Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sak kitty
  • 1 Post By Tanker_01

Thread: Broke rear arm tabs off at knuckle

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Broke rear arm tabs off at knuckle

Well I sent it too hard this weekend and broke my right rear lower arm tabs off at the knuckle. Anybody have any pics of the best way to beef these up?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    800 times
    How about a picture.
    mtgott likes this.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Pics below. I am making a gusset kit to beef up the tabs and the lower arm in general to keep this from happening again. I will also be using stronger bolts and locktite... After further inspection it seems this issue was caused by a nut/bolt coming a little loose and it allowed the knuckle to wallow out the holes in the tabs and eventually with a little bit of deflection backing up a hill it gave out.
    Name:  IMG_20190817_125912741.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  2.15 MBName:  IMG_20190817_125909234.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  2.78 MB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    800 times
    Get a new a arm or used one from somebody that has put aftermarket ones on and beef them up from there.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    390 times
    How were the bushings? How are your other bushings? If those are worn that will allow the holes to wallow out.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I have a used arm to swap onto it. I think I am just going to try to beef up that tab area by welding thicker tabs outside and then using longer bolts. The bushings were all fine, they had been replaced with delrin ones. The bolt out at the knuckle was worn way down so I think what happened is that bolt loosened and wore itself and the tab down enough to allow enough deflection to break them off somehow. Still a weird break though, nothing else was damaged literally only the tabs on the lower arm. once it was strapped up it drove back to the trailer just fine.
    Sak kitty likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I have broken 2 right rear a arms almost the same as yours only mine are breaking a little further up on the weld & kinda in a C shape, to the point now that every other weekend I’m pulling the wheel off so I can take the nut off at the knuckle to make sure the hole is not ovaling out (I should buy stock in loctite) would love to see pics of what you do exactly to beef them up, before I buy an extra a arm to carry around, last one broke 35 miles away from home out in the woods all by myself... not a good time

Member #
    Broke tabs right rear on my 14 awhile ago welded back on with gussets.Been out a few times looks good i ride the machine pretty hard 4500kms.They broke clean no twisting easy to fit back on,only thing i could see was my tubes were seized in after market bushing.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Name:  IMG_20190904_113336692.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  2.00 MB
    This is what I have. We will see how it goes. I am going to need to use 10mm longer bolts but this should prevent the holes from wallowing out anymore.
    Last edited by Tanker_01; 09-04-2019 at 10:35 AM.

oly
    Member #
    are there any after market rear a-arms for the wildcat? i have the same issue with my wifes trail. broke in the same place. i would love to have something stronger. any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    are there any after market rear a-arms for the wildcat? i have the same issue with my wifes trail. broke in the same place. i would love to have something stronger. any suggestions?
    Weld on beef up plates like I did. It was cheap and easy and there is no way those are breaking like that again.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker_01 View Post
    Name:  IMG_20190904_113336692.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  2.00 MB
    This is what I have. We will see how it goes. I am going to need to use 10mm longer bolts but this should prevent the holes from wallowing out anymore.
    Tanker, I think you should start producing those, I'll take some....

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdrmax007 View Post
    Tanker, I think you should start producing those, I'll take some....
    I wish I could but I designed them at work during break so I dont think I am allowed to produce them myself, theres some weird rules for Engineering intellectual property. Im suprised there isn't any bigger aftermarket manufacturer making weld-ins for machines, not just ours but all machines. I had my front frame tabs break off and I made myself a little weld in gusset set based off the SATV one and it worked great. With those two issues resolved I should be good for a while now or at least until my rear uppers break. And for those it will just be the same gusset as I did on the rear lowers since its the same width. I will probably just do those anyways to make sure they arent an issue in the future. Or I can just nut up and buy the sport conversion...

Sponsored Links