Exhaust Heat shielding and wrapping
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Exhaust Heat shielding and wrapping

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Exhaust Heat shielding and wrapping

Ceramic painted and Heat wrapped my exhaust. The old heat shield was rattling and melting my firewall so I went ahead and removed it and instead of paying $80 for the new style I bought $20 in paint and wrap tape and came up with this. Wire wheeled the header and muffler down and put a coat of ceramic paint on them then used the fiberglass wrap (non-titanium as you are not supposed to use the titanium type with ceramic paint) Also added more fiberglass heat shielding on the firewall as well. Will update on how this works.
    Name:  IMG_20200105_160549466.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  2.19 MB
    Name:  IMG_20200105_160604923.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.95 MB

Protip for wrapping: Soak the wrap in water for about an hour before wrapping it onto the header. This makes it easier to stretch it nice and tight onto the pipes.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    809 times
    Have you drilled the cat out of your muffler? That will help you with heat also.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I want to see how much of a difference this makes first just for a comparison. I do plan to cut the muffler open and completely remove the cat sometime soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    If your machine has not had the new heat shield and firewall update, the dealer will complete that for free. It is a recall, the deal has to fix it even if the warranty is expired.
    2014 Wildcat Trail XT Black

Built - DIY Gutted Muff, DIY Master Cylinder Guard, DIY Radiator Scoops, DIY Rock Sliders, Aluminum Roof Powder Coated, Grenade Shifter, Seat Moved Back 1.5" Extra,

Bought - Speed Werx Spring, AC Short Windscreen, AC Kick Panel Bags, AC Under Hood Storage, Tusk Shoulder Bag, 3500 Super Winch, 30" LED Light Bar, 27x9 OG Bighorns, Green LED Interior Lights, 1.5" Spacers In Front, 2" In Rear,

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I am aware of the recall. I don't have a dealer a reasonable distance from me that I would trust and I prefer to work on my own machines. Not that I don't like dealer mechanics but I don't trust dealer mechanics. Personal preference.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    how do you cut the cat out?

Member #
    Liked
    399 times
    Thanks for the reminder! I've got the header off already on one of my machines to fix a water pump issue. Now's the perfect time to wrap it up.
    Tanker_01 likes this.
    2015 - Wildcat Trail - Lime Green - WOTM Oct 2017
    Tusk soft top | Tusk center bag | Superwinch Terra35 winch | NiLight 32" LED light bar | Tusk Rzr overhead bag with flipdown map pocket (and homemade PVC | frame to make it fit the cat) | Kodiak Mfg rear rack | Rotopax and Expedition One fuel/ water cans | Journey P350 tires (stock size) | Bandit Springs (heavy) | Speedwerx secondary spring | Speedwerx throttle spring | Tusk UTV Jack and Mount | SAK Parking Brake | Tusk UTV Fire Extinguisher Mount/ Fire Extinguisher | Ampper rock lights | Ampper rock lights as dome lights (red/ white) | Bluesea 12 circuit fuse panel | Homemade chainsaw mount | Dragon Gunner Brake Reservoir Cover | 1/2" UHMW skid plates | Garage Products Bushings w/ zerk fitting mod | Car seat latch system mod |

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    You can do it the lazy and sometimes ineffective way of trying to drill it out without cutting the muffler can apart or you can cut the weld seam on the end of the muffler and physically cut the whole cat out then weld the can back together. I plan to do the full removal method. People have had success with just drilling it out from the outside but the cut and weld method is much cleaner.
    Sak kitty likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    432 times
    Removing the Cat by drilling it out is neither ineffective nor the lazy way, it's a chore that requires lots of drilling & breaking it up with a long chisel or screwdriver, not everybody has the skills and/or equipment to cut & re-weld the muffler. If & when I do remove the Cat from my Sport I'll probably do it that way again although I may change my mind & try the cut & weld method.
    Sak kitty likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    809 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanker_01 View Post
    I am aware of the recall. I don't have a dealer a reasonable distance from me that I would trust and I prefer to work on my own machines. Not that I don't like dealer mechanics but I don't trust dealer mechanics. Personal preference.
    I made sure my dealer had the updated firewall, I removed mine and traded him for the new one and I installed it. His mechanic flagged the time for the install. Lots more room around the header. The dealer has to cut off a certain chunk of the old one and send it in for warranty. Building a relationship with a dealer allows some of us to do these kind of things.
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    By drilling the cat out will that make the machine louder?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Id still say its lazy considering you're possibly then letting broken pieces of cat rattle around inside your muffler until they turn to dust or get stuck somewhere. Much cleaner to just cut and weld it up. even if you dont have welding capability its still cleaner/better to cut it open, cut the cat out, then bring it to a muffler shop and slip them a $20 to weld it back up for you. Its not only less work to cut/weld but also prevents rattling or further issues.

Its effective for sure and it works but its still lazy. Do it the right way the first time and you'll have less issues.
    Last edited by Tanker_01; 01-09-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    I didn't consider just calling and swapping my firewall out with the updated one. I may call my local Tracker dealer and see if they can swap it out for me. I still have the firewall out while I am rerouting my intakes so I have time to swap it still. Did you need to provide them with proof that the machine is yours or anything?

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mac23wildcat View Post
    By drilling the cat out will that make the machine louder?
    Allegedly it doesn't change the sound much, just a little more throaty. However I would rather have less cab heat not to mention 2-3 more hp and faster throttle response and be a little bit louder as a result.
    Sak kitty likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I had a hmf pipe on before. The riders behind me hated it because it was to loud
    So im hopeing this wont be a loud
    Sak kitty likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links