RG 4xx out yet - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: RG 4xx out yet

Member #
    Liked
    971 times
    what after market control on these machines are you guys keep talking about? the rear arm? a couple other parts? Ive had no problem buying any aftermarket stuff for my rigs, tires, wheels, light bar, seats, radio, tie rods, shocks, cage, mirrors,belts, harness, switches,bumpers,winch,wraps, axles are or have been made by other vendors, all I see is the rear arms, which can be made/improved by anyone, just change the design as per your thoughts why yours is better as said by some from the RG camp..all I see is theres something going on with the reason why the 4 xx hasn't been released, its been made for two years already..
    Jim45498 and Total Loss like this.
    18 XX Ltd Mystery Machine..
    18 XX green black
    14 120 zr
    12 M8 153

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWLR View Post
    If you run wide open for long enough the plastic water pump impeller will get hot enough to start spinning on the shaft. Some say it cracks and some say it just comes loose. It is the reason Dakar did not go well. They were swapping impellers the whole race. Most people will never run that hard for that long but most of the racers have seen the problem. It is the main reason XX's have not done well in desert racing. More than one company has made billet impellers to solve the problem but then they break the shaft. No one has figured it out yet. I think Max was going to run the XX in the 500 but he broke an impeller on the prerun
    Vulcanized hard rubber?
    I can see the billet unit breaking the shaft due to the weight spinning at the end of a small shaft- not sure on the bearing structure.

I remember having a rubber impeller on my outboard that I would change out every year.
    Surprised Yamaha didn't run these units wide open for hours with load to catch any of this type of gremlin.

Member #
    Liked
    1644 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim45498 View Post
    Why can't Arctic Cat just change the axle and arms on the suspension? That seems to be RG's patent
    I have been asking why can't AC just do many things back to well before you even joined this forum. Then I eventually saw the light and just gave up. With enough time, you may see the light too if you are open to it. The patents are far reaching, at least RG thinks so. I personally know of a really nice aftermarket front a arm and he threw a fit so the production stopped. Why make something you cannot sell, let alone get a lawsuit for?
    Nikal and sand shark like this.
    2015 July Wildcat of the Month

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    952 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikal View Post
    I wonder when that 5 years started? At concept or release? Because Robby said it took two years to design and develop the XX, then the release was delayed with the sale of Arctic Cat. Now the XX has been out for two fiscal years. (3 model years)

It would be interesting what control RG has on the patents he’s partnered on after the 5 years? Can he still stop others from building parts, or does he just get a royalty after his 5 year deal is over, if not extended.

Also when you look at the patents, Robby is one of several people listed on them. I wonder how that works as to who has control of them? Could Arctic Cat over rule Robby as they might hold a larger percentage of that Patent ownership?
    We will find out when the lawsuit is over.

The design patents might be good for 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedirt View Post
    Textron didn’t sign the contracts with bass pro shop with the intent of getting out of the business. when bass pro shop agreed to take on the tracker offroad line I’ll guarantee you they got significant commitment from Textron that’s going to prevent Textron from just dropping the offroad division. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Textron and Robby Gordon part ways with Textron building a completely new machine and cutting Robbie Gordon out of it and Robby Gordon would probably be happy with that. I seriously doubt Robby Gordon is incredibly happy with the way Textron has handled all of this.
    Ultimately I see Textron and Robby Gordon going their separate ways it wouldn’t surprise me if shutdown of production is to either start modifying or making a new sport side-by-side that Textron has full control over . I believe Robby Gordon has a right to be compensated for the development that he put into the wildcat XX but you have A giant company with a huge ego and a relatively small company specializes in off the road vehicle and I don’t believe that they will survive together. Unfortunately the Arctic cat dealer’s and those of us who purchased this machine probably gonna take huge it’s on the money we spent before this whole mess is straightened out

Member #
    Liked
    324 times
    Ultimately I see Textron and Robby Gordon going their separate ways it wouldn’t surprise me if shutdown of production is to either start modifying or making a new sport side-by-side that Textron has full control over . I believe Robby Gordon has a right to be compensated for the development that he put into the wildcat XX but you have A giant company with a huge ego and a relatively small company specializes in off the road vehicle and I don’t believe that they will survive together. Unfortunately the Arctic cat dealer’s and those of us who purchased this machine probably gonna take huge it’s on the money we spent before this whole mess is straightened out
    That is what it is looking like to me.
    So I will just have fun in the meantime.

Just hope I can get parts.
    My last car I built up within the first year of ownership and then just drove it for 9 more years and sold it cheap...looks to be the same here right now.
    We will see...guess I will just buy more parts now while I can get them...

Member #
    Liked
    952 times
    The best case scenario is Textron pays a chunk of money to RG for his patents and he releases them to Textron. RG has an interest in keeping the current design as he has an aftermarket company dedicated to it. They can then part ways and it is a win win for both and the consumer.

If Textron had the patents it will be better for the consumer. They could open the gates for the aftermarket companies to produce replacement parts without worry of a lawsuit. The problem still lies in the fact not many units have been sold and the aftermarket may never have an interest in the Wildcat XX. In my opinion Textron needs to release a 200hp - 210hp turbo model to re-generate interest in the Wildcat XX and get the aftermarket companies interested again.
    mgrotel likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1644 times
    Agreed SS. Hell, they could even put that powerful motor in the old wildcat X chassis with a few other upgrades like steering, tie rods, and a few others. There was nothing wrong with that chassis.
    2015 July Wildcat of the Month

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    If you put 200 hp in wildcat XX somebody would have to build a stout transaxle that would hold up to the power

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    What is different between the YZX water bump & the XX water pump? I have not heard of any water pump issues on the on the YZX. If there’s an issue Alba Motorsports would be on it.

Regarding the gearbox. Does anyone know exactly what the failure is? From seeing what Weddle has been sharing, much of it seems assembly related.
    Last edited by Nikal; 06-12-2019 at 01:32 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    952 times
    What is different between the YZX water bump & the XX water pump? I have not heard of any water pump issues on the on the YZX. If there’s an issue Alba Motorsports would be on it.

Regarding the gearbox. Does anyone know exactly what the failure is? From seeing what Weddle has been sharing, much of it seems assembly related.
    Weddle said small gears in it and only good for 500-600 race miles.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sand shark View Post
    Weddle said small gears in it and only good for 500-600 race miles.
    I thought I read that it was almost identical to the Polaris RZR gearbox that Team built for both vehicles. And that some parts were larger then Polaris? I wonder if building a gear out of better material would solve some of the issues, especially if they are smaller? Then again why would someone want to invest in a designing & building a better part for a limited amount of vehicles sold, and even smaller percentage that would even replace that part.

Member #
    Liked
    952 times
    I thought I read that it was almost identical to the Polaris RZR gearbox that Team built for both vehicles. And that some parts were larger then Polaris? I wonder if building a gear out of better material would solve some of the issues, especially if they are smaller? Then again why would someone want to invest in a designing & building a better part for a limited amount of vehicles sold, and even smaller percentage that would even replace that part.
    His post did say it is very similar to the Polaris gearbox. Must be the materials that Team Industries is using. The Polaris gearbox holds up to a lot of hp. It is what Biffle uses in his Z1 swap cars. The Polaris gearbox just used cheap bearing that tend to explode. My friend had both his 900 gearboxes go around 3700 miles. I got lucky with my XP1000, it never had an issue with front diff or gearbox.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links