Leaks caused by pressure
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mbrandt1402

Thread: Leaks caused by pressure

Member #
    Liked
    119 times

Leaks caused by pressure

I developed some leaks which I believe are pressure related. I have a 14x with 3700 miles and has never leaked until now and no it was not over filled with oil. It's leaking from the front of the pan gasket above the oil filter. When I went to clean the area to apply some flex seal to try and stop the leak, I noticed about a 2" piece of gasket (appeared to be rubber) pushed out. I also had oil around the vent hose that comes out of the rear cylinder, all hoses attached to the oil separator and some oil in the air box. My thinking is the check valve in the hose going from the oil separator to the top of the case is stuck which allows the separator to fill with oil and cause pressure. I've read several posts about different ways to vent the crankcase better, such as thicker longer hoses, catch cans etc. What I plan to do is replace the check valve and add a catch can/oil separator. The catch can has an inlet line, outlet line, drain line and air filter. So my plan is to attach the hose from the rear cylinder to the inlet the hose going to the airbox attached to the outlet and the hose coming out of the top of the case attached to the drain line in the catch can with an inline check valve. Does this sound right and would this setup be any better than stock or should I just replace the check valve and be done with it?
    2014 X Limited blk
    Harness Bar
    4 point TSI Harnesses
    30" Light Bar
    V Bar
    Headache Bars
    30x10 14 Mongrels
    Dalton Clutch Kit
    Pace 12mm wheel studs
    UTV Grab Bar
    AJ's bushings
    Trinity Dual Exhaust
    Trinity fuel controller

Member #
    Liked
    471 times
    I've not ever had any long-term success stopping an oil leak from the outside of any device. That "rubber" that was pushed out is RTV silicone (there is no gasket), so there is now a tiny gap where that RTV had previously been applied. Removing and re-sealing the crankcase isn't a terrible job, once the engine is out of the chassis. Doing that will not change any gear lash or require any other adjustments. Just remove, clean the sealing surfaces aggressively and re-seal.

How is your compression? If the real issue is excessive blow-by due to worn rings, a catch can is just going to be lipstick on a pig. That might be all you need if you are taking the pig to market soon (trading your 14X in on something newer), but if you intend to keep it, it might be better to understand why you now have oil in the air box.
    wayfer and mtgott like this.
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    119 times
    I was hoping not to pull the motor to reseal. I've read on here that a few people have had some success stopping the oil leak by using flex seal or RTV applied from the outside. I know this is just temporary but I figured if I could reduce the pressure it might get me by another season. I will check the compression to see if excessive blow by is causing the increase in pressure.
    2014 X Limited blk
    Harness Bar
    4 point TSI Harnesses
    30" Light Bar
    V Bar
    Headache Bars
    30x10 14 Mongrels
    Dalton Clutch Kit
    Pace 12mm wheel studs
    UTV Grab Bar
    AJ's bushings
    Trinity Dual Exhaust
    Trinity fuel controller

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    I just went through this with a 2014 team clutched cat. It had the same oil leak at the seam just above the starter. I tightened, snugged up all bolts around this area. Dropped the oil, removed the starter. Cleaned motor with engine degreaser then acetone. Scotch brite and scoured the aluminum case with a oscillating vibrating tool. Cleaned again with acetone then applied 3M fast set polyurethane smearing into the scarred surface. So far holding up. I expect it to fail at some point, but its nice to see a clean motor after a ride. Cheers. Paul

Sponsored Links