MAP Sensor Survey, applicable to all Wildcats
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mbrandt1402

Thread: MAP Sensor Survey, applicable to all Wildcats

Member #
    Liked
    564 times

MAP Sensor Survey, applicable to all Wildcats

Now that I have an AFR gauge, I see that the rough idle of my '15 X is at least partly due to the air/fuel ratio being too lean. The AFR stays higher than stoich even at part throttle cruising - often in the 15 range and occasionally higher.

The output of the MAP sensor is available in the BARO diagnostic window of the X, and I assume it is also available in the other models as the MAP sensor is the same for the 1000, X, Trail, Sport and XX. The factory service manual explains that the unit of measure used in the display can be compared to the normal barometric pressure unit of measure by dividing the BARO number by 34. It also says the BARO should be "very close" to local barometric pressure.

I replaced my throttle body 8 months ago due to my 'cat needing to have the "synchronization" procedure performed on a regular basis (the new one might require it a little less frequently, but it wasn't a magic bullet). Using two different Weather Underground stations that are nearby, the current MAP sensor is nearly 8% low. The original MAP sensor is 7% low. My own digital barometer reads about 1% lower than the two Weather Underground stations, but that still leaves the two sensors about 7% too low, resulting in lean AFRs.

Country Cat's return policy is pretty much the same as any parts store: electrical stuff can't be returned. Before I blow $150 on another MAP sensor, I'd like to have at least some feeling that a third sensor would be closer to actual barometric pressure.

You don't need to start your Wildcat to get this data. Just turn on the ignition and move through the diagnostic displays until you get to BARO or similar. On a 1000 or X, press and hold the two buttons on the display until the diags window displays, then press the righthand button about 3 times. If you use Weather Underground, you have to scroll down to the "Additional Conditions" section to find Pressure. Multiply Pressure by 34 and compare it to your BARO read out, then post the two numbers.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Wildcat: 930 Weather: 1032
    Wildcat: 938 Weather: 1032
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    When I get throttle body back on I'll try remember to get the info for you
    2014 WildCat X

• AC full doors, flip up windshield, hard top & step bars
    • EMP dust dust stopper & customized front bumper with KFI winch
    • HighLifter rear radius bars
    • Bad Dawg rear storage box
    • AJ's bushings and flares
    • SuperATV tie rods
    • Heated seats
    • Heavy duty rear axle upgrade
    • Tusk Terrabites
    • December 2018 Wildcat of the Month

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    My AFR on my turbo'd X, has always read lean at idle; without any idle issue. - AFR at idle will always read a little erratic, and lean, because of the inhalation/presence of fresh air due to the lack of exhaust velocity.

-I don't have MAP numbers from my buggy off hand at the moment, but would love to help you out later, when I get a chance.

Personally, in the dealership days, I only replaced one throttle body on a '12 Wildcat, due to mechanical/throttle plate issues. - I can't remember ever having much success using the synchronization procedure from Cat, to correct an idle issue. - More times than not, a fresh set of irridium spark plugs, and fresh fuel always yielded the best results.
    -Given all other factors, being it valve lash, fuel pressure, and fuel quality being good, spark plugs were always my silver bullet on these engines.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Thanks, Get.Slicked.

The condition I was able to correct using the synchronization process was a cyclical surge in RPM and then a cut. The surge was probably up to about 2,000 RPM and possibly a bit higher, then it would cut fuel and almost die. Synchronization always fixed it, but sometimes it would be back within a few days. I asked D&P at Rally on the Rocks 2018 and they had seen that problem a few times but did not know if it was the MAP sensor or throttle valve that was at fault. They always put a new throttle body on. It happens with less frequency with the new throttle body, but it didn't go away. I'm wondering if my ECM loses the stored value that it get from the synchronization process. I have a salvage ECM on the way that I hope to have flashed to the latest X software. It will be interesting to see if that helps.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Wildcat: 1014 Weather: 1034
    2014 WildCat X

• SuperATV tie rods
    • Heated seats
    • Tusk Terrabites

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Thanks, DaButcher.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Here is an odd bit of behavior that I can't quite sort out, and a big part of why I'm asking for BARO data:

The turbo kit includes a circuit that is supposed to modify the MAP signal when the engine goes into boost. As I understand it, it limits the BARO signal. Though the mfg says the circuit isn't supposed to alter AFR in anyway, just keep the stock ECM happy when you hit boost, I discovered that it lowers the BARO signal by almost 40 points. That takes my Wildcat from a marginally lean idle to a bad lean idle in the 17 AFR range. It also runs crappy at part throttle with the circuit installed. The US distributor recommended that I just tune the turbo fuel controller, which fires two additional injectors, to get good idle and part-throttle AFRs. I've only tried fixing it at idle, but any change that I make only registers briefly, then fades away over the next few seconds. My conclusion is that I'm seeing the AC ECM reacting to the narrowband signal (I have a '15) and pulling fuel out of the stock injectors to get back to its target, which apparently is a marginally lean idle. I made a small change and watched the affect disappear and then made a larger change and watched it disappear.

If my conclusion is correct, I don't understand why the AC ECM isn't adding fuel when the MAP signal modifier is in the circuit. The fueling is based on an incorrect, lower density number from the MAP sensor, so the amount of fuel that gets injected is reduced resulting in really bad AFR, but the narrowband/ECM doesn't adjust.

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Have you considered something like adding a potentiometer. If so and figure it out I'd give it a try also my 14X runs to lean, all stock except for muffler and air filter.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article...art-6&A=113161
    Last edited by DaButcher; 11-01-2019 at 05:05 AM.
    2014 WildCat X

• SuperATV tie rods
    • Heated seats
    • Tusk Terrabites

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    I think my next move is to install 2014 software in the ECM (that came to me last night as I lay in bed, wondering what to do with the MCX kit). Killing the narrowband would remove the ability of the ECM to counteract what I'm trying to do with the MCX controller and injectors.

As far as what you could do, the MAP sensor signal is 0 to 5v. I haven't seen anything that details the signal. If you knew what the sensor output looked like, you could probably have a device built that would add (assuming 0v is max vacuum and 5v is nearly or into boost) X volts to what the sensor generated and then pass that to the ECM. Or just keep buying MAP sensors until you get a rich one (higher BARO than actual barometric pressure).

I asked Country Cat if I could return a tested-but-unused sensor and they said no, which is in line with just about any supplier's policy on electric and electronic components. I haven't gone beyond that inquiry - I don't really have a relationship with the local dealers as I do all of my own maintenance, mods, etc.
    DaButcher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    564 times
    Update: AC keeps a tight lid on what the dealerships are able to do with the ECM software, so 2014 software in a 2015 ECM is a dead end.

Sponsored Links