• 2 Post By CRAWLR
  • 2 Post By CRAWLR
  • 1 Post By CRAWLR

Thread: Dash Cam/Backup Cam

Member #
    Liked
    758 times

Dash Cam/Backup Cam

When I mounted my spare tire I realized I couldn't really see over my shoulder any more so I decided to get a camera. I got a dash cam mirror from Ebay for $79 to try and it is pretty cool.

The mirror is designed to strap onto a rear view mirror in a car so I made a plate that it can attach to

Name:  IMG_20190521_163351138.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  628.0 KB

Here it is with the power off to show what the view would be with a rear view mirror

Name:  IMG_20190521_163021927.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  635.8 KB

And with the power on it becomes a display for the front camera, the rear camera, or both on a split screen

Name:  IMG_20190521_163001099.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  778.0 KB

Since it is a mirror that is also a screen, the glare is pretty bad sometimes on sunny days but the screen is bright enough that you can see what you need to see. At night you can dim it and the night vision is really good.

The cool part is it has a 32gb micro SD card and records front and rear the whole time it is on. It just keeps over writing the footage in 3 min clips unless you hit the save button, then it will save the current clip and keep over writing the rest.

I didn't really understand the save feature during the Baja prerun trip so all the footage I got was the last half hour of the trip.

Last weekend we went to Pismo so I saved a couple clips to see how it looked. I'll post them as soon as they finish uploading
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Here's one clip I saved where we were just screwing around in the back dunes.
    There seems to be some residual video tacked on to the end from Baja that wasn't quite over written. Kinda weird but overall I'm pretty impressed for the price.

This is the front view

And this is the rear view of the same clip. Notice it is a mirror image.

DeanTeck and mrhammond like this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    This is a clip of a night ride at Pismo

Front view

Rear View of the same clip. The night vision is pretty good.

mrhammond and Steve D like this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Got a name/model for this? I'm looking for something like this for my new work truck right now!

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Here's the next clip after the daytime clips above. This is a run through Boy Scout Camp and back to the beach. Boy Scout Camp is the biggest whoops out there and with the turn in the middle it really unsettles a SXS. This Speed XX is by far the best car I've driven through there. The vid doesn't really do the whoops justice.

The rear view has some of the residual Baja video tacked on to the end

Steve D likes this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Cool, and a nice addition for many reasons.

I'll echo Steve D's request for model that you bought off ebay. Interested myself

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by theToucan View Post
    Cool, and a nice addition for many reasons.

I'll echo Steve D's request for model that you bought off ebay. Interested myself
    Search Ebay for 'Dash Cam Mirror' and there are several that have the full screen. I got the Junsun for the Wildcat and it works well but it is a little quirky so I wanted to try a different one for my work truck. I got 2 of the AZDOME for me and my wife and they are terrible. I am returning both of them and ordering some different ones to try.

The Junsun works well enough if you want one right away but I will have a review on a few others next week. After trying it in the XX I want one in all the cars so I am going to find the best one.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    620 times
    Nice vids and cool stuff. Judging from the vids about 5 mins long you were done riding 50% of Pismo already lol. They better not close that place down and if they do no Im forced to make a trip out there. Fingers crossed for the vote this Thurs that it remains open.

Member #
    Liked
    758 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbl View Post
    Nice vids and cool stuff. Judging from the vids about 5 mins long you were done riding 50% of Pismo already lol. They better not close that place down and if they do no Im forced to make a trip out there. Fingers crossed for the vote this Thurs that it remains open.
    Tomorrow is going to be a shitshow in San Luis Obispo. A ton of people are going to show up at the Coastal Commission meeting and try to convince them to change their mind. They'll probably just piss them off and make them speed up the process. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not too optimistic about the future of Pismo anymore
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

Now....Speed XX #32

Sponsored Links