Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ndlsjk
  • 1 Post By lugnut

Thread: Very stiff shifting between gears, sometimes

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Very stiff shifting between gears, sometimes

New 2019. 88mi on it now. great fun to play with. Changing fluids this weekend.

A periodic problem has shown it's head, where it is extremely hard to shift out of reverse and requires 'bumping' the throttle to lurch the vehicle allowing the shifter to move.

This the dreaded clutch issue I've seen some threads about? Is there anything I can do while checking things out this weekend to improve things?

Inquiring minds and all...

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    You can try to turn the machine off when it is stuck and wait a minute or 2 then try shifting before starting it again. If it shifts smooth when turned off I'd start thinking it was the clutch sticking.
    theToucan likes this.
    2014 Wildcat Trail with DIY 1/8" Lexan door inserts, Spark plug cover vents, SuperATV 1/2 windshield, EMP aluminum roof, rearview mirror, 20" light bar, bed tie downs and dry box, 2500Lbs Warn winch, 27x9x12F 27x11x12R SunF Warrior tires, contemplating Bandit springs, harnesses

Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    Pretty tell tale sign is usually heat related shifting issue, no issue when cold. If it happens cold or hot, then shift cable issue maybe. Wouldn't expect a '19 to have the primary corrosion issue, but who knows...
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Did you figure it out yet? I had the same trouble this weekend, very hard to shift when hot.
    3" harness, safety bar, rock sliders, Dalton clutch kit upgrade, LED lights, soft top, half windshield, new winch, front and rear mud flap extensions, front and rear bumpers, new battery and fuel can mount

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    Did you figure it out yet? I had the same trouble this weekend, very hard to shift when hot.
    I have not yet. All available free time has been spent do major house projects (deferred maintenance/upgrades) and sticking to prior commitments made earlier in the year. When the weather turns for good the rig will make it to the shop for inspection/repair.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    You might try resetting your TPS. I had hard shifting issues within the first hundred miles and a TPS reset fixed it. I found the information on how to reset the TPS on here somewhere.
    2016 Trail SE Camo/Orange. A/C Tilt out windshield & camo soft top, Dragonfire harness bar, dirtspecialties harnesses.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I fixed my shifting problem when hot. I was told that low milage units often have a sticking problem in the primary. I took the end cap off, polished the slides where the weights move in and out and reinstalled and no longer have the problem shifting when normal running temps are reached. My dealer told me i need a new clutch assembly and it was 570.00 but how can that be possible when i have only 356 miles on a 2016? Hope this helps out.
    Sak kitty likes this.
    3" harness, safety bar, rock sliders, Dalton clutch kit upgrade, LED lights, soft top, half windshield, new winch, front and rear mud flap extensions, front and rear bumpers, new battery and fuel can mount

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    Sometimes cleaning and some polishing does the trick other times it does not and requires a new primary.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)