Limiting straps?? Yah or nah
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Limiting straps?? Yah or nah

Member #
    Liked
    69 times

Limiting straps?? Yah or nah

Today I ran into a limiting strap kit for the XX. It's made by sandcraft rcr. Not sure if they think this is a fix for axle problem or if it is a precaution to keep stress off shock. But aren't these shocks made to limit the travel?

Figured I'd pick some brains.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    nah shocks control it

Member #
    Liked
    463 times
    I dont know... but interesting some do use them..would be nice for someone with the knowledge to chime in on this

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1025 times
    The only time it is needed is when the shocks aren't internally limited and the arm can over travel to pop the axle out - it all goes back to the arm alignment and keeping the axle in.

If you jack the car up let the suspension go full droop and pull on the axle it will pop out if the arm is incorrectly aligned because the arm is pulling the axle past plunge.
    SpeedcatXX likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1086 times
    For the average SxS guy their of little benefit, limit straps are generally considered an insurance policy in the event a shocks internal limits are stressed to the point that they could fail. Heavy trucks and buggies that are subjected to fast full travel suspension movements create a lot of heat in the shocks, that heat if it's extreme can cause shocks to fade and/or fail, if the shock fails it's internal limits can be subject to continued pounding to the point of failure. If a shock's internal limits fail and the shock comes apart then the whole suspension is at risk, cv's exceed their angular limits, brake lines could fail, a-arms fail, steering components fail etc etc. With limit straps if the shock does fail you'll obviously has handling issues but a least that expensive suspension will live to see another day.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    If you run alot of preload in your springs then yes you may want to invest in limit straps as high preload will over come any amount of rebound damping and top out the shock, otherwise they are not necessary.

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Good info guys. Thanks for the response. Was just curious while we are talking about suspension. Has anyone adjusted crossover and found s good combo for setting. I was running medium front and firn rear but it seemed like it wanted to buck alot. I went medium both front and rear and it's better but feels like it wants to bottom out at times when driving it hard.

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    i also run mine on med. front and rear

Member #
    Liked
    463 times
    good intel gents
    TY

Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Has anyone had had their shocks revalved/sprung yet. Or messed with them much. Or even found a good standard for the crossover and ride height settings?

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    One other thing limit straps do is act like a "shock" for the shock. When the suspension fully extends in a jump or something the shocks top out pretty hard. Limit straps are pretty stretchy and act like a bump stop for the shock when it extends. It's not a big deal but you can feel the difference if they are set right.

For the crossovers, the XX I got to spend a little time with needed the crossovers moved down about a 1/4". Originally the ride was awesome but it was pretty easy to bottom out. A small adjustment on the crossovers to close the gap a little brought in the lower spring sooner and slowed the bottom out tendency without really changing the ride quality. For anyone reading this that doesn't know what the crossover is, it is the two nuts jammed together on the shock body above the bottom spring.

I don't know how consistent the factory shock settings are but if you have a big gap between the spring spacer and the lock nuts at ride height then you may want to close that gap a little. A little goes a long way. 1/8" at a time is a good way to test.

Just for reference the one I worked on had a little over 1/2" gap at ride height and we ended up with a little over 1/4". New XX with new springs so it probably will need to be adjusted again when everything settles
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamacat 12 View Post
    nah shocks control it
    Lifting my front end to change out tires bottom a-arms have about 1/2” spacing between arm and a-arm mounts/frame. Yet you can see where bottom a-arms hit the mount, it has at least cut through the paint. So the internal bump stop/limiter has some give where arms will drop and hit the frame.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Member #
    Liked
    483 times
    uhmm think i'll have a look at mine

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Just checked my front A arms, drivers side okay but the passengers side is touching the mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    121 times
    that is why i run them on my xx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links