• 3 Post By Sak kitty
  • 1 Post By ndlsjk
  • 2 Post By Dean

Thread: Pop noise when attempting to pull a downed tree

Member #
    Liked
    34 times

Pop noise when attempting to pull a downed tree

Well, another weekend has passed and I have another possible issue with my trail lol. Seems to be a common thing.

I was out on my normal trails and came across a large downed tree. Hooked up my warn 2500lbs winch and tried to pull it backward off the trail. It didn't really want to budge. I click into 4wd and reverse and tried to pull it backward in reverse. I didn't slam it or anything, very gentle steady pull. After tugging on it for a few seconds I heard a pop or crack noise and immediately backed off. Nothing started grinding or anything of that sort, just 1 pop and nothing else. It came from the front of the machine.

I rode another 7 or 10 miles over the rest of the weekend and didn't notice any other issues. Afaik the 4wd functions fine and I haven't had any other noises. The winch cable did have a kink in it after I unhooked it.

Is there something I should be concerned with checking? Is it possible it was a noise generated by the winch? I'm still planning on doing a fluid change soon, however it got pushed back a few weeks because I'm pouring a concrete floor in my garage. Hooray for no more working in gravel. I will definitely be checking for chunks, but will probably be trying to ride more before I get to it.

Thanks,
    Jake
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    sounds like the winch cable bound (or unbound) and that is where the 'pop' came from

Have had that happen on flatbed tow trucks....
    mtgott and ndlsjk like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    802 times
    If the winch can't pull it with the machine anchored then it's probably to big of a load. If you pull with machine in gear there's a real possibility of hurting the transaxle or front diff. These machines have some very small or weak parts that are made to handle just there own load no added stresses.
    ndlsjk, Dean and Ron380 like this.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I was kind of under the assumption the axles were the engineered weak point since they are easier/cheaper to replace than the diff/transaxle, and you hear about people blowing axles on SxS frequently. I know it's on wheels but the machine is rated to pull a trailer with like 1500 or 2000 lbs. as well. When I did it I was going easy on the throttle and since it was in reverse the limiter wouldn't let it rev real high anyway, prolly only got to 3000ish rpm tbh.

I'll definitely not be pulling trees again because I had those exact thoughts running through my head: "Maybe the front diff blew." Seems fine though, going to hopefully get out for a ride on Sunday.
    Last edited by ndlsjk; 06-25-2019 at 07:32 AM.
    Sak kitty likes this.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Member #
    Liked
    379 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sak kitty View Post
    If the winch can't pull it with the machine anchored then it's probably to big of a load. If you pull with machine in gear there's a real possibility of hurting the transaxle or front diff. These machines have some very small or weak parts that are made to handle just there own load no added stresses.
    Not to mention the piss poor reverse chain / sprocket system. Been damaged without any additional loads... i wouldn't reverse pull anything just to be safe.
    Sak kitty and ndlsjk like this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Sponsored Links