Sport Limited Noise Level?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Sport Limited Noise Level?

Member #

First post here and looking for honest answers please.

The wife and I went to purchase a used Can-Am Commander 1000 yesterday. We traveled 250 miles on way to get this 2016 at a great price and it was loaded up with options, took a drive on it and said NO Way can we drag this home and have fun on it. It was sooooo loud, and yet was completly stock. It was also very hot with the engine sitting right in the middle. We would have never had fun on it not being able to go down the road and communicate without yelling. Even at 20 MPH it was not going to be fun. We walked away from a really great deal on that one because it was so loud and hot.

Were coming off a pair of Honda Rincon 650's which are fairly quiet and they also keep the RPM and noise down well, pretty civilized the Rincons are. Am I going to need to get another Honda like a Pioneer, or is the Wildcat Sport fairly quiet? I'd like something a little more sporty than a Pioneer I guess. I had a 660 Grizzly and didn't like the noise it made with the CVT with RPMs up and exhaust noise, also steered so much harder than the Rincons. Don't want to spend 20K on a talon only to get used very little as I expect.

I have my eye on a couple of Sport Limited's, a 2015 and a 2016. Would the Limited's be quiet for the wife and I going down the gravel road, we'd like to put the dog in the back too so can't and won't have loud. Or do I need to look elsewhere? I'd like reliability, quiet and fun. We don't wear helmets either.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Not sure how loud or hot the Can Am is inside the cab but the Sport/Trail is a little on the noisy side IMO as well and have been known to be warm too. Many of us have put vents in the spark plug access cover which helps. I also have a Rhino and it is a fair bit quieter than my Trail.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with a few bolt ons, 2009 Rhino 700 with a few bolt ons, 1987 Buick Grand National with a few bolt ons.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    Take them for a ride but to be honest anyone that says they're quiet is pulling your leg
    August 2018 Wildcat Of The Month

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4126 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mtgott View Post
    Take them for a ride but to be honest anyone that says they're quiet is pulling your leg
    huh? what? come again?...hard to read lips when your driving your rig...solution is a rugged radio intercom system via helmet or just plain headphones while wearing a baseball cap...
    mtgott and roylohr like this.
    October 2018 WOTM Arctic Cat Wildcat XX (Satin Charcoal Metallic w/Green Decals)
    Arctic Cat: Black Aluminum Roof; 36" LED Light Bar; Rearview Mirror; Full Windshield; Rear Window; Spare Tire Carrier; Kick Panel Bags; Black Front/Rear Steel Bumpers; 6" LED Light Bar; Rock Sliders; Spare Tire Rim w/OEM CST Behemoth; Trailerable Cover; Green Rock Light Kit--PRP: "RS" Suspension Seats; 4.2 Harnesses--D&P Performance: 2" Seat Mounts/Risers--Ryco Moto: Street Legal Kit--Seizmik: Strike Side View Mirrors--​Rugged Radio: XX Mobile Radio Mount; RM-25R Dual Band Mobile Radio; RRP660 2 Place Intercom System w/Helmet Kits & H22-Ultimate Headsets--Trail Armor: Skids; A-arm & Trailing Arm Guards--Speedwerx: Heavy Duty Steering Box Bushing; H5 Alloy Secondary Clutch Spring 180/240; Team Boss Driven Clutch Delrin Washers--775Fabrication: Reluctor Shield--Ryfab: Cargo Box--
    KFI: Rear 2" Receiver Hitch--Spring Brake Thingy--

Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    They ain't quiet, sport & trail lean towards irritating actually. I changed muffler, modified with a full turn down tip but yeah they are not quiet or a great tone. But they rip good, fit almost anywhere a quad can go and are plain fun. We wear helmets and the added tip helped with the tone a bit. By your comments and noise concerns, you should look elsewhere. Try one out or hear one running around.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2691 times
    Yeah I'll add to the honest assessments here. I have a 2014 Trail and from what I've gathered, nothing would lead me to believe anything has changed on newer models. They are very noisy and they get very warm inside the cab. I would never consider putting a dog in the back unless you want a "hotdog", because the heat created back there could be very dangerous to any pet. With all that said, I have almost 5,000 miles on mine and love it. I've done things to help mitigate the heat and noise, plus the wife and I are going to look into Rugged Radio headgear, so we can talk without shouting.
    DeanTeck and mtgott like this.
    2014 Wildcat Trail - RED

Muzzy: complete exhaust system - Dobeck: Gen 4 AFR+ fuel tuner - Speedwerx: clutch spring - R2C Performance: air filter - A/C: steel bumpers front and rear, Warn winch, rearview mirror, full windshield, polycarbonate rear panel, front storage box - AJ's: fender flares, radiator guards - Dragongunner: brake reservoir guard - Sak kitty: parking brake - SuperATV: rack & pinion stabilizer kit, frame stiffener - EMP: aluminum roof, smack back buggy mirrors - SSS Off Road: skid plate - PRP: GT/SE suspension seats - Dragonfire: harness bar - ProArmor: 2" padded 4 pt. harnesses (red) - Bandit: (200/240) spring set - Kimpex: Expedition Sport Trunk - Wolfsnout: goggles & dust mask - Garage Products: suspension bushings - Kanati: Mongrel AT27x9R12 front, AT27x11R12 rear

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4126 times
    our midnight edition ezryde exhaust with turn down tail pipe helped quell the beast so to speak in our since traded in 2016 trail se rig...didn't sound like a bunch of bees in heat any longer...much more pleasant sound...wish they'd come out with one for our xx...
    dspete05 likes this.
    October 2018 WOTM Arctic Cat Wildcat XX (Satin Charcoal Metallic w/Green Decals)
    Arctic Cat: Black Aluminum Roof; 36" LED Light Bar; Rearview Mirror; Full Windshield; Rear Window; Spare Tire Carrier; Kick Panel Bags; Black Front/Rear Steel Bumpers; 6" LED Light Bar; Rock Sliders; Spare Tire Rim w/OEM CST Behemoth; Trailerable Cover; Green Rock Light Kit--PRP: "RS" Suspension Seats; 4.2 Harnesses--D&P Performance: 2" Seat Mounts/Risers--Ryco Moto: Street Legal Kit--Seizmik: Strike Side View Mirrors--​Rugged Radio: XX Mobile Radio Mount; RM-25R Dual Band Mobile Radio; RRP660 2 Place Intercom System w/Helmet Kits & H22-Ultimate Headsets--Trail Armor: Skids; A-arm & Trailing Arm Guards--Speedwerx: Heavy Duty Steering Box Bushing; H5 Alloy Secondary Clutch Spring 180/240; Team Boss Driven Clutch Delrin Washers--775Fabrication: Reluctor Shield--Ryfab: Cargo Box--

Member #
    Liked
    545 times
    Which side-by-sides get warm in the cockpit has a lot to do with where the radiator is. The Wildcat 1000 or X has the radiator behind the cockpit. During early spring and fall rides in the cool Pacific Northwest, I'd actually like a little more heat!

As others have suggested, an intercom system is a really good investment. I balked at getting one (they aren't cheap), but it makes riding so much more enjoyable. One bit of advice: a friend talked me into buying two of the low-power radios with helmet kits (mic and speakers) to use as an intercom. We used it for a week before deciding it just wasn't a good solution. That friend also has a proper intercom now.
    Last edited by mbrandt1402; 07-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

This is hilarious, too loud to talk to each other lol, do you guys whisper? I made my sport louder so it actually sounded good and still have no problems talking.... well as much as you talk while ripping, my buddy has a commander 1000 with muzzy exhaust and can talk just fine, you want quiet buy an electric golf cart and stick to the trails in retirement communities and whisper all you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tmo1620; 07-08-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4126 times
    it's not the talking being the issue...for us old coots it's the hearing!...
    Dean, mtgott, dspete05 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I would suggest an electric EZ Go Golf Cart if you want quiet.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    841 times
    I have an electric Yamaha golf car and it's one of the handiest things around the place.
    Dean likes this.
    August 2018 Wildcat Of The Month

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    All sxs are noisy and hot
    16' Wildcat Sport Limited, Metallic Black/Cat Racing Green
    Our AC family: 03' 400 Cat Green, 04' 650v2 Cat Green, 04' 500 Cat Green, 12' 700 EFI SE Black/Gray, 14' 1000xt Black/Cat Green, 16' Wildcat Trail XT

Member #
    I have ridden in quite a few sxs and happen to think the sports are fairly quiet when modifications are done. I have lined my rear firewall and floor with the 7 mil foam silver insulation . Also wrapped my head pipe with titanium header wrap and had the heat shield recall done and it’s quiet and cool now.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    My 18 Sport with Cat still in it is a huge improvement in noise reduction compared to my 14 Trail with no Cat.
    I also run 18" of flex pipe from the exhaust tip down to hitch area, that helps quite a bit to cut the noise.
    With a full rear windshield & 1/2 front I had no heat issues with my Trail at all, now my new Sport has a mesh rear & a flip up front & the heat really seeps in with the front down.
    I also ran a rubber flap under the seat to try to contain heat flowing from engine bay, it helped quite a bit but it's a hard area to seal off completely.
    Dean likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links