"speed" clutch adjustment issues
    Member #

"speed" clutch adjustment issues

Anyone have the speed 32" clutch kit? I am having trouble finding the correct weight ratio for 27" tires and speeds tech support is virtually non existent.

I have installed both springs and the 2 stage helix that came with the kit.
    The arms have 4 holes for weights and call for a heal - tip placement of 2110 with each weight weighing 1.3 grams each(for 32" tires 5000' elevation or less) which gives me a peak RPM of 9200 - 9400.
    The arms are adjustable from no weight @55 grams to adding up to 12 weights for 71 grams.

I am racing at 2 different tracks. One is at about 4800' elevation and the other is at about 350' elevation.

When I was at the 4700' altitude track this weekend the best I could get was 8300 using a weight placement of 2310.
    I tried 3110, 3220, 2211, 3210 all kept me around the 8000 - 8100 range.
    I tried 2221 and that dropped me to around 7700.

I didn't have much time between heats to try more options and I also didn't know to take weight off at higher altitudes. I was going off of the information I have found online saying that you should add weights for smaller tires and take weight off the tip for higher RPM's.

All of the RPM's I am listing are from a rolling start of 10 mph and punching it. It then slowly climbs 200 - 300 more by the time I hit 60 mph

I also have the "SPEED" ECU flash and slip on exhaust.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    323 times
    You have their 32" clutch kit and your running 27'' tires? IMO not going to work going to need different arms.
    2018 GRN/BLK XX
    Speesdwerx Stage 2 Exterminator
    2014 Green X
    DragonFire twin pipes
    Dobeck Gen4 AFR
    ITP SS108
    DragonFire Flying V
    Speedwerx 105 BB
    FOX RC2's

Member #
    I switch back and forth between desert and short course. You think I need arms that weigh less than 55 grams?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Does anyone know how much the stock arms weigh?

BTP
    Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    The stock weights are DX6-55g but on a gran scale vary from 54 to 56 they are not super accurate.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I have the same kit. It’s awesome. Todd Romano said they run the magnetic weights at 2-1-1-0 for stock tires. That is from heal to toe on the clutch weight. I would start there and see where you are at. I have to much weight in mine and I’m gonna try that this week. Even with having to much weight and not reaching the optimal rpm it’s still better then stock. I emailed them and he emailed me right back so I don’t know how your having trouble contacting them.

Member #
    I am not having trouble contacting them. I am having trouble getting competent information. I have just about everything they sell installed on my ride. The suggested weight position for 32" tires when I bought the kit was 2221. They have since revised that to 2110 for 32" tires. Stock tires are 30" (conflicts with what you were told). When I talked to him last he suggested 2211 for 27" tires. But that was just a suggestion. I like Todd, he's is a great guy. But they need to hire some people for support of all the products they sell. I understand that I can keep switching the weights around until I find the right combination. I was hoping someone might have already been through this and could give me some insight for weight - tire size ratios and weight - altitude ratios.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazier View Post
    I am not having trouble contacting them. I am having trouble getting competent information. I have just about everything they sell installed on my ride. The suggested weight position for 32" tires when I bought the kit was 2221. They have since revised that to 2110 for 32" tires. Stock tires are 30" (conflicts with what you were told). When I talked to him last he suggested 2211 for 27" tires. But that was just a suggestion. I like Todd, he's is a great guy. But they need to hire some people for support of all the products they sell. I understand that I can keep switching the weights around until I find the right combination. I was hoping someone might have already been through this and could give me some insight for weight - tire size ratios and weight - altitude ratios.
    It’s 2221 for 32 tires and 2110 for stock 30 tires. I’m gonna try the 2110 this week. He probably doesn't know what exact weight for 27 tires because they probably never ran a tire that small on there cars. I would try 2110 to see where you rpms are at and adjust from there. Or start with 2100.

Member #
    Liked
    803 times
    I'm no clutch expert but I've done enough to understand the basics.

More weight = less RPM
    Less weight = more RPM
    weight on the tip engages faster to keep the RPM down during a launch
    weight on the heal keeps the RPM stable while the clutch shifts out

With this basic info and your description it sounds like you need less weight for altitude, not more.

If 2110 worked well at 350' then 4700' should be 2100, 2000, 1110, etc until you get where you want to be
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but have a lot of experience with CVT tuning. "Crawlr" is correct. I use parts of the SPEED kit and parts from the OEM. I live and ride at 6000'. If you need more RPM then you need to lose total weight on the primary counter weights. What you described as adjustments, would do very little for you. A good rule of thumb, is 1 gram of total weight equals about 100 rpm change. So if you need 500 RPM more than you are getting you need to drop about 5-6 grams, in total, from the counter weights. I would start with removing weight from the toe or as close as to the toe as possible. Remember, the increased primary spring tension is going to effect the engagement point and the top achievable rpm in combination with the weights. I would start at 2200. Hope this helps.

Member #

Not happy with the speed ss clutching set up

I have the speed ss clutch set up and removed it and went back to stock with a heavier secondary spring for the 32” tires. Runs perfect 9400 rpm @ 3000 ft +-. Speed SS has Too aggressive cut on the weights and the arms are offset , the weights actually are cheap metal and I had pieces come off ,stick to a hot belt and wrecked my sheaves on the primary and secondary. New stock clutches and a heavier spring problem solved, the guys at VENOM are great to deal with and know the Team clutch. I have their adjustable set up for lighter sand tires and the cut on the weights are mirror to stock with a custom cut secondary helix so it works well. This happened in 200 miles of tuning and after purchasing new clutches I am not willing to gamble with Speed Ss set up again.

Sponsored Links