6x12 Enclosed trailer questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 6x12 Enclosed trailer questions

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

6x12 Enclosed trailer questions

So I'm going back and forth. Enclosed or open. Really want to stick with a 6x12 because the price jumps significantly when going to a 7'. I know the machine will fit in the enclosed, but can you physically get in and out of the seat without doing it, "Duke's of Hazard" style ?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    I have been also looking but everything I've heard is you will need to winch it in and there is no more for anything else.
    I have always heard if you think you need a certain size trailer,tractor whatever go 2 sizes bigger.
    I am looking at a 7x16 maybe 8.5x16
    Good Luck
    Dean and mtgott like this.
    2015 Wildcat Trail Limited Red & White Paint
    28" Kanati Mongrel Tires,ITP SS212 Black Rims, 12mm Studs, Bandit Springs 200/240lbs, PRP XC Seats
    MotoAlliance:Viper 3000lb Winch, EzRyde Midnight Muffler, Rugged Radio & Intercom Kimpex Expedition Sport Trunk
    Arctic Cat Front & Rear Black Steel Bumpers, Rear Angle bars Arctic Cat Metal Roof & Rear Window, AJ's Front & Rear Fenders
    Super ATV Tinted Half Windshield, Super ATV 2"Lift kit, Kryptic TieRods, Dalton Clutch
    Garage Product Bushings, Magellan TRX7, 28" Generic Light Bar, K Aus Designworks Rad Guard & Park Brake
    DragonFire 4-Point 2"Harness/Bar, Front Angle bar & RockSliders
    Homemade Rear Rack

2012 Prowler 550 XT Blue 50th Anniversary
    26" Interco Reptile Tires, 3500lbs Traveler Winch, Arctic Cat Front Black Steel Bumper
    Koplin Full Tilt Windshield, Koplin Roof and Rear Window
    Chinese made 4.3" Backup Camera/Monitor

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by boonedog View Post
    I have been also looking but everything I've heard is you will need to winch it in and there is no more for anything else.
    I have always heard if you think you need a certain size trailer,tractor whatever go 2 sizes bigger.
    I am looking at a 7x16 maybe 8.5x16
    Good Luck
    THIS!!!!

If I could add anything, besides going with a bigger trailer, you have to look at the positives that an enclosed trailer gives you. First, forget the cost. If you don't spend your hard earned money there, you'll spend it somewhere else, and probably have nothing to show for it.

An enclosed trailer keeps prying eyes, and hands off your stuff. Not just your SXS, but tools, compressor, gas cans, gear, tie downs, etc. When you go for a ride, all that stuff on an open trailer is just sitting there. Now I would like to think that most off-roaders are honest, but then again.... Weather, your SXS will be safe from the elements. If you go on a trip, and the wind starts howling at 40 - 50 miles an hour, your car is inside, not getting air blasted with debris. Same with you, an enclosed trailer can guard you from the elements, and you can also bed down for the night if needed. If you go the enclosed trailer route, as stated get bigger than you think you need, but the one you do get, make sure has at least one, preferable two roof vents. That way the gas vapors can vent out, just incase you do need to sleep in it.
    Dean, dspete05 and mtgott like this.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    As for open vs enclosed, I would go enclosed if you can. Enclosed wasn't in the cards for me so I have an open trailer. There's not really many benefits to it other than it's easy to clean off if I put muddy machines on it. Other than that the exposed wood needs more maintenance, I can't sleep in it, and anything loaded on it is exposed to the weather. It would be nice to have an enclosed trailer that I could throw some extra stuff in to get it out of my garage and have some extra room to lock stuff up while camping.

It is nice if I need to haul boards longer than 18 ft as I can take the tail gate off and go a bit longer, but that's about it. If you don't really have a need for this, go enclosed. Sorry, I can't help you with size but if it's like a gun safe, definitely go as big as you can afford. It would be much better to save a little longer and get something you'll keep longer than to upgrade later on.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    I purchased a 6.5x12 open and it fits a trail pretty much perfectly. Not a ton of room for anything else but it was what was available and the right price. Could stuff some gear on the sides and in front/back of the machine but no way you'll get a dirt bike or anything else on there. If it was enclosed it would be a major pain to get in and out of the machine when loading/unloading. At 6' I dunno if you could.

Here is a picture, sorry the angle isn't the greatest, but it will give you an idea of what you'll be looking at.

Name:  IMG_20190316_171711932.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  3.88 MB
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    343 times
    Thanks for the info about the vents Hollywood. That makes alot of sense.
    Hollywood likes this.
    2015 Wildcat Trail Limited Red & White Paint
    28" Kanati Mongrel Tires,ITP SS212 Black Rims, 12mm Studs, Bandit Springs 200/240lbs, PRP XC Seats
    MotoAlliance:Viper 3000lb Winch, EzRyde Midnight Muffler, Rugged Radio & Intercom Kimpex Expedition Sport Trunk
    Arctic Cat Front & Rear Black Steel Bumpers, Rear Angle bars Arctic Cat Metal Roof & Rear Window, AJ's Front & Rear Fenders
    Super ATV Tinted Half Windshield, Super ATV 2"Lift kit, Kryptic TieRods, Dalton Clutch
    Garage Product Bushings, Magellan TRX7, 28" Generic Light Bar, K Aus Designworks Rad Guard & Park Brake
    DragonFire 4-Point 2"Harness/Bar, Front Angle bar & RockSliders
    Homemade Rear Rack

2012 Prowler 550 XT Blue 50th Anniversary
    26" Interco Reptile Tires, 3500lbs Traveler Winch, Arctic Cat Front Black Steel Bumper
    Koplin Full Tilt Windshield, Koplin Roof and Rear Window
    Chinese made 4.3" Backup Camera/Monitor

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    732 times
    Good advice Hollywood, we used an 18 foot enclosed trailer for several years before we got the toy hauler. I put a couple windows and a power roof vent in it and it served well for hauling and staying in with a blow up mattress
    Hollywood likes this.
    August 2018 Wildcat Of The Month

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I have a 7 x 12 open trailer and I am also looking at enclosed trailers. I personally would not get an enclosed trailer under 8 1/2’ wide and I would probably get one from 16 to 20 feet long. Never know what else you may wana haul and camping in it sounds like a great idea. I think a 20’ would allow you to add a shower, toilet and sink and then you have a nice toy hauler
    mtgott likes this.
    2016 Trail Limited
    Super ATV flip-up windshield
    Quadra gear convertible roof
    Quadra gear upper door panels
    30" super led light bar
    6" super led light bar rear
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    (4) 28"x10"x12" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
    Warn winch
    AC front and rear bumpers
    AC rock sliders
    72" Click and Go 2 plow system

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammond View Post
    I have a 7 x 12 open trailer and I am also looking at enclosed trailers. I personally would not get an enclosed trailer under 8 1/2’ wide and I would probably get one from 16 to 20 feet long. Never know what else you may wana haul and camping in it sounds like a great idea. I think a 20’ would allow you to add a shower, toilet and sink and then you have a nice toy hauler
    In the long run, and with less aggravation, might as well get a toy hauler if you want all those creature comforts.

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    True. Prolly cost the same and less work to just get a toy hauler. Love the idea of a trailer with living quarters tho. Hard to find a bumper pull toy hauler with a 12’ garage that isn’t huge and is 1/2 ton towable
    2016 Trail Limited
    30" super led light bar
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    Warn winch
    AC rock sliders

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    I went from a nice enclosed to an open trailer. The enclosed was a pain to store and with my 35' M/H in front of the 24' enclosed I was pretty long which was tricky in some of the spots we camped. What I have now is a small single axle trailer with expanded metal floor that makes it super easy for cleaning the machine and if I don't want to unload I can just back the trailer into the garage with the machine on it.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with a few bolt ons, 2009 Rhino 700 with a few bolt ons, 1987 Buick Grand National with a few bolt ons.

Member #
    Liked
    2942 times
    Some more brain fodder if the outside width of the trailer matches the tow vehicle it sure makes it easier to back as you can see what it is doing..

As for will it fit get some big boxes and space accordingly then park the putty in the middle - I call this CAD (cardboard aided design)
    Last edited by Black Cat; 04-11-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    blast likes this.
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    Good point. 7x12 open is great for a trail cat and fits inside
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    2016 Trail Limited
    30" super led light bar
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    Warn winch
    AC rock sliders

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammond View Post
    True. Prolly cost the same and less work to just get a toy hauler. Love the idea of a trailer with living quarters tho. Hard to find a bumper pull toy hauler with a 12’ garage that isn’t huge and is 1/2 ton towable
    Not really. Most toy hauler manufacturers have a " lite series" made especially for 1/2 tons. I usually recommend the Genesis line. Those trailers are over the top! I'm not sure if they have a lite series, but I know they have bumper pulls.

Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    I have both open and enclosed 6’ x 10’ trailers for my trail. I had the enclosed trailer before buying trail to haul a trike behind my motor home. It’s a tight fit in the enclosed trailer, all I do is a modified nascar to get in and out. Crack the door, stand up and slide out. An extra foot of width would be nice, but this works. The open trailer is a ton easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links