• 2 Post By DeanTeck
  • 1 Post By Hollywood
  • 4 Post By DeanTeck
  • 4 Post By ndlsjk

Thread: Give me advice please

Member #

Give me advice please

Hello everyone,
    Can anyone give me some advice and things to look for when looking at used Wildcat Trails? Any major problems I need to know about before I buy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4066 times
    year, miles, motor hours, recalls completed, service record, etc...also, check out the condition of the sellers house, neighborhood...
    mtgott and Craggar like this.
    October 2018 WOTM Textron Wildcat XX (Satin Charcoal Metallic w/Green Decals)
    Textron: Black Aluminum Roof; 36" LED Light Bar; Rearview Mirror; Full Windshield; Rear Window; Spare Tire Carrier; Bed Storage Net; Kick Panel Bags; Black Front/Rear Steel Bumpers; 6" LED Light Bar; Rock Sliders; Spare Tire Rim w/OEM CST Behemoth; Trailerable Cover; Green Rock Light Kit--PRP: "RS" Suspension Seats; 4.2 Harnesses--D&P Performance: 2" Seat Mounts/Risers--Ryco Moto: Street Legal Kit--Seizmik: Strike Side View Mirrors--​Rugged Radio: XX Mobile Radio Mount; RM-25R Dual Band Mobile Radio; RRP660 2 Place Intercom System w/Helmet Kits & H22-Ultimate Headsets--Trail Armor: Skids; A-arm & Trailing Arm Guards--Speedwerx: Heavy Duty Steering Box Bushing; H5 Alloy Secondary Clutch Spring 180/240; Team Boss Driven Clutch Delrin Washers--775Fabrication: Reluctor Shield; Replacement Tie Downs--Ryfab: Cargo Box--
    Spring Brake Thingy--

Member #
    Liked
    387 times
    The 1st thing I would look for is slop in the A-arm, & knuckle bushings.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8872 times
    Welcome Jesse829. Great advice has been given already. I don't know what your budget is, but have you checked our Supporting Vendor, MLS? They are located in Kentucky, and sell their new units lower than some guys sell their used units. Give them a shout, see what their prices are. Good luck.
    DFlynn likes this.
    2013 White/Orange Limited

April 2014 Wildcat of the Month

UTV Inc - cage, roof, doors, harnesses, fire extinguisher, blower, switches, shifter, billet orange gas cap
    Pace Offroad - Tie Rods & Radius Arms & A Arms, 12 mm Stud Kit
    STU Paddles/Rzrs - Douglass Sector Wheels
    Twisted Stitch heated suede seats
    EVO Bullet Muffler & Reflash
    Rigid 40" LED bar
    Rugged Radio
    AJ's Bushings
    Muzzy WCD

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    What does the type of house and the neighborhood have to do with their sxs. Kind of a kick in the you know what's to some people.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa T View Post
    What does the type of house and the neighborhood have to do with their sxs. Kind of a kick in the you know what's to some people.
    didn't mean to offend anyone and it wasn't meant that way...gives one (me) an idea how one takes care of their things...sorry for any offense perceived from the statement...
    October 2018 WOTM Textron Wildcat XX (Satin Charcoal Metallic w/Green Decals)
    Textron: Black Aluminum Roof; 36" LED Light Bar; Rearview Mirror; Full Windshield; Rear Window; Spare Tire Carrier; Bed Storage Net; Kick Panel Bags; Black Front/Rear Steel Bumpers; 6" LED Light Bar; Rock Sliders; Spare Tire Rim w/OEM CST Behemoth; Trailerable Cover; Green Rock Light Kit--PRP: "RS" Suspension Seats; 4.2 Harnesses--D&P Performance: 2" Seat Mounts/Risers--Ryco Moto: Street Legal Kit--Seizmik: Strike Side View Mirrors--​Rugged Radio: XX Mobile Radio Mount; RM-25R Dual Band Mobile Radio; RRP660 2 Place Intercom System w/Helmet Kits & H22-Ultimate Headsets--Trail Armor: Skids; A-arm & Trailing Arm Guards--Speedwerx: Heavy Duty Steering Box Bushing; H5 Alloy Secondary Clutch Spring 180/240; Team Boss Driven Clutch Delrin Washers--775Fabrication: Reluctor Shield; Replacement Tie Downs--Ryfab: Cargo Box--
    Spring Brake Thingy--

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I bought my trail in January and had no idea what to look for on a WCT specifically. It really depends on how much work/money you are willing to put into after the fact. I've been around snowmobiles my whole life, and dirt bikes and quads for a good part of it so it does make it easier to feel what you are getting into and if it's a tight machine. Might want to find a buddy that has some experience with this type of toy and take him with you for a test drive.

Mine is a 2014 and had 450ish miles. No real rust spots. Some minor scratches on the plastic. Top of the roll cage was not scratched or anything (so it "probably" wasn't rolled). The wheels were all attached and it started and ran smooth. No scary clunks or bangs. I was allowed to run it as much as I wanted around the parking lot of the dealer and drove it long enough to have it completely warmed up and did a couple hard launches and got it to rev out as far as possible in low range in the small lot. 4wd/diff lock engaged and worked. It was completely stock and the salesman at the dealer said it was run by an old guy on his farm. It felt like a solid machine and good deal so I went for it.

Now that I have owned it for a few months and had a chance to run it a bunch and spent some time working on it, the following issues have come to light: A-arm and knuckle bushings were worn (if they are stock bushings they most likely will need replaced), tires were getting worn down/stock tires are not great, both tie rod ends have leaky boots, front axle seal may/may not be leaking, jury is still out, stock springs were sagged so far that it only had about 7" ground clearance.

The firewall recall was done, and I'm assuming the junky oil fittings were as well.

I paid ~$6k and am happy with my purchase. It is a 5 year old machine so most of these issues are pretty much par for the course. I also enjoy working on it, so much easier to wrench on than the sled I traded for it.

My brother bought one 2 months after I got mine and we knew more of what to look for...he had 2 to choose from that were in similar shape but one of them just felt so much better while driving that the decision was easy for us.

Sorry if this is a bit more than you were looking for but I have a tendency to go a little overboard when asked to help.

Good luck!
    Jake
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Member #
    I just got rid of a 2013 RZR 800S with 4200 miles and was looking at having to put a oil seal in that would cost me 1500-2000. I’m wondering is there any common problems in trails that would require this amount of repair for a $30 seal? Looking to spend around 6000-6500 for a trail. Would like power steering too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    The have been pretty reliable machines. There were some that had some primary clutch issues, i'm sure they would have exposed themselves with in a few hundred miles.
    2014 Wildcat Trail XT Black

Built - DIY Gutted Muff, DIY Master Cylinder Guard, DIY Radiator Scoops, DIY Rock Sliders, Aluminum Roof Powder Coated, Grenade Shifter, Seat Moved Back 1.5" Extra,

Bought - Speed Werx Spring, AC Short Windscreen, AC Kick Panel Bags, AC Under Hood Storage, Tusk Shoulder Bag, 3500 Super Winch, 30" LED Light Bar, 27x9 OG Bighorns, Green LED Interior Lights, 1.5" Spacers In Front, 2" In Rear,

Sponsored Links