Diagnostic menu????? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Diagnostic menu?????

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rio View Post
    Thanks sand-n-sea, that last pic help alot! I manually checked the throttle per your instructions, in relaxed mode the TPS read zero as it should, manually flipped the cable holder thingy and right to 100% as it should. As soon as I adjust the cable even a little the at idle part of the TPS rises with the WOT . ( 0 up to 9 and 55 up to 67) this seems to be pointing that the slack isn't at that end as soon as I tighten just a bit both go up and the throttle starts to open.
    Is that little rubber boot at the foot throttle supossed to compress when the foot throttle is pressed ? I put a pair of vise grips on it to stop it from compressing and that seemed to be the only way I could get the WOT to go to 100 and back down to zero
    Cool; so your tps is ok.
    Your problem must be with the cable, cable linkage, or foot pedal. I would start with the pedal and check that is swings back all the way when not depressed. It could be that the cable is too tight and pulling the pedal down. Unhook the cable and see if the pedal comes back up further.
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    160hp 992cc Big Bore Evo Turbo
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand-n-Sea View Post
    Cool; so your tps is ok.
    Your problem must be with the cable, cable linkage, or foot pedal. I would start with the pedal and check that is swings back all the way when not depressed. It could be that the cable is too tight and pulling the pedal down. Unhook the cable and see if the pedal comes back up further.
    Hey what the heck you doin, thought you out riding today? lol

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Leaving in a few hrs
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Well, everything checks out, idle at 0 and WOT won't go over 60 with the foot pedal to the floor, almost ready to give up as I checked everything. Should have been a few minute fix but not my luck?

Member #
    Liked
    448 times
    Eliminate the possibility of the cable too tight. Try taking the cable off the throttle lever when you check tps 0. Is the TB butterfly valve closed (You would need to look into the TB to see that)?
    When you put the cable back on is the lever in the exact same closed position with the butterfly closed?

Another possibility is that black rubber boot by the pedal. Not sure if it is supposed to collapse.

I'm puzzled what's wrong.
    2012 Wildcat 1000
    Fox RC2 Shocks
    30" Kanati Mongrels
    March 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    OK, although I am feeling defeated after working on this thing for the past six hours and not being able to fix the issue properly, I did manage to modify it so the throttle opens up on the TPS 80% as opposed to the 55% I had earlier and my little mod made for instant throttle response when pushing the foot pedal. I cut a piece of a pen about an inch long, cut a spiral slit down the side, slid it on the end of the cable by the throttle and slid it under that boot thingy. Pretty sure that boot thingy is supposed to compress when the foot pedal is pressed but oh well, it doesn't now, had to do something, lol
    Oh ya, after doing this I noticed the butterfly is still not quite all the way open, still have to figure out the proper fix.
    Going to have a beer or two now since the buggy is back together and do some more pondering. Defeated today but tomorrow is another day.
    Thanks very much very everyone's help thus far, muchly appreciated
    Last edited by Rio; 10-27-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    Hope you get this figured out Rio, very frustrating for sure. You have had some difficulty with your ride this year..... Nothing major but frustrating things for sure between your actuator and this little bugger this year. I am having a similar issues with my can am atv. About ready to put a match to it. Hate can am Atv's never again!
    SxS's are like women.....your spend four hours working on them just for a 15 minute ride!

January 2018 Wildcat of the Month
    2018 4X Limited
    Dragon Fire Harness Bar Front and rear
    BRP harnesses
    SSV stereo
    Full glass flip windshield
    Parking Brake
    AJ's flares
    AJ slider
    AJ's tub guards
    sedona beadlocks with kanati 30's
    5K winch UTV INC mount
    MLS East Coast 32" light bar
    DIY Rear Storage rack
    Venom Rock lights
    WIFI back up camera
    Parking brake kit
    Rock slider/step rails
    Car horn....Beep Beep!

Wants....lots of stuff that I can't afford!

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Well Phatcat, I am like most, we don't mind working on our rigs, don't even mind countless ours trying to work out an issue as long as the outcome is they way you want it.
    Before I put the sxs back together I tested my foot pedal mod to see how the cable reacted, I used a long stick to push on the gas pedal while I looked at the other end of the throttle cable in the control box. As soon as I pushed on the pedal the end of the cable started to move opening the throttle body instantaneously. When I pushed the pedal to the floor the the cable still had to move about a 1/4" before it would be wide open. Before the mod it was shy about 5/8" . Almost zero slack in the cable but it still won't open up, only 80% . Can tighten the cable so it reaches 100 but it will idle at 3, ooo rpm, ?. Bin racking my brain on this one but nothing makes sense.

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Has the gas pedal assembly suffered any damage? With what you just described, the only things that make sense are the throttle pedal no longer moves as far as it should, the cable is stretching or the cable housing isn't secured at the pedal assembly.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    523 times
    Rio, I agree with mbrandt something has changed either bent or stretched some how. Not sure how much a new cable is but may be worth replacing at this point. Also when u were working on the clutch did u do anything to affect your rpm at idol?
    SxS's are like women.....your spend four hours working on them just for a 15 minute ride!

January 2018 Wildcat of the Month
    2018 4X Limited
    Dragon Fire Harness Bar Front and rear
    BRP harnesses
    SSV stereo
    Full glass flip windshield
    Parking Brake
    AJ's flares
    AJ slider
    AJ's tub guards
    sedona beadlocks with kanati 30's
    5K winch UTV INC mount
    MLS East Coast 32" light bar
    DIY Rear Storage rack
    Venom Rock lights
    WIFI back up camera
    Parking brake kit
    Rock slider/step rails
    Car horn....Beep Beep!

Wants....lots of stuff that I can't afford!

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    when he put the pen part under the boot it keeps the throttle open causeing it to idle higher

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamacat 12 View Post
    when he put the pen part under the boot it keeps the throttle open causeing it to idle higher
    Putting the pen spacer between the foot pedal and the ball end of the cable has nothing to do with the idle and does not affect the idle at all. That was just to give me more throttle. It is idling around 1,250 - 1,400 where it should be.

Member #
    Liked
    74 times
    Mbrandt1402 and Phatcat, I can rule out the stretched cable because as soon as I push on the pedal the butterfly starts to open and the TPS numbers move from zero up instantly.
    Something bent might be a possibility and will be the next step as there just isn't enough throttle. My pedal measures 4 5/8" from floor to the top of the pedal. If anyone happens to be around their big Cat can you please measure the distance of your pedal for me please and thank you ?
    Oh and Phatcat, the idle was only going up because the cable was too tight trying to get the WOT numbers to go up. Had to loosen the cable to get it back down to zero and the idle was fine, the only problem is the WOT numbers went back down to 55, lol. This is why I put the pen spacer under the boot at the foot pedal which brought those numbers from 55 to 80. Still short throttle though
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    I had not visualized where you put the pen spacer prior to post #42. The spacer is decreasing the amount of movement or travel you can get out of the throttle cable if everything else is as it should be. If you thought things worked better when you installed it, something else is messed up and the spacer masked that problem.

Back in post #7, Phatcat posted a picture of one of the adjustment points. You replied that you adjusted it to the max and only got 70% TPS. I'm wondering if you adjusted it the wrong way. Back in post #16 you said the pedal moves a long way before it contacts the ball end of the inner cable, and that would be the case if you adjusted it the wrong direction. The inner cable portion of the throttle cable is a fixed length, so to take up slack and make it react more immediately, you need to lengthen the cable housing. Less of the threaded adjustment end should stick through the adjustment point and the lock nuts.

Here is a sketch to illustrate how the adjustment works. The cable housing and adjustment threaded sleeve(s) are in black, the inner cable is blue.
    Name:  cable adjustment.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  23.6 KB
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 10-29-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    I think I was able to mimic the way you measured: mine is about 4 7/8" off the floor when fully "out" and about 1/2" off the floor at WOT.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links