Clutch Cover Cut
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times

Clutch Cover Cut

I am ordering a clutch kit for my WC1000 and figured now would be a good time to cut the clutch cover so I don't need to drop the shock to do a belt change in the future. Is there any reason why a diagonal cut or a vertical cut would be better?

Also, both halves would still need to be removed to take the belt off...correct?

2013.5 Wildcat 4

UTV Inc. Cage, doors and roof
    30" tires on Dragonfire Baja Crusher Beadlocks
    Dragonfire front and rear bumpers
    Dragonfire 4 pt. harness
    Yoshimura complete exhaust
    Cali Raised rear dust light
    Aluminum arm guards
    Siezmik mirrors
    5150 LED Whips

Member #
    Liked
    565 times
    You should do some searches - there is a lot of cut cover info on the forum.

To my knowledge, there is only one cut-cover solution where you can do the belt by removing just one of the pieces. One guy made a cut leaving just a sliver of cover at the top. I think he was able to remove the big lower piece with the shock in place. For certain he could change the belt with the sliver still installed.

I think I'm the only guy to do it diagonal. The advantage that I saw was that when running at the dunes I can remove the bottom half and the top piece continues to protect the primary clutch and keeps sand & pebbles from falling onto the secondary. Without jacking anything up or removing a shock bolt, I can remove the bottom piece very easily. The top piece has to be turned just right in order to get it off and it usually takes me a minute or so to figure it out each time.

The diagonal cut results in the longest seam between the two pieces, and the longer seam means there is more RTV to hold the two pieces together. I was surprised to find just how solid the two halves are joined - it feels just like an uncut cover as I work with it. Of course I don't have any experience with a vertical or horizontal cut, so maybe they are just as solid.

The downside is that most of the time I treat it like a one-piece cover most of the time when I want to mess with clutches. I don't want to cut the seal and have to re-seal it. So other than when I go to the dunes and remove the lower half to keep the belt cooler, my cut is sort of like breaking the glass window to pull the fire alarm. I can slice the RTV and get to the belt quickly if I ever have an emergency, but I don't mess with it otherwise.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 10-30-2019 at 09:32 PM.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Thanks for the Info. I have read quite a few posts but never could figure out if one method was better than the other. I was leaning toward the diagonal and I think you helped me decide that it was the way to go for me as well. And like you, I will use the cut cover function only for emergency repairs in the field. Did you get your cover from D&P or did you cut it yourself?

2013.5 Wildcat 4

UTV Inc. Cage, doors and roof
    30" tires on Dragonfire Baja Crusher Beadlocks
    Dragonfire front and rear bumpers
    Dragonfire 4 pt. harness
    Yoshimura complete exhaust
    Cali Raised rear dust light
    Aluminum arm guards
    Siezmik mirrors
    5150 LED Whips

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    565 times
    I cut it myself on a radial arm saw with a non-ferrous metals saw blade.

I put the saw arm at about 45 degrees, matched the saw angle to the ridge cast into the cover and screwed the cover to the saw table. I could cut about 3 or 4" deep, but had to finish cutting down through the cover mounting flange in two more steps.

That ridge happens to point almost perfectly at the two recesses that index the cover to the engine. The pins are missing on my 'cat, so I didn't think sawing through the index pockets was a big deal.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
    I cut it myself on a radial arm saw with a non-ferrous metals saw blade.

I put the saw arm at about 45 degrees, matched the saw angle to the ridge cast into the cover and screwed the cover to the saw table. I could cut about 3 or 4" deep, but had to finish cutting down through the cover mounting flange in two more steps.

That ridge happens to point almost perfectly at the two recesses that index the cover to the engine. The pins are missing on my 'cat, so I didn't think sawing through the index pockets was a big deal.
    I had a 2013.5X and at the same time had a 2015x 4. I had DP cut the clutch cover on the 2013, it went horizontal from front to back. I think they charged me $40.00 to cut it. I sold the 2013.5x and like a dumb ass did not switch the covers. I went through the the first belt on the 2013 in 400 miles. Changed my driving habits and got an additional 900 miles on the second one. I then had the cover cut.
    I started using low gear to start in and would shift to high on the fly. I did burn another belt but it was my fault, I was not paying attention. Now, I never start in high on the 2015 and have never changed a belt, 2800 miles. Changing the belts are a real pain.
    I have a table metal band saw and am trying to get up courage to cut it myself. If i messed it up I would just have to buy a new cover. The worst part of it is taking the cover off.
    2015 X 4

Member #
    Liked
    565 times
    Congrats on having a band saw big enough to handle a clutch cover. I briefly looked at all types of band saws when I was in the planning stages. Those things are a little spendy!

I can loan you a clutch cover if you mess up (that way you can watch for a deal on a used one). Realistically, I don't think you can do anything that would render your's unusable.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Hey Mbrandt,

Thank you for the offer, if I mess it up I will contact you. The reason I have this band saw is I have a sheet metal shop and make duct, curb adapters all kind of sheet metal for the air conditioning industry.
    2015 X 4

Sponsored Links