Really impressed, but....what bushings?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Really impressed, but....what bushings?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Really impressed, but....what bushings?

I have to say, the more I drive this little Wildcat Trail, the more impressed I am. I have had MANY side x sides, and this one is different from all the rest. It handles like a sports car, and has a good combination of low CG, adequate ground clearance, good power and decent suspension. Now, I am going to put a set of Bandit springs on the shocks, but first, with 300+ miles on her, I believe the bushings are shot. I will likely go with AJ's bushings, but he has 2 sets. One with sleeves, and one without. My Trail is stock, so, which set do I need? Thank you!
    Last edited by cnj; 11-23-2018 at 05:19 PM.
    2017 Arctic Cat Wildcat Sport SE
    2015 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    843 times
    When I changed mine the original sleeves were rusted so I'm glad I ordered the complete set, if your sleeves are in good shape you would be fine with just bushings. You could also wire brush or sand the original sleeves clean.
    Dean and mrhammond like this.

Member #
    Liked
    548 times
    I just looked up the bushings - the Trail and the X use the same ones. So what I found and posted in this thread is applicable to Trails and I assume Sports: https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...-bushings.html

The summary is that you can get an equivalent Oilite bushing that is 25% longer than the OEM part for a fair amount less than the OEM bushing. I ordered a handful to use Monday, when my new sleeves arrive. I would expect the improvement to service life to be pretty linear - 25% more bushing should extend the replacement interval ~25%.

Per the parts drawing, there also appears to be a lot of room to add another sleeve bushing (no shoulder) that would be inserted to the inside of the standard bushing position. You could easily increase the bushing material (and thereby decrease the wear) massively at very little cost. I didn't look for that configuration, but I suspect it would be even cheaper than the Oilite replacement for the shouldered bushing since there will be fewer machining and QC steps.

I had to wait about two weeks when I ordered my bushings, but with just a little planning, you can use superior replacement parts AND save a few bucks.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    I used the Garage Products bushings that come with new sleeves. I'm glad I had new sleeves as the ones in both of my 2015 trails with roughly 1k miles were really rusted. Definitely get new sleeves.
    dspete05 likes this.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I watched the you tube video on replacing bushings and looks like something I can do. I ordered the Garage Product ones because of them using an o-ring and lifetime warranty. Who has installed their own and how long did it take? Would you tackle it again.
    Built by Jeremiah at D & P Performance, 14" 4+3 Raceline Beadlock wheels w Arisun Aftershock 30x10x14 , Speedwerx Header & Exhaust,
    D & P Clutch Kit, D & P Elka Spring Kit, D & P Roof and Glove Box Door, PRP Seats, AC Door and Roof Storage Bags, VIP Fender Flares, 12mm wheel studs.
    14" now 15"Clearance and 64" wide, Wildcat Willy's Assault Tie Rods. Traded 2014 Trail with 5100 miles on it.

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc16 View Post
    I watched the you tube video on replacing bushings and looks like something I can do. I ordered the Garage Product ones because of them using an o-ring and lifetime warranty. Who has installed their own and how long did it take? Would you tackle it again.
    Replacing the bushings is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a bearing/ seal driver kit and take your time. Also, take your time and clean up the rust and stuff out of the A-arm before replacing. Don't be in a hurry. The rear is much easier than the front. I would start with the rears and do the fronts last as you'll have a better idea of how things work. It took me about 1 day for the fronts and 1 day to do the rears, but I also added grease fittings to the A-arms,greased the rack and pinion for the steering when I was doing the front, and swapped the springs at the same time. It's not really hard work just a little labor intensive. I definitely would not pay someone to do it. Too expensive for what they're doing. You don't need any special knowledge for this job. Just make sure you torque everything correctly when you're finished.
    Dean and mrhammond like this.
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    Like Wired says, think I was 3-5 hrs each end, while checking and cleaning surrounding stuff like rusted shock posts on the front.. I used long tapered punches to remove the brass oem's, and appropriate deep socket to install the uhmw units. Had new sleeves, anti seized the bolts/bushing contact areas as pretty rusted when they came out. Torque everything to specs, and recheck after a good run.. Definitely home project, don't pay somebody, except the swearing jar haha!
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc16 View Post
    I have nothing against AJ's - but just out of convenience I used garage products. I had a full set replaced under warranty last year, so they definitely stand behind what they say! I've found that the sleeves wear almost as much as the bushings, so I'd definitely do both together. Price wise, its somewhat of a no-brainer, as the OEM parts are stupid-expensive, I don't know why... My brother has a RZR 900 and the bushings are like $2 or $3 each. So an "upgrade" is quite a bit more than the OEM on that, but from Arctic Cat, there's just not a huge difference.
    It's somewhat time consuming, but not difficult at all. I'd definitely do the same again.
    My original OEM's were worn out after about 4 or 500 miles (700kms or so) The Garage Products lasted about 8000km - and I now have another 1000 or so on the new set. They are still very tight/fresh.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    as they all have said, its not too hard just time consuming. I bought aj's with sleeves. they are working well
    2016 Trail Limited
    Super ATV flip-up windshield
    Quadra gear convertible roof
    Quadra gear upper door panels
    30" super led light bar
    6" super led light bar rear
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    Bandit Heavy springs
    28"x10"x12" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
    Warn winch
    AC front and rear bumpers
    AC rock sliders
    72" Click and Go 2 plow system

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    I had to have 4 ball joints and 2 bearings replaced so I had D&P Performance install Garage Products bushings. Wow what a difference, like a new machine. I had 10,000 miles on the OEM's so it was way past time. Garage Products gives military discount which helps and they have lifetime warranty.
    Built by Jeremiah at D & P Performance, 14" 4+3 Raceline Beadlock wheels w Arisun Aftershock 30x10x14 , Speedwerx Header & Exhaust,
    D & P Clutch Kit, D & P Elka Spring Kit, D & P Roof and Glove Box Door, PRP Seats, AC Door and Roof Storage Bags, VIP Fender Flares, 12mm wheel studs.
    14" now 15"Clearance and 64" wide, Wildcat Willy's Assault Tie Rods. Traded 2014 Trail with 5100 miles on it.

Member #
    Liked
    498 times
    Gmc16. 10,000 miles. That is impressive!
    2016 Wildcat X Limited
    PRP XC seats with PRP bases and PRP 4.2 harnesses
    MPI high grip steering wheel
    Dragonfire harness bar
    STI HD beadlock wheels
    Tensor Regulator 28x10Rx14 tires
    12mm wheel stud upgrade
    Textron rear axle, hub & spindle upgrade
    De Anza Works axle nut retainers
    EZ*Ryde exhaust
    AC flip up windshield & AC rear panel
    Street legal kit
    Pursuit side view mirrors
    Bad Dawg rear storage box
    AC spare tire & my spare axle carrier
    Factory UTV full skid, rock sliders and A Arm guards
    Ricochet trailing arm guards
    Aj's fender flares and tub guards
    Aj's trailing arm joints & front A-arm kit
    EVP tie rods
    Treadliner floor mats
    Blak Roket parking brake
    Rotopax fuel pack
    R2C performance air filter
    Cat Hitch front and rear hitches
    UTV Inc. under hood winch mount
    Viper Elite 5000 lb. winch
    High Lifter arched lower radius bars
    ​March 2017 & April 2018 WOTM

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Replacing the bushings is pretty easy. Just make sure you have a bearing/ seal driver kit and take your time. Also, take your time and clean up the rust and stuff out of the A-arm before replacing. Don't be in a hurry. The rear is much easier than the front. I would start with the rears and do the fronts last as you'll have a better idea of how things work. It took me about 1 day for the fronts and 1 day to do the rears, but I also added grease fittings to the A-arms,greased the rack and pinion for the steering when I was doing the front, and swapped the springs at the same time. It's not really hard work just a little labor intensive. I definitely would not pay someone to do it. Too expensive for what they're doing. You don't need any special knowledge for this job. Just make sure you torque everything correctly when you're finished.
    How do you check or know when the A-arm bearings are shot ie. excessive movement in wheels or sloppy steering?

Member #
    Liked
    391 times
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor View Post
    How do you check or know when the A-arm bearings are shot ie. excessive movement in wheels or sloppy steering?
    Movement in the wheels. Check out my replacement thread here with before and after vids: https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...my-trails.html
    Dean and skeletor like this.

Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Movement in the wheels. Check out my replacement thread here with before and after vids: https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...my-trails.html
    Holy hell you should write repair manuals man. Already did mine but if it was first thought of what to do and why your info would be helpful.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

other options

There is now a fourth option. A company called "All Balls Racing" which makes linkage rebuild kits for dirt bikes now carries rebuild kits for our Trails. I have used them with success but I also recommend adding a grease nipple to each pivot point while you have the suspension apart>> easy enough to do drill small hole tap and thread in nipple.

For Canucks the All Balls option is available domestically at any motorcycle shop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links