Reemember this oil leak? It got worse!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Reemember this oil leak? It got worse!

Member #
    Liked
    803 times

Reemember this oil leak? It got worse!

I posted this vid a while back to show the small crack that developed in my Stator side cover.

I figured it was just a small casting flaw and it's just a cover so some JB Weld should take care of it, right?..... WRONG!!!

It turns out the stator is mounted to the cover and apparently was a little too much weight for the cover!

Name:  2013_03_10_19_48_02_128.sized.jpg
Views: 2184
Size:  70.5 KB
    Stator removed and cover reinstalled.

Name:  2013_03_12_22_10_35_892.sized.jpg
Views: 1921
Size:  65.9 KB
    You can see the JB Weld I tried.

Name:  2013_03_12_22_11_21_602.sized.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  62.6 KB
    This is what the stator is mounted to.

Unfortunately that was only the beginning! No one seems to know why, but the case is also cracked right above the cover under the water pump. The motor still runs and sounds perfect. The heads and pistons are still awesome and everything spins totally free. The crack in the case makes no sense. I took it to the dealer to see if AC would do anything even though I have one of the first models that only had a 6 month warranty. As far as I'm concerned, this is totally a manufacturing issue and they should help me out....especially since the warranty is longer now and I shouldn't have to suffer just because I bought one of the first ones. The dealer agreed and tried to get me a new motor. After some negotiating, the best AC would do is give me a new case and stator cover, and I could pay to have the work done or do it myself. I decided to do it myself. This should be interesting.

Name:  2013_03_12_22_08_42_139.sized.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  2013_03_12_22_09_47_241.sized.jpg
Views: 2275
Size:  63.8 KB

Member #
    Liked
    273 times
    They should totally give you a new motor, that crack is rediculous!

Member #
    Liked
    280 times
    That frickin sucks CRAWLR; I agree totally with jesse, they should have given you a new motor!!!!

Good luck with the rebuild, looks like you'll need a couple more of those cans on the left of the last pic!!!

C-Ya!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Just JB weld it all back together and smear black silicone over the leaks. It's what Arctic Cat calls properly fixed
    Eatin RzR's, Shittin Commander's and humiliating Maverick's

Box
    Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    As a long time auto technician, I've gotta say I admire you for doing the job yourself. I would much prefer to do a job like that on my own. I don't know what kind of technicians are out there at Arctic Cat dealerships, but I can only imagine that truly good ones are few and far between.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    I had the exact same problem with my Cat about 2 weeks ago. My block did not crack but my stator cover looks identical. The dealer laughed at the design when they took it apart. It's a joke how they designed a heavy stator to bolt to the thin walled stator cover. There will be alot of people having this problem. If you see oil leaking around the black cap on the stator cover, its getting ready to pop. Arctic Cat sent the $750 in parts but made me pay the labor because I am out of warranty by 2 months. Hope nobody breaks down in the middle of nowhere. What a junk drivetrain they put in these things!

Glamis SandWhore
    2012 Wildcat 1000

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    That's kooky. Obviously another flawed design. Makes you wonder.

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Box View Post
    As a long time auto technician, I've gotta say I admire you for doing the job yourself. I would much prefer to do a job like that on my own. I don't know what kind of technicians are out there at Arctic Cat dealerships, but I can only imagine that truly good ones are few and far between.
    I had the same thought. The idea of someone learning how to build one of these motors by scattering mine all over the shop scared the hell out of me!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Hey so is the new cover they sent you any different?? Also what approximate mileage when you noticed the issue? Thanks. Ill be watching that for sure!

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Hey so is the new cover they sent you any different?? Also what approximate mileage when you noticed the issue? Thanks. Ill be watching that for sure!

I'm still waiting for the parts. I'll post pics when I get them. I think I was at about 800 miles. The first 100 were nice and easy in the desert, the rest were pretty much wide open all the time in the sand. Oil was changed 2 or 3 times.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Ya. Curious if there is a diff. Part # or if its the same one. Keep us posted. Thanks!!

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bshack View Post
    I had the exact same problem with my Cat about 2 weeks ago. My block did not crack but my stator cover looks identical. The dealer laughed at the design when they took it apart. It's a joke how they designed a heavy stator to bolt to the thin walled stator cover. There will be alot of people having this problem. If you see oil leaking around the black cap on the stator cover, its getting ready to pop. Arctic Cat sent the $750 in parts but made me pay the labor because I am out of warranty by 2 months. Hope nobody breaks down in the middle of nowhere. What a junk drivetrain they put in these things!
    That sucks that I'm not the only one. I hope this doesn't become common. It's a really heavy stator hanging on some very thin aluminum. Was your replacement cover the same?

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    I finally got the new case and side cove, but now I'm waiting on some unrelated internal parts.

The case is a little different but the side cover is exactly the same. I'll get some pics of the differences in the updated case later.

Name:  2013_03_25_15_55_36_794.sized.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  2013_03_25_15_56_18_510.sized.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  72.7 KB
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    I finally got the new case and side cove, but now I'm waiting on some unrelated internal parts.

The case is a little different but the side cover is exactly the same. I'll get some pics of the differences in the updated case later.
    You think it'll break again?

Member #
    Liked
    2454 times
    I've been pondering why the crack formed in the first place...can only visualize a couple ways:
    1. a large chunk of debris jumped up and slammed the cover...causing some internal misalignment.
    2. bad crank bearings allowing the rotor and stator to smack one another.
    3. a slightlly bent crank from the factory causing rotor and stator interferrance.

What do you guys think?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links