Stock XX dune performance?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Stock XX dune performance?

Member #

Stock XX dune performance?

Just wondering if anyone can chime in on how capable a stock XX is with a set of paddles... Will it make it up really big hills like olds, China wall, dumonts comp hill.. etc?

If so, what kind of speed can I expect to see climbing hills like that.

I'm on the fence between a 2020 XX or a RZR xp turbo s. I'm not going to be able to to do performance upgrades for this coming season, and possibly not the following.

I'm really just looking for some input on what to expect.. is it going to be a big disappointment in stock form in the dunes?

Thanks ahead of time for your response

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Quote Originally Posted by negatronix View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can chime in on how capable a stock XX is with a set of paddles... Will it make it up really big hills like olds, China wall, dumonts comp hill.. etc?

If so, what kind of speed can I expect to see climbing hills like that.

I'm on the fence between a 2020 XX or a RZR xp turbo s. I'm not going to be able to to do performance upgrades for this coming season, and possibly not the following.

I'm really just looking for some input on what to expect.. is it going to be a big disappointment in stock form in the dunes?

Thanks ahead of time for your response

If your primary purpose is dunes, I would get something with a turbo. Sand eats power, can never have enough.

There is a significant price difference between the Turbo S and the XX, which im sure you know, but you could dump a turbo on a XX and probably still be less than a new Turbo S....
    izom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3362 times
    I dune with a few and they climb Olds easily and China decently. I have 6000 miles in Glamis on a Wildcat X, although it does not do China. A turbo machine would be better, but you can have a good time there without one.
    izom, Total Loss and Dunegod like this.
    September 2017 Wildcat of the Month

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by missiondude View Post
    I dune with a few and they climb Olds easily and China decently. I have 6000 miles in Glamis on a Wildcat X, although it does not do China. A turbo machine would be better, but you can have a good time there without one.
    What paddles work the best on the xx? Any to stay away from?
    2016 sport xt
    Beard padded harnesses
    Arctic cat front and rear bumper
    Arctic cat shoulder bag
    SAK PARK BRAKE

arctic cat soft top
    DRAGONGUNNER master cylinder guard
    rear cover heat mod
    Arctic cat door extentions custom painted
    evo air intake
    cat removed muffler

2014 trail (sold)

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    Big variance in price there...of course the Turbo S will pull much better on the long hills.
    How about a new XP Pro? Or Kawi in another month...

The XX is a dezert sled...not a great duner IMO but will keep up. I have only been to Glamis once with mine and took it easy getting used to it. This season I will open it up.
    Also got a tune and clutch spring- should help. I run Sand Drifters- not the greatest either but good for the price.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I cannot say much to Glamis but have been to Jericho ut and st anthonys Idaho. All i ride is dunes and while it might be a desert car I love it in the dunes, yes it does need more power but I had plenty of fun stock. It will not climb choke cherry in st Anthonys only about half way, it is not a hill climber stock but it dunes very well. Add a 5k turbo down the road and be a lot less money than the others and be just as fast or faster with better suspension.

I have ran stu blaster #2 and tributes and they worked well but I am now running 32" skat trak 10 paddle staggered with front ruff buff and like them much better

Member #
    Liked
    105 times
    Name:  Photo Nov 18, 10 44 56 AM.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  4.32 MB
    I run the Fullerton Sand Sports paddles on mine and it runs great in the dunes, you aren't going to be the fastest running up China wall but who cares, the car runs great in the dunes, I lead most of the time and the turbos aren't on my but
    Total Loss likes this.
    2018 Wildcat XX Green/Black
    S&B Particle Separator
    Alba ECU Flash
    Alba Header
    STM clutch kit
    Rugged Radios Radio and Intercom
    Shock Therapy revalve and springs
    15"x31" FSS SXS Paddles on DWT Sector Bead Locks
    15"x32" BFG KM3 on KMC Bead Locks

June 2017 Wildcat of the month
    SOLD 2012 Black Wildcat #642
    Custom cage by SDR Motorsports
    Custom doors by SDR Motorsports
    STU's/Razors on DWT Sector Bead Locks
    15" BFG All-Terrains on OMF Bead Locks

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sand_duner View Post
    I run the Fullerton Sand Sports paddles on mine and it runs great in the dunes, you aren't going to be the fastest running up China wall but who cares, the car runs great in the dunes, I lead most of the time and the turbos aren't on my but
    Moving to PV next year...how long does it take you to get to Glamis normally?

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by sand_duner View Post
    Sand_duner you can make it up China wall?

Are you stock, or do you have work done?

I absolutely don't care if I am the fastest in a SXS. I have a full desert racing Sundahl Banshee set up with 19" of front and rear travel for that.. and honestly, the days of stupid fast are long behind me.

I'm looking for the best ride, a low center of gravity and am trying to stay 64" to avoid a redesign of my toyhauler. Horsepower is easy to add.. it just takes money. Suspension points on a chassis are much harder to upgrade.

Thanks everyone for commenting, this would be a no brainier if they offered a turbo model.

I'm also waiting to see the new Kawasaki.

Member #
    Liked
    363 times

I'm looking for the best ride, a low center of gravity and am trying to stay 64" to avoid a redesign of my toyhauler. Horsepower is easy to add.. it just takes money. Suspension points on a chassis are much harder to upgrade.

Best handling and ride for a stock SxS IMO...especially at the price point. Also full doors, a real cage and beefiest suspension, steering and frame (well the new XP Pro caught on now)
    negatronix likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    969 times
    If your primary use is the dunes you will be disappointed with the power. Yes it will get you around, but sand robs power. The XX is on the chunky side in the weight department for a non-turbo.

If you do a little bit of dunes and more trails and open desert the XX is a great choice.

If sand is your game get a SXS with a turbo. There are great deals on 2019 models for both the Turbo S and Can Am X3. Or if your want to stay 64” there are really good deals on a Turbo XP. I have seen 2 seat turbo XPs for under 20k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    If I was looking for a turbo 64 car right now I would look seriously at the XP Pro Polaris. (I am not)

Jbl
    Member #
    Liked
    625 times
    Sand_duner you can make it up China wall?

Are you stock, or do you have work done?

I absolutely don't care if I am the fastest in a SXS. I have a full desert racing Sundahl Banshee set up with 19" of front and rear travel for that.. and honestly, the days of stupid fast are long behind me.

Thanks everyone for commenting, this would be a no brainier if they offered a turbo model.

I'm also waiting to see the new Kawasaki.

Welcome to the forums. Good duners here have already mentioned what to do. (Im one of the terrible duners...just ask around) The XX will get around just fine as I've ridden behind and led a few of them. Best suspension no arguing that IMO. Just terribly underpowered for the dunes, but if your "that guy" with a non turbo and your group is turbo then they will have to wait for you at the top of all the hills. I was passenger climbing up Olds and was dissapointed on the climb but once we got clear over and played in the dunes with momentum it did good. If you do get one, after a while you will be bored and want more power and the only real way to go is turbo and there arent very many solid companies to choose from and even less true reviews here on this site. Just wait for Kawi like I am, look at the new Polaris rzr NA with 180 hp and its 64" THought I'd never own a popo but that caught my attention. Good luck with your decision.

Member #
    Liked
    43 times
    I run Dumont mostly and I can not climb the big hills. I need paddles but doubt it will get me up to the top of comp. Need more power to the weight in sand.

Now I do lead all the runs and keep a good pace, but the turbo cars are on my butt the whole time. They are usually climbing the higher line and dropping in behind me.

Member #
    Liked
    363 times
    I drove all over Glamis with my 54hp Rzr 800 S for 10 years...made it up Olds...never even attempted the walls. Still had the permagrin

It's all relative.
    18wildcatxx likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links