom Back Polycarb Window
    Heated Seats
    AJ's Flares
    Otterbox mount 10" Samsung Note
    Solid Tie-Rods / High Lifter Rear Radius Arms
    Wildcat 4 front brakes & knuckles

https://plus.google.com/u/0/collection/UCY0kB
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HodarStrange/videos
    https://500px.com/waitingforittoend

Member #
    Liked
    2454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnyM View Post
    I just put in a new heater core and blower under the glove box. I went through the procedure above and have not seen any error codes. I also ran it for a while on a steep incline pointing down to get the heater core lower than the engine to try and force out any other bubbles.
    My question is. What is a good temp sensor for the 1000? I have no idea what my temps are. In the summer it ran fine even when it was very hot out. Now in the winter since I added the core it seems to run real cool. Fan hardly kicks on. Not blowing very warm air out of heater except when running 5000+ rpm. I think I need to insulate the lines running through the tunnel to the core. I am sure I am loosing allot of heat there.

Donny
    Hold down the two buttons (15 seconds) and the first reading that pops up is the coolant temp being sensed at the thermostat... seems pretty accurate to me... the cooling system on the cat is pretty good so the extra capacity you've built in may be over cooling.
    DonnyM likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    I've had my temp climb above 210 with semi-aggressive driving. Had to slow it down to get back below 200. Just did the "burp" procedure per Chaparral and there was definitely some air coming out of the rear head before the coolant came out. Hope that's it!
    Thanks Chaparral for the easy instructions!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8991 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand-n-Sea View Post
    I've had my temp climb above 210 with semi-aggressive driving. Had to slow it down to get back below 200. Just did the "burp" procedure per Chaparral and there was definitely some air coming out of the rear head before the coolant came out. Hope that's it!
    Thanks Chaparral for the easy instructions!
    Yeah, 210 is getting up there. You definitely have an air pocket somewhere in there.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
    I've had to put new seals in the water pump about 200 miles after an "over heat" on 2 different occasions.

Each of these was after the shop had the motor apart and put in new coolant. I believe what happens is they did not burp the pump so the air bubble steams the seal so I burped the pump but after that it takes about 200 miles (maybe less) to start weaping fluid from the weap hole.

Hopefully you didn't run hot long enough to trash the little seal. IF, you get a dribble of coolant from the pump you can buy this $26 seal kit instead of the entire $160 pump ... The dealers mostly don't know about this!!!!

Attachment 40214
    In self defense you need to learn all you can because many dealers don't know the little details and want to change out major parts.
    Rock Hopper, I think you just found my problem. If and this is a big IF my pump does not weep coolant would this indicate that the seal has not been ruined and it is probably the thermostat? If the seal is weeping, does this let so much coolant out that it causes the overheating and eventual puking? Or does the poor seal just let the coolant by pass and not get to the radiator? Thanks
    2014X 1000 Wild Cat . 28" STU Stagger Cut 80/20 R/ Skat Track Buffed Front with 7 Glider Paddles. Candy Blue and White UMF Bead Lock Wheels 10" Wide rear 8" wide front. UTV Lighted Switches, Quick Lite Whips, LED side,nose,backup lights, UTV Harness Bar, 5 Point Belts, Horn. Sunbrella Tops, Blue and Black,Locking Black Trunk Box. Heat Shields over Muffler, Exhaust wrap. Modified air intakes. Amber Dust Led Light. Removed clutch cover. Karcraft susp limiting straps. Gusseted A Arms.

Member #
    Liked
    3375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
    Rock Hopper, I think you just found my problem. If and this is a big IF my pump does not weep coolant would this indicate that the seal has not been ruined and it is probably the thermostat? If the seal is weeping, does this let so much coolant out that it causes the overheating and eventual puking? Or does the poor seal just let the coolant by pass and not get to the radiator? Thanks
    You should do that entire burp procedure and see if that fixes your problem. The fact that your radiator easily took 16 ounces out in the dunes tells me you still probably have air in the system. It may not be your thermostat at all.
    Hollywood likes this.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8991 times
    Quote Originally Posted by missiondude View Post
    You should do that entire burp procedure and see if that fixes your problem. The fact that your radiator easily took 16 ounces out in the dunes tells me you still probably have air in the system. It may not be your thermostat at all.
    Whoa, missed that! 16 ounces? No wonder why it was running hot!

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    3375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    It still ran hot after that, although he did get in 2 runs without issue after that water was added in the field. I thought adding the water fixed the problem, but the overheating and pukeing coolant came back.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Mission dude got the 16 ounces mixed up with his beer consumption. Last thing I remember him saying is " is 9:30 AM too early to have a beer? I did top off a couple of times in the dunes and did get some good runs in after that but each time it puked out some more and had to repeat procedure to complete the run back to camp.

Ordered thermostat and going to Stethoscope the water pump, check for weeping, and bleed the 4 plugs instead of just the little plug today. Can you just forget installing the thermostat if living out here in Ca and really only going to the dunes IYO??
    2014X 1000 Wild Cat . 28" STU Stagger Cut 80/20 R/ Skat Track Buffed Front with 7 Glider Paddles. Candy Blue and White UMF Bead Lock Wheels 10" Wide rear 8" wide front. UTV Lighted Switches, Quick Lite Whips, LED side,nose,backup lights, UTV Harness Bar, 5 Point Belts, Horn. Sunbrella Tops, Blue and Black,Locking Black Trunk Box. Heat Shields over Muffler, Exhaust wrap. Modified air intakes. Amber Dust Led Light. Removed clutch cover. Karcraft susp limiting straps. Gusseted A Arms.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8991 times
    Mission dude got the 16 ounces mixed up with his beer consumption. Last thing I remember him saying is " is 9:30 AM too early to have a beer? I did top off a couple of times in the dunes and did get some good runs in after that but each time it puked out some more and had to repeat procedure to complete the run back to camp.

Ordered thermostat and going to Stethoscope the water pump, check for weeping, and bleed the 4 plugs instead of just the little plug today. Can you just forget installing the thermostat if living out here in Ca and really only going to the dunes IYO??
    Scooby asks those same types of questions, LOL!

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    Scooby asks those same types of questions, LOL!
    What about my question of Just leaving the Thermostat out?? Who needs it in Ca in the Dunes? Did the fill again and checked for flow and to see if there were any bubbles in the flow, none that I could see so I capped it and ran it until it got hot and shut it off to check for a "weeping water pump. No WEEP. Did not receive new Thermostat yet. The Stethoscope on the pump was normal quiet IMO but still suspect it has a worn impeller and does not achieve full flow. Rockhopper said he put the seal kit in. Was that to stop the weep only or was that to eliminate some bypassing of the pump?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8991 times
    What about my question of Just leaving the Thermostat out?? Who needs it in Ca in the Dunes? Did the fill again and checked for flow and to see if there were any bubbles in the flow, none that I could see so I capped it and ran it until it got hot and shut it off to check for a "weeping water pump. No WEEP. Did not receive new Thermostat yet. The Stethoscope on the pump was normal quiet IMO but still suspect it has a worn impeller and does not achieve full flow. Rockhopper said he put the seal kit in. Was that to stop the weep only or was that to eliminate some bypassing of the pump?
    Still think you have an air pocket in there somewhere. Did you burp the system when it was hot?

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Mine runs so cool, I don't think my secondary fan has ever come on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links