New speed trigger and sensor and still no speedo! Help please!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New speed trigger and sensor and still no speedo! Help please!

Member #

New speed trigger and sensor and still no speedo! Help please!

Good evening. I just bought a 2012 wildcat 1000. The only issue I found when I bought it was it was throwing the code P0500. I researched this forum and found I needed a speed sensor. I took the the housing apart and found the trigger assembly had exploded like you all said would probably be found. We replaced the trigger and speed sensor tonight. My speedometer jumps straight to 12 mph when we start the engine and the digital doesn't work when I begin to drive. Can someone please give me some guidance on what to do next? Thanks ahead of time!

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8911 times
    Welcome southwestwildcat. You're very new, and don't know my history with my '13 Wildcat, and the speedometer. I spent 5 years, luckily all under warranty trying to get my speedo problem fixed, and it never was! 4 speed sensors, and 1 speedometer, and it still wouldn't work correctly. I kept telling the dealer it had to be in the wiring harness, but they refused to change it out, too big of a job. My speedo would work correctly, then if I hit a bump, the next thing I knew it said 100mph when I was going 30mph. Hit another bump, it would come back. Sometimes it didn't work at all, other times it was stuck on 100 for days. Some members said that my brakes should be affected because the sensors tied together, but I never noticed that. Brakes always worked well. I gave up looking at the speedo! I wish you luck though. Let us know how it works out.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Thank you for the feedback! I am new to the side by side world as I have always rode atvs. I bought the wildcat so my daughter could go with my son and I. There was never a consistent code, but P0500 would pop up every once in a while. I honestly don't care about the speedo, I just want to make sure I have power steering and that system doesn't mess up due to the lack of the speedometer and I would also like for the odometer to work. At idle, the speedo bounces around 12mph and when I accelerate, it jumps to 30-40 mpg immediately and the odometer still doesn't move. Anyone with some ideas please let me know. I have disconnected the battery since the install.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8911 times
    Quote Originally Posted by southwestvawildcat View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! I am new to the side by side world as I have always rode atvs. I bought the wildcat so my daughter could go with my son and I. There was never a consistent code, but P0500 would pop up every once in a while. I honestly don't care about the speedo, I just want to make sure I have power steering and that system doesn't mess up due to the lack of the speedometer and I would also like for the odometer to work. At idle, the speedo bounces around 12mph and when I accelerate, it jumps to 30-40 mpg immediately and the odometer still doesn't move. Anyone with some ideas please let me know. I have disconnected the battery since the install.
    Wow, my odometer always worked, so could be a totally different problem. Since you are new to SXSs, I make it my job to recommend harnesses and a harness bar to all members. Please keep that in mind, as SXSs can and do roll over quite easily.

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Does anyone else have a recommendation?

Member #
    Liked
    2964 times
    Check the plug going into back of the cluster and to the ecu. Spray some contact cleaner on them plug / unplug several times, then seat with di-electric silicone to keep dry.
    Last edited by Black Cat; 04-11-2019 at 04:51 PM.
    mtgott likes this.
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Thank you for the advise. Can I pull the cluster through the dash or do I have to take the hood off? Is the ECU under the passenger seat with the fuse box?

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8911 times
    Thank you for the advise. Can I pull the cluster through the dash or do I have to take the hood off? Is the ECU under the passenger seat with the fuse box?
    Pull the hood. It isn't exactly the easiest thing to do either, LOL. You'll understand after you have cursed trying to get your arm up there to get to the bolts. Yes to the ECU. Silver electrical connector bolted to the floor with a cable running into it.

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    2964 times
    ^^What he said plus disconnect the battery first.

After that is completed and it's still a no go read this one:

https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...25-u055-3.html
    Last edited by Black Cat; 04-11-2019 at 06:26 PM.

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

Member #
    I have no codes. What do I need to be looking for in that post sir?

Member #
    Just as you suspected Black Cat, no change. All terminals were clean, but I went ahead and sprayed them and then added dielectric grease. What steps do you all recommend from here? Thanks in advance.

Member #
    I also found that all the empty slots in the back of the connection to the cluster had plastic pieces stuck in them. I am guessing the previous owner was trying to keep mud out of it? Just trying to give you all the info on what I found.

Member #
    And also let me add, and make sure I have this straight, when the gauge is on MPH, the hand sits and bounces around 12MPH, but as soon as I change it to RPM, the hand drops to zero and never moves while in motion. Thanks again for the advise and let me know your thoughts moving forward.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Find someone nearby and swap gauges with them?
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    2964 times
    I have no codes. What do I need to be looking for in that post sir?
    The bad connection on post 32 (it is somewhat of a common problem due to the heat shrink tubing not being long enough)

Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    Find someone nearby and swap gauges with them?
    I would try this prior to dissecting a wiring harness, the local cat house my have something they could loan you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links