Locking front differential
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mbrandt1402

Thread: Locking front differential

Member #

Locking front differential

Hi I have a problem I’m hoping somebody could help me with. I have a 2016 wildcat X. I’ve come here a few times before and peoples advice have been invaluable. There’s a definite sound when I engage four-wheel-drive. However when I set the front end to lock there’s no sound. Should there be a second sound accompanying when I lock the front differential? It seems that my machine will not go into full lock. I’ve already re-wired the switches into two separate switches. But the results are the same.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8871 times
    Explain re-wiring what switches? You should hear the sound of the actuator when you push the 4x switch, and then you should be in 4x4.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    The question is about locking, not 4WD.

I hear nearly identical "whirring" sounds when I go into 4WD and when I lock the axle. Silence is not good.

I messed with the wiring a few months ago, looking to do separate switches. The circuit logic of the two modes wasn't as simple as I thought it to be and I shelved that project. That said, it sounds like Lock quit working first with the OEM switch and still doesn't work now that you've rewired it. If that is the case, I would go to the basics and confirm that the wiring harness all the way to the lock actuator is solid.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    442 times
    GeneralTarget, did you find a solution?

I was able to pull the switch out of the dash panel far enough to get to the wiring harness for the switch. There might be another splice or jumper tucked further back under the dash, but I'm about 95% certain that I am able to lock (while in 4WD) the front axle by jumpering the two white with colored stripe wires. IIRC, they are white w/ green and white w/ yellow, or maybe orange. There are only two white with colored stripe wires at the switch, so it would be hard to get it wrong.

I now have a steering column stalk control for Lock in addition to the OEM dash switch. There have been times that I wanted the front axle locked very briefly just to get around an obstacle or corner. I never mastered the locking tab, so engaging Lock seemed like it always took 5 or 10 seconds of fumbling. No more - flip the right hand stalk control down for Lock, flip it back up to unlock without ever letting go of the steering wheel.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; Yesterday at 10:51 PM.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Sponsored Links