Anyone have issues with the 2019 rear axles?
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By AZ52
  • 1 Post By Wildcat xx
  • 1 Post By AZ52
  • 1 Post By Crashly

Thread: Anyone have issues with the 2019 rear axles?

Member #
    Liked
    353 times

Anyone have issues with the 2019 rear axles?

The updated units with the 11 bellow boots.
    Deciding on whether or not to spend the BIG bucks on the RG axles or just buy 2 new rears for $350.
    Mine are ok so far (2018's)...except the inner right is starting to spew some grease- minor around the diff...don't see any holes- just seepage out of the boot band it seems...just want to upgrade and keep these original ones for spares.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
    The updated units with the 11 bellow boots.
    Deciding on whether or not to spend the BIG bucks on the RG axles or just buy 2 new rears for $350.
    Mine are ok so far (2018's)...except the inner right is starting to spew some grease- minor around the diff...don't see any holes- just seepage out of the boot band it seems...just want to upgrade and keep these original ones for spares.
    I also have an 18 XX. With all of the talk on the various sites about the axle problems, I became concerned as well. I have found that Textron is on the third version of the rear axles. The first upgrade to the second version was a change in the clip that holds the CV joint on the axle shaft. Apparently if you looked at a cross section of the first clip the outside edges were curved edges. They changed one of those edges to a square corner. So one was curved and one had a square edge. The only way you can tell is if you try and take the CV joint off the axle. The new clip really locks them in. Some of the 18 models already had the new clip. The third version has the new clip and the new 11 rib boot design. The axle shafts and CV joints are the same on all version.

With my concern I called over to Speed thinking that I could possibly get a good deal on some 19 take off axles from one of their cars. When I called over, Todd Romano answered the phone. (Very cool guy.) I had a long chat with him regarding the XX. We talked about the axles. He said that the XX had a 1% axle failure rate and the industry standard is at a 7% failure rate. He thought it was a waste of time to upgrade to the 19 model axles. He did not even recommend buying the updated boot kit which has the new clip and swap them out. He said the axle issue was way over blown on social media. He said most recreational riders will have no problem with the axles. They had some problems but it was different in their case he said because they run the cars at race pace, wide open all day, which put the abuse at a whole new level.

So I have decide to take his advise and not worry about it and drive it.
    Last edited by AZ52; 07-15-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Total Loss and Ragdoll XX like this.

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ52 View Post
    I also have an 18 XX. With all of the talk on the various sites about the axle problems, I became concerned as well. I have found that Textron is on the third version of the rear axles. The first upgrade to the second version was a change in the clip that holds the CV joint on the axle shaft. Apparently if you looked at a cross section of the first clip the outside edges were curved edges. They changed one of those edges to a square corner. So one was curved and one had a square edge. The only way you can tell is if you try and take the CV joint off the axle. The new clip really locks them in. Some of the 18 models already had the new clip. The third version has the new clip and the new 11 rib boot design. The axle shafts and CV joints are the same on all version.

With my concern I called over to Speed thinking that I could possibly get a good deal on some 19 take off axles from one of their cars. When I called over, Todd Romano answered the phone. (Very cool guy.) I had a long chat with him regarding the XX. We talked about the axles. He said that the XX had a 1% axle failure rate and the industry standard is at a 7% failure rate. He thought it was a waste of time to upgrade to the 19 model axles. He did not even recommend buying the updated boot kit which has the new clip and swap them out. He said the axle issue was way over blown on social media. He said most recreational riders will have no problem with the axles. They had some problems but it was different in their case he said because they run the cars at race pace, wide open all day, which put the abuse at a whole new level.

So I have decide to take his advise and not worry about it and drive it.
    I am looking for new ones and use my old ones as backups.
    If you unload the rear for full droop, look at the stretch of the inner boot- probably touching the cv balls...why they eventually wear through...Too much stretch.
    Main thing I want is a longer boot (19) ...I am not concerned with the cv itself...axles can break though....particularly in hard dune riding with the weight of these and large paddles

I will probably get 2 updated new units...it's only like $340 for 2- not a bad price for piece of mind and to not ruin a weekend. If I was racing...I would definitely go with the RG units.

Leaves more dinero for springs.
    I

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
    I am looking for new ones and use my old ones as backups.
    If you unload the rear for full droop, look at the stretch of the inner boot- probably touching the cv balls...why they eventually wear through...Too much stretch.
    Main thing I want is a longer boot (19) ...I am not concerned with the cv itself...axles can break though....particularly in hard dune riding with the weight of these and large paddles

I will probably get 2 updated new units...it's only like $340 for 2- not a bad price for piece of mind and to not ruin a weekend. If I was racing...I would definitely go with the RG units.

Leaves more dinero for springs.
    I
    When I installed the speed clutch kit on my xx I had to jack the machine up so the back axels would go to full droop or full extension. To take the shock off. I noticed the cv boot collapsed when I did that so I can see how the cv ball could take a bite out of the boots when they are over extended. But in order to expend the back axels to that point I had to disconnect it from the back sway bar. If the back seat bar remained attached I could extend the rear a arm far enough to get the shock out. So my question is for everyone if the sway bar is attached how is the back suspension ever extending to year up the boots. Are some of the guys that are having problems removing the suspension from the back sway bar?

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I'm running an XX limited. 2019. I ride quite hard at times. I've never had any issue whatsoever with the axles. Or CV joints.
    Total Loss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    I think the vendor that supplied the original boots may have had a problem with the run. I had a front outside boot fail at 40 miles and the other front outside boot failed at 80 miles. All on the same day. The two boots were replaced under warranty and 650 miles later, no problems. My friend bought a 18 XX and both front outer boots appeared split sitting in the showroom. The were replaced before he took delivery.
    Total Loss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I have a 18 and my axle failed shortly after the break in period. It was replaced under warranty with the 11 rib 2019 model. There was no way that I could reasonably trust the other one to last so I changed it out as well on my dime. So far both 19 axles have been spot on but I believe I have less than 10 hours on them. When I was at the dealer I noticed one new 19 car still on the floor with a 8 rib. I personally would not trust the 18 axles. A lot work, money and time go into a trip. I would switch them out to 19 axles without a second thought.
    Total Loss likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    353 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashly View Post
    I have a 18 and my axle failed shortly after the break in period. It was replaced under warranty with the 11 rib 2019 model. There was no way that I could reasonably trust the other one to last so I changed it out as well on my dime. So far both 19 axles have been spot on but I believe I have less than 10 hours on them. When I was at the dealer I noticed one new 19 car still on the floor with a 8 rib. I personally would not trust the 18 axles. A lot work, money and time go into a trip. I would switch them out to 19 axles without a second thought.
    Exactly what I am thinking...Put 19's on and keep the 18's for backups before they grenade.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Mine is a mid year 2018 production and zero issues. I'm not going to worry about it.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    You guys see the newest axles they came out with?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Great more boots to worry about wearing out.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Yet some people say there is no axles issues....what’s this version 4 in 15 months?

Sponsored Links