Ball joints beware!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Ball joints beware!

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Ball joints beware!

Replaced upper aarm ball joints with the gold body black stem ones from ebay....dont buy these. One snapped and other was bent over ready to go, only about 120 miles on them.
    First ball joint is original, second is junk Ebay gold body black stem, third and forth are 4130 American Star. The original and American Star are almost identical in construction.
    Ball joint stem at thinnest point on second junk one is 9.97mm. Original one is 11.42mm and 4130 American Star is at 11.58mm.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Thanks for sharing!
    2015 Wildcat 1000X Ltd, Textron rear axle upgrade, Alba slotted brake rotors (front diameter on all 4), flip-up windshield, soft rear window, PRP seats, custom seat mounts with tool storage, 6 pt harnesses, AC spare tire mount, AC step rail/sliders, push-button E-brake, self-cancelling turn signals using rear brake lights, stalk light controls, 4"x7" rearview mirrors, front/rear hitch receivers, receiver mounted winch w/ wireless remote, LED roof light, Rugged intercom & headsets

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Here's another shot, ball sits low in junk bj. and range is limited which caused front CV joint failure at time of bj failure.
    Had to improvise with a 21mm socket, screw, nut and washers to get out of difficult boulder section. Will carry a spare now.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I am changing mine this weekend. I bought (ALL BALLS RACING) ball joints. I hope they are quality ones.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnrexco View Post
    I am changing mine this weekend. I bought (ALL BALLS RACING) ball joints. I hope they are quality ones.

The all balls ball joints look like the junk ones I'm warning about.... the junk ones i bought came from atvpartsconnection and looked like the all balls. Since you bought them, pull the boot and check but I wouldn't use them if they are the junk ones. American Star 4130 ball joints are almost identical to the original AC ball joints and have the pivot range necessary.

Member #
    Liked
    2960 times
    ^^ Keep us updated on how they work out if you would
    Last edited by Black Cat; 06-06-2019 at 11:57 PM.
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rsx View Post
    The all balls ball joints look like the junk ones I'm warning about.... the junk ones i bought came from atvpartsconnection and looked like the all balls. Since you bought them, pull the boot and check but I wouldn't use them if they are the junk ones. American Star 4130 ball joints are almost identical to the original AC ball joints and have the pivot range necessary.
    Thank you for the heads up. I pulled the boot back and they are the GARBAGE type. They look just like the bent Chinese ones in your picture. I am send back. Got mine from Summit Racing.
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    I bought factory ones from Rocky Mountain and pushed it pretty hard last ride. They seem to be good. Remember to use green loctite on install
    2016 Trail Limited
    Super ATV flip-up windshield
    Quadra gear convertible roof
    Quadra gear upper door panels
    30" super led light bar
    6" super led light bar rear
    AC center console bag
    Fender flares
    (4) 28"x10"x12" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0
    Warn winch
    AC front and rear bumpers
    AC rock sliders
    72" Click and Go 2 plow system

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
    Will do... . Now need to do some wheelin..
    Black Cat likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhammond View Post
    I bought factory ones from Rocky Mountain and pushed it pretty hard last ride. They seem to be good. Remember to use green loctite on install
    I used red loctite...if balljoint fits a little loose, here's what I did to a couple of ball joint boss's to get the tight interference fit.
    izom, mrhammond and mbrandt1402 like this.

Member #
    Got the deed done, I bought the American Star 4130 and they look much better that the All Balls Racing (Chinese) ball joints. Upper's were easy.. Lower's were a lot more difficult. Tough to get past the axel. I have a couple questions for you experts out there. I had a couple of them that just fell in the hole. So I did a little center punch knurling. First one I did I had trouble pressing the new one in and did not like pressing very hard on the stem. I put a socket on the boot and screwed it up pretty bad. What is the right way or tool to use?

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Ball joints have minimal grease when new, so after install I used a grease injection needle and added a couple pumps..

Member #
    Liked
    2960 times
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnrexco View Post
    First one I did I had trouble pressing the new one in and did not like pressing very hard on the stem. I put a socket on the boot and screwed it up pretty bad. What is the right way or tool to use?
    Remove the boot / press in / re-install the boot
    2012 Black Cat / 2013 Red Ltd. - Same mods on both machines

4 Channel Wireless Steering Wheel Buttons (Post 27)

Dual Bats w / Smart Relay, Custom Bumpers w/ Warn RT40 winch /RR 660 Intercom / Yaesu 75W Radio/ Steering Mod / Cat Eyes
    Lowrance Elite 7m Chart-Plotter Mtd In Dash / Gauge Mtd On Steering Column / Pro Armor Doors / 12 MM Studs / 3" 5 Pts

The Shiny Keg Plazma Kutter

Went To Market: 2011 CowMander

Member #
    Remove the boot / press in / re-install the boot
    That is what I did on the second one. getting that spring ring back on is all but impossible without the proper tool.
    RSX, where did you get that needle for your grease gun?

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    O'Reilly's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links