Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Odfldavid
  • 3 Post By Sak kitty
  • 3 Post By Pilcher
  • 1 Post By Pilcher

Thread: 2016 Sport Primary on 2014 trail XT

Member #

2016 Sport Primary on 2014 trail XT

New member here with a 2014 Trail XT. Bought new at the end of 2015 and only able to get 350 miles on it since . After lurking around here for a while trying to figure out why my clutch doesn't disengage therefore preventing me from shifting, I have come to the conclusion that i need a new primary clutch. I want to make sure i get an updated primary and was wondering if any knows if the primary for the sport (part # 0823-553) will work in my trail or do i need to stick with the one for it (part # 0823-376)

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I think my part # is 0823 452 on the primary. MFG date is July 2018.
    It took awhile to get it right. Dealer fought me on replacing the so called updated one that AC put on as a recall fix.
    That one didn't change the shifting problem at all. The one on it now works fine.
    Dean likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    Sport primary will work, your trail came with 53gram weights the sport clutch has 50 or 51 gram weights in it. I've interchanged the clutches on these machines the primary's are the same except for the fly weights. You'll get a few more rpm at full throttle you can even add a speedwerx secondary spring and get a good bang for the buck. Poor mans performance kit for the trails I've worked on is sport flyweights, speedwerx secondary spring, and gut the cat out of the muffler. Spend less than 100$ and your Saturday and woop on your buddy's machine on Sunday .
    Dean, mtgott and Adirondack Man like this.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Before you waste your money take a look at the facebook group. You have to sand the clutch where it slides... simple fix I did 180 grit then 320 grit. I broke 3 shifter cables spent $175 before buying the $50 epi clutch puller and $10 T60 torx socket to fix this. It will fix it most likely... once you take it apart (you have to take 6 bolts and spring off primary) sand it until you can pick it up and have it drop down by itself with no stopping. It took me about 10 minute of sanding/testing/small breaks. Then throw it back in wallah.. you saved yourself $500. At bottom I'll link a video which shows you how to take off the primary.

to remove primary watch from start until 7 minute mark.
    Last edited by Pilcher; 08-12-2019 at 10:44 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    408 times
    I'm surprised the sticking is in the towers & not the centre bushing but I've not had the problem to have to work on it!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    People have had the bushings freeze up on them so please check that first. In the video posted above at mark 17:30 you can see how easy the clutch slides against the walls. Mine was sticking at quarter, half and everywhere. So grind the area checking every so often that you don't grind off too much until it slides smooth all the way. At 17:45ish they show you the 2 way bearing. If your machine has some miles on it some people have had dirt and stuff get in there.

Soak the clutch up in a bucket of water and air blast it out of there a few times. It may free your bearing, it may not. But its worth trying. Working on cars for years there is a reason you DIAGNOSE instead of just throwing money at the problem
    Sak kitty likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    784 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilcher View Post
    People have had the bushings freeze up on them so please check that first. In the video posted above at mark 17:30 you can see how easy the clutch slides against the walls. Mine was sticking at quarter, half and everywhere. So grind the area checking every so often that you don't grind off too much until it slides smooth all the way. At 17:45ish they show you the 2 way bearing. If your machine has some miles on it some people have had dirt and stuff get in there.

Soak the clutch up in a bucket of water and air blast it out of there a few times. It may free your bearing, it may not. But its worth trying. Working on cars for years there is a reason you DIAGNOSE instead of just throwing money at the problem
    Do you take the center nut off to disassemble the two halves? If so what is the torque to put it back together?
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    I did file the areas in question but since i didn't have a puller i couldn't get the entire area. The 2 way bearing spins freely so I think i will order a puller and grind\file down the entire slide area. Thanks everyone for the response and advice. I will post again to let everyone know the results, probably a week or 2 by the time i get a puller and do it.
    Name:  Wildcat.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  3.69 MB

Sponsored Links