Loading into a 6.5' Box, with a riser, able to tow a trailer?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Loading into a 6.5' Box, with a riser, able to tow a trailer?

Member #

Loading into a 6.5' Box, with a riser, able to tow a trailer?

Hi There,

New to the forum here, apologies if this has been covered in the past I didn't see anything when I searched.

Looking to pick up a 19 Trail XT from my dealer in Alberta here, I am wondering if anyone has any experience with putting these in a 6.5' box, on a riser?

I've got a 2015 2500 Duramax, that I use to tow, would really like to be able to put this in the box and still tow my trailer behind. For that to happen I cant have my tailgate down, I was hoping that Reversed onto these risers, with the tailgate off it would sit either still in the bed, or just hanging off. I figured that reversed up would be the best way for the weight situation.

I have thought about the extensions for the trailer, but being its around 6500# with a fair amount of tongue weight (2x6V Deep Cycles and 60# of propane) i'm not super excited about using them.

Pics of the riser I was looking at and my current setup, Bonus points to anyone who knows what kind of bike is in the box

Name:  8865115.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  140.0 KBName:  20190418_092116.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  243.5 KB

Member #
    Liked
    389 times
    Those risers won't get you enough-for short quads. I have been looking at options same idea. Either need a top deck like sleds that overhangs the back or a missile launcher type. Wheelbase and oal are too much compared to the stubby razrs.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 TRAIL XT
    AC FRT BUMPER/AC HALF WINDSHIELD/LOWER DOOR EXTENSIONS/DIRECTION 2 ROOF
    SOFT BACK PANEL/PRP 4.2 HARNESSES/DF HARNESS BAR/CIPA SIDE MIRRORS/KOLPIN SAW PRESS
    BMP SLIP ON MUFFLER & SPARK ARRESTER/R2C AIR FILTER/SPEED WERX H5 SECONDARY SPRING & THROTTLE SPRING
    SAK PARK BRAKE/REMINGTON 14X7 RTC WHEELS/ 28X10-14 CST CLINCHER RADIALS/VIPAIR FLARES WITH DIY EXTENSIONS
    SUPERWINCH LT3000 W. ROPE/12" DOUBLE ROW LED BAR/PLANO 1719 TOTE/BANDIT175/200 SPRINGS

Member #
    Liked
    578 times
    Two quick Google searches indicate you are dealing with 106" of wheelbase and tire even if the Trail had zero overhang front and rear. That's going to be hard to shoehorn into a 78" box. You'll need a rack that puts the front wheels on top of the cab.
    mtgott likes this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    807 times
    Fat cat
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    mtgott likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    519 times
    Pythagorean Theorem says no and that you would need the riser to be ~78 inches tall to make it fit in the bed. Of course there are a lot of other factors to impact this but that is a rough idea. You're going to need to go over the top of the cab a bit, which shouldn't be a big deal in a light Trail and a 2500 truck.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 99
Size:  13.2 KB
    2016 Wildcat X
    SidexSideAudio System
    Dragonfire Harness Bar
    PRP Harnesses
    AC Rock Sliders
    AC Soft Top
    Bad Dawg Box
    Highlifter Radius Rods
    D & P Performance Tie Rods
    AJ's Tub Guards
    30X10X14 Carnivores
    12MM Studs
    EMP Side Mirrors
    Much much more to come..

Started emptying my wallet with a 2014 Trail.

Member #
    Liked
    3026 times
    Math strikes again

Here is the mother of all bed rack builds:

https://www.wildcatforums.net/forum/...tie-downs.html
    mtgott likes this.
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    this is what I did to my trailer. I moved the tongue jack back so the tail gate can be in the down position than you can just put your cat in the box. Name:  20170612_153002.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  1.88 MB
    Dean likes this.
    2013 x 1000 AC hard top, aj's mud flaps, removable winch front to rear, ac cargo cover, 3 receiver hitches, self made turn signal kit, horn ,cvt blower.harness bar and 4 point harness, AC tire rack ,

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    or you can make a tail gate with a v center so it swings around the jack Name:  20150912_190039.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  1.62 MBName:  20150912_190049.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.45 MB
    Dean and mbrandt1402 like this.
    2013 x 1000 AC hard top, aj's mud flaps, removable winch front to rear, ac cargo cover, 3 receiver hitches, self made turn signal kit, horn ,cvt blower.harness bar and 4 point harness, AC tire rack ,

Member #
    Thats interesting moving the jack backwards, I dont have a ton of room up there as it will hit the propane tanks but even a little bit of space could make a big difference. My issue with the V tailgate is I will still be hitting on turning, prob would need a combo of all of these.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Do you use a weight distributing hitch. It looked like you dont but. if you did it will put you ball back far enough for the v tail gate and the hitch will take some of the weight off the back of the truck and or give you room for tongue jack to be move back you would have to measure look at the picture it has a hitch on it. when I moved the jack back Iwas driving a gmc 2500
    Last edited by toyman; 10-15-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Here is another.
    http://toy-tote.com/?page_id=565
    Have you thought of going to a Toy-Hauler RV trailer?
    Main reason I will keep my toyhauler rv trailer, frees up the pickup bed for everything else.
    mtgott likes this.
    17' Limited Trail

STI Roctane Radial XD Tires - stock size
    Bandit 46 Series Shocks
    SATV Flip-up Windshield
    Tusk Soft Top/Rear Window
    Ricochet A/arm guards
    K-Aus Designworks Rad Guards
    Brake Reservoir Cover
    SAK Parking Brake
    AC Kick Panel Bags
    AC Mirror's
    Modified Spark Plug Cover with air vents
    Front sway-bar removed
    Muffler de-catted

Member #
    I dont use a weight distributing hitch. I had one when I used to tow with a 1500, but with the bigger truck it really doesn't seem to need it. Less swaying then I used to have and i'm not even close to the rear axle capacity. I have thought of a toy hauler, but unfortunately its just not in the cards to spend 30+k on a new trailer, and this vanguard has been an absolute beast.

Unfortunately it looks like I might have to be swayed to go the RZR route.... Which is unfortunate being I said I would never buy another Polaris as long as I lived, and is 5k more expensive in my area.

Member #
    Liked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by blubbles View Post
    I dont use a weight distributing hitch. I had one when I used to tow with a 1500, but with the bigger truck it really doesn't seem to need it. Less swaying then I used to have and i'm not even close to the rear axle capacity. I have thought of a toy hauler, but unfortunately its just not in the cards to spend 30+k on a new trailer, and this vanguard has been an absolute beast.

Unfortunately it looks like I might have to be swayed to go the RZR route.... Which is unfortunate being I said I would never buy another Polaris as long as I lived, and is 5k more expensive in my area.
    Not sure I understand the Rzr route. It's not going to fit in a 6.5' bed without a rack either, so I don't get what you'd gain.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    The RZR's center of wheel to center of wheel is just over 6" less when measured. Just means it will fit better then the wildcat unfortunately. Im going to need a rack regardless I believe, its just how far they stick out afterwards.
    Last edited by blubbles; 10-21-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links