RPM Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By senior

Thread: RPM Question

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

RPM Question

Is there a way to lower high end RPMs? Like overdrive does on a car. I get my Sport up to 50 mph and it just sounds so high.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Nature of the CVT beast.
    You could lower cruise rpms with a Dalton kit but performance at WOT would suffer.
    You could try A/C primary spring 0823-509, it would do the same as above at a cheaper rate.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    taller tires
    2016 Trail Limited
    Super ATV flip-up windshield
    Quadra gear convertible roof
    Quadra gear upper door panels
    30" super led light bar
    6" super led light bar rear
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    Bandit Heavy springs
    28"x10"x12" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
    Warn winch
    AC front and rear bumpers
    AC rock sliders
    72" Click and Go 2 plow system

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I've been on the quest for lowing RPM for quite some time now. there is just NO way of doing it without any negative impact. I got the Dalton adjustable clutch kit, played with my primary and secondary springs. the best results I got is about 700 RPM drop at 50 km/h and that was with the biggest weights in the clutch the stock primary spring and the Dalton secondary installed. it was great for short rides but anything longer than 30 - 40 min the belt would start to heat up and not want to disengage. not to mention the loss in performance. right now I'm running the biggest weights and the Dalton primary and secondary spring (stock tires). It's better than stock for engagement, down shifting and trail riding. but still if i push the bike hard the belt takes a beating.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    700rpm drop at 50kms is significant drop, combine that with taller tires & your cruise rpm is much improved.
    All CVTs run hot, nature of the beast, a hot belt has nothing to do with clutch disengagement, that's a separate issue some Cat owners have with their primary sticking when hot, search the forum for lots of talk about this issue.
    I've run a ton of miles on my old Trail & with 28" tires with no belt issues using the Dalton kit, in fact, with proper use of Low Range when required there's no reason a belt shouldn't last 5-7,000 before replacement.
    Last edited by senior; 07-16-2019 at 06:49 AM.
    tmo1620 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    You're right, could just be a issue with my bearing sticking in the primary. What weights in the primary are you running with the 28" tires?

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Big denis 10 View Post
    You're right, could just be a issue with my bearing sticking in the primary. What weights in the primary are you running with the 28" tires?
    I ran a Dalton kit on my Trail, never measured weight of Arms but I ran about the middle weight set-screw. Love the adjust ability of the kit.

My new Sport is still low on mileage but I'm so impressed with the stock clutching with 27" Big Horns I have really not seen the need to install the kit. I have new tires to go on this fall, we'll see then if it's needed. The cruise on new Sport is either at a much lower rpm or seems so because it's so much quieter, I haven't knocked the Cadillac out of it yet.

Sponsored Links