Trail camping

Thread: Trail camping

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Trail camping

Wanting to know if there are long scenic trails that allow camping off of them no camp grounds just be able to ride see a spot and camp prefer western Scenery something I can spend a week or two on pass through a town to fuel up once in a while hope this isn’t wishful thinking and allows 60 inch machines

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    What you're looking for is referred to as primitive or dispersed camping. These areas are managed by each division of the forest service as some allow dispersed camping and other don't. As for being able to ride in to town and get gas, that will be up to the city/ county/ state.

You don't mention where you're at, but what you describe can be done in/ around the Paiute trail system near Richfield, UT, the Gooseberry trail system (which links to the Paiute) near Salina, UT, and the Arapeen Trails (which link to the Gooseberry) near Manti, UT, which hooks into the Great Western Trail. I believe most of this area can accommodate a wider machine, but double check. Most of the towns around these trail systems are very hospitable to ATVs and you can ride in/out.

I have not done it yet, but plan to start camping from the machine and completing sections of these trails as you describe.

ETA: The Great Western Trail runs from Mexico to Canada. My father-in-law was telling me about a book or blog by some guy who completed this trail on his ATV in about 6 mos.
    Last edited by Wired; 07-23-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Ty I’m in Virginia and love the systems around here ! Just trying to plan a bucket list trip ty for your suggestions I’ll research them want to do it next year sometime! What are the better months to ride those systems

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dew View Post
    Ty I’m in Virginia and love the systems around here ! Just trying to plan a bucket list trip ty for your suggestions I’ll research them want to do it next year sometime! What are the better months to ride those systems
    That's a difficult question to answer. It all depends on how much snow the mountains get the winter before. It's possible there's still snow blocking the trails at higher elevation, but the lower desert elevations will be hot by the time all the snow melts. Typically July and Aug will be clear. Possibly June depending on the winter.

We've got trails here around 10k feet elevation that are still blocked by feet of snow (at least they were 1 week ago). We also have passes above 12k feet that are still not open and it's the end of Aug. Some of these passes start closing in Sept and Oct.
    Last edited by Wired; 07-23-2019 at 09:29 PM.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Wow highest around here in Virginia is 5700 ft I’m about 45 minutes from Hatfield McCoy trails and our local spearhead trails maybe I’ll change my mind on how I want to plan it , that part of the country is Definitely on my bucket list thank you for your input and advice

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    858 times
    Sounds like a great goal, good luck with your plans
    August 2018 Wildcat Of The Month

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Check out the Rimrocker Trail.https://rimrockertrail.org
    It meets all of the requirements you listed and connects with enough other trails to keep you busy for years. Just make sure your rig meets the requirements to be street legal in Utah

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks! Sure will

Sponsored Links