Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    762 times

Rear Pinion bearing has a little play

Name:  IMG_20140528_172421025.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  231.2 KB

I started to notice a little noise in the rear diff, then the oil got so hot that it melted the breather and dumped a bunch of the oil out. Man did it smell bad!

I was able to drive it back to camp and after it cooled off I swapped the breather with one off the front, added a little oil, and headed back out. By the end of the weekend it sounded horrible haha

Luckily 91CumminsGuy was selling a rear diff. Hopefully it will be here in time to head to the desert this weekend
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    633 times
    That is nasty looking!
    2018 Wildcat XX
    Speedwerx clutch
    Steering bushing
    Textron Roof
    Tusk skids
    DragonFire System 3 Off Road SB-3 Beadlock wheels
    STI X Comp 32" Tires
    Razorback belt guage
    Rugged Radio UHF/VHF radio & intercom
    Viper 4500lb Winch w/Remote Control
    775 Fabrication Front/Rear bumpers, tow point, winch mount, tie downs, cage grab handles

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Got the new diff today. Should have it back together in a couple hours then it's off to the desert!
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Now....Speed XX #32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    how many hours & miles has the diff done ? much high speed stuff ? what oil did you use ? I have seen a number of RZR XP gearboxes go with sustained high speed / heavy load, keen to hear any feedback

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    Name:  IMG_20140528_172421025.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  231.2 KB

I started to notice a little noise in the rear diff, then the oil got so hot that it melted the breather and dumped a bunch of the oil out. Man did it smell bad!

I was able to drive it back to camp and after it cooled off I swapped the breather with one off the front, added a little oil, and headed back out. By the end of the weekend it sounded horrible haha

Luckily 91CumminsGuy was selling a rear diff. Hopefully it will be here in time to head to the desert this weekend
    Did you mic it to see if it was out of spec?

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
    how many hours & miles has the diff done ? much high speed stuff ? what oil did you use ? I have seen a number of RZR XP gearboxes go with sustained high speed / heavy load, keen to hear any feedback
    The car has about 2000 miles on it. Around 1000 with the turbo.

I had not serviced the rear end until recently. The oil that came out was a little metallic but not horrible. It had Mobil 1 75/140 in it when it cooked, but honestly it was probably already on it's way out.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    It also had a Spike Load Dampener Delete in it.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Another rear diff is toast!

I pulled this one all the way apart and it actually split the outer race of the CHINESE pinion bearing. That is probably what the last one did too but I didn't take it apart before I threw it away.

Luckily, I didn't have the spike load dampener delete in this one and it knocked the snap ring off the spike load dampener before it totally cooked the gears like the other one. I may be able to put new bearings in it and keep it for a spare.

Has anyone put better bearings in a rear diff yet?

Name:  IMG_20141026_142907960.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20141026_144323965.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  339.7 KB
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Also the needle bearing is completely gone except for a sliver of the race that is left. That needle bearing is tiny. After doing some reading, it is definitely the first to go out. Then the pinion is moving all over the place and tearing apart the other bearing.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    How many miles did you get out of that second diff?
    2013 WILDCAT X
    28"(REALLY 27.5")DWT MOAPA 12 PLY RUN FLATS ON STI BEADLOCKS
    HD TIE RODS(AUTOTUDE USA)
    BIG GUN EVO U SERIES DUAL EXHAUST
    HD RADIUS RODS(UTV INC)
    PASSENGER GRAB HANDLE(UTV INC)
    RIGID DUALLY D2s MOUNTED IN FENDER WELL.
    PRO ARMOR DOORS

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    Maybe 300 really hard miles
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    I think it had 1000 on it when I got it. 1300 miles seems to be a reasonable lifespan from what I've read.

The new one I just got from Resurection has 440 on it so maybe I'll get another year out of it lol

I should just call Pace and get a spare now
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I'm kicking myself in the ass for how much I paid for mine, and all it is right now is a skeletonized yard ornament, cause I've got to put a drive train in it that is actually reliable.
    2013 WILDCAT X
    28"(REALLY 27.5")DWT MOAPA 12 PLY RUN FLATS ON STI BEADLOCKS
    HD TIE RODS(AUTOTUDE USA)
    BIG GUN EVO U SERIES DUAL EXHAUST
    HD RADIUS RODS(UTV INC)
    PASSENGER GRAB HANDLE(UTV INC)
    RIGID DUALLY D2s MOUNTED IN FENDER WELL.
    PRO ARMOR DOORS

Member #
    Liked
    762 times
    I hear ya. With the amount of money I've dumped into this piece of shit, a PACE build is starting to make a lot of sense.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    2453 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    I hear ya. With the amount of money I've dumped into this piece of shit, a PACE build is starting to make a lot of sense.
    I just a couple days ago swapped out the rear diff on mine cuz of the grand howl hurting my ears... turns out the diff was not the problem it's the engine gears AGAIN! Probably the bevel gears and the tiny gear the turns the bevels. (with the leaking seals I thought sure the diff was the culprit)

Going to the dealer tomorrow to again take advantage of the Corner Stone warrantee. This will be the 3rd set of engine gears in 3000 miles.

Yes I disconnected the front drive shaft (hoping it would be the carrier bearing) and drove round the block... the howl was still there exactly the same ... dammitt.

I'm pretty sure this drive train would hold up with 40 horse power and 20" diameter tires on an 800 lb vehicle ...

Name:  20141022_165910.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  1.58 MB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links