• 1 Post By Wi Wildcat
  • 4 Post By CRAWLR

Thread: Hard post to type

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Smile Hard post to type

Hello forum!

This is going to be one of the toughest posts for me to type due to my current unfortunate circumstance.

I was out riding on Aug 25 (Sunday) on my local trails that I've ridden nearly every weekend all summer long. Wearing my helmet like always. Came around a right hand turn that had a puddle on the driver side. Turns out the puddle had gotten way, way deeper since I had last ridden there a week ago. Was going about 15mph with my left arm resting on the top of the door (dumb). The machine suddenly flipped on its side and caught my arm underneath. *Crunch* *pop*. Yep, thats a broken bone. Had my buddy I was riding with winch me back onto all 4 and nursed it the 5 miles back home. Went to the ER and got laughed at by the nurses who thought I hadn't broken anything because there was no swelling or bones sticking out or anything crazy like that. They weren't busy at all so I got an xray quite quickly. Turns out I had a galeazzi fracture which requires surgery to fix. They splinted me up (the wrapping hurt really bad) and sent me home.

Name:  arrmxray.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  656.8 KB

The next day (Monday) I went and met with an orthopedic surgeon. He removed the splint, saw that my arm still hadn't swollen at all, and scheduled me for surgery on Wednesday. Went in early on Wednesday, the surgery itself took 25 minutes. Luckily my wrist and elbow weren't messed up at all. I am now the official proud owner of a 4" long titanium plate and a bunch of screws holding my left radius together! My son is calling it my WarArm (think Warmachine from Ironman). The pain was barely noticeable, honestly the worst part of the whole experience was the initial wrapping of the splint, the twisting was awful. 7 days after surgery all of my fingers work properly and the arm seems solid.They gave me a TON of prescription pain killers that I now have to take to the police to have disposed - I didn't take any of them. I dunno why they'd give 45 pills to someone in my situation. No wonder there's a drug problem with opiates.

I was told to take 3 weeks off of work but after 8 days at home my wife had driven me to the brink of insanity, so I started back this past Tuesday doing light work like inspections, paperwork, programming the CNCs, and cleaning.

Major kudos to my local hospital Meadville Medical Center. People bash on em pretty hard around here but they really took good care of me throughout the entire process.

I am definitely getting wrist tethers (which require harnesses too) for my Wildcat by the time I can drive it again. While this has been an incredible experience (first broken bone, first surgery, first stitches) I do not think I want to go through it again.

Hopefully you all can have a chuckle at my stupidity and that this reminds you to keep your hands and feet inside the ride at all times.

Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron380 likes this.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    Oh man, that stinks. I hope your recovery goes well.

I wouldn't classify you as stupid though, just bad luck.

What are these wrist tethers and how do they work? Sound more dangerous than helpful on the surface.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    They are essentially straps that attach from arms to the 5 pt harness to prevent arms from flying out of the machine. I think they actually advertise you attach them to biceps just above elbows then you adjust them so you can reach all the controls and stuff but your arms are physically prevented from going outside the roll cage. They are required for some racing series and can be used instead of nets (apparently, I'm no expert.)

If someone made a net that fit the trail I'd consider those instead but I can't find any.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    502 times
    In road racing we call those "arm restraints" and they are required for all open cockpit cars. I have seen versions that attach on the forearm, but they REALLY limit your ability to operate dash switches, the radio, retrieve a drink from the console, etc. The restraints had no down-side in a race car. You almost forget that they are there, other than showing that you have them on before they let you go out on track.

As far as added danger, the strap runs from your arm to your harness. As soon as you unlatch your harness, the only added exposure would be if the loop or attachment device catches on something as you try to get out. I think some arm restraints might attach directly to the latch or buckle. Mine had loops in the ends that were captured by the shoulder harness tab. The loops were almost like slits - it would be pretty unusual to have them catch on something.

Stroudsafety.com will make a custom window net to your dimensions. I'm sure there are other vendors.

IMHO, window nets do pose "some" added danger. The fastening system for the net is an additional barrier to getting out of the car quickly if there is a fire. I can tell you from experience that when you see flames coming out of your car, you might not think rationally. I personally would not want to have to mess with a window net.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.
    ndlsjk likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    463 times
    The restraint goes just below your elbow on your forearm. The other end gets buckled in your harness latch. All my driving suits had them built in. With the SXS you can keep the left one short to keep your arm in side and let the right one be a little longer for reach. And opposite for the passenger. You could order one set and each use on on the outside arm but you won't be able to resist the urge of raising you free arm to the roof to brace in a roll over.
    ndlsjk likes this.
    2014 Trail XT Green
    AC- Roof, Doors, Bumpers, Sliders, Down Bars, 1/4 Windshield
    EMP- Rear window
    EVO- Bullet Muffler & DYI turn down
    Safety- Dragonfire Harness Bar, .50 Caliber Harnesses, Joe's Racing rear view mirror, Pro Armor Fire Extinguisher
    Quadbox- Expedition storage box
    Bandit- 175/200 springs
    Rugged Radios- RH-5R &helmet kits (3 of)
    30" LED light bar
    Badlands- Winch
    Fan Circuit Breaker Fuse
    DYI- Master Cylinder Guard
    26" M1 Evil tires on 14" TIP Hurricane Rims

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Ouch!! Sorry to hear about the accident. I know how easy it can be to get complacent and not even realize your arm is resting on top of the door, especially in the tight confines of the trail.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with a few bolt ons, 2009 Rhino 700 with a few bolt ons, 1987 Buick Grand National with a few bolt ons.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    That sucks but it sounds like your recovering nicely.
    I tore my distal bicep tendon at the radius while lifting at the gym. Had surgery also and am about 5 weeks out from that just starting to slowly get it going again.
    16' Wildcat Sport Limited, Metallic Black/Cat Racing Green
    Our AC family: 03' 400 Cat Green, 04' 650v2 Cat Green, 04' 500 Cat Green, 12' 700 EFI SE Black/Gray, 14' 1000xt Black/Cat Green, 16' Wildcat Trail XT

Member #
    Liked
    778 times
    You know what happened
    You know why it happened
    You know how to keep it from happening again
    In my opinion, this is a great post
    Craggar, izom, Ron380 and 1 others like this.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    Thank you guys for the info on the arm restraints. I am going to definitely be ordering a set for driver and passenger and installing harnesses.

cragger - I have caught myself more than once resting my arm there, and it bit me pretty hard this time.

ohsportcat - The healing does seem to be going quite well, today is day 8 after surgery and I have full range of motion (limited by the splint) and no pain. A tendon tear sounds absolutely awful, something I will not be adding to my bucket list. I do hope you heal fully though and get back to it, being laid up is really tough.

Thanks crawlr, I have definitely learned an important lesson.

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8956 times
    Ouch! Heal up!
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Sponsored Links