Choosing
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Total Loss
  • 1 Post By blownhotrodder
  • 3 Post By sundown23

Thread: Choosing

Member #

Choosing

Wife and I have been looking at SXS machines for a few months, in this process we have decided to choose between the XX and the Talon R. We have driven the XX and quoted a price, will be driving the Talon R later this week.

Points I really like about the XX is the lack of electronic parts, same size tires front and rear, I really like the rear suspension on the XX. Strange part is the honda was quoted for a price slightly over $1500.00 less, I figured it would be higher.

After reading some of these forums on the wildcat it seems like company support, parts and service is less than what some would desire.

My question is this is anyone having issues with parts and how hard is it to get parts for a five year old wildcat X?

Member #
    Liked
    785 times
    First of all, the biggest difference between the XX and the Talon in how much room is in them. The Talon is very cramped in the driver area. The space for your left foot is even worse than a RZR. And the bed is really small.

Support has everything to do with your dealer. Parts are available but sometimes you have to hunt for them. I haven't ordered parts for a Wildcat X in a while but they were always easy to find.
    IUEC Local 8
    The elevator guy!

I had a 2012....cracked engine case stock, then w/ MCX Turbo and STM Clutch broke 2 crankshafts, and blew up 2 rear diffs,

Then got a 2014 X Limited....leaked oil since new, bent crankshaft, and cracked the stator cover....

Got a RZR XPT..hauls ass, rides great, handles terrible, sucks in the whoops

Now....Speed XX #32

Member #
    Thats why I was asking about a older machine, to see if parts are still supported. Don't get me wrong if I could build on it would have components from the XX and Talon R and X.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    I recently sold my XX and now own a Talon. I found the XX to have more leg room if you are taller but I am not. Shoulder wise it’s about the same as the Talon. Coming from a YXZ I was use to the higher RPMs so that didn’t bother me. The suspension is excellent although I had the full Shock Therapy setup (not treatment). The cage on the XX is stronger and I too appreciated the component interchangeability. I feel the Talon is a more refined machine, it’s smoother off of stop, I like the gear changing, the bottom end power and most of all the dealer support. Seeing what Textron has done to the brand and it’s dealerships I didn’t care for the thought of going to a boat dealer for services. There is better quality on the Talon and without an argument, more off-road history.

I wouldn’t want to tell you which machine to buy, but I am very happy with the choice I made.
    2019 Honda Talon 1000R
    Jackson Racing Factory Turbo Kit
    Weller Racing Suspension
    ECU Flash
    TCM Flash
    Simpson Harnesses
    Rugged Radios
    Extreme Paddles on polished DWT Rims

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I also looked at several others this year. I only have 400 miles on the XX so not really too interested in changing machines unless something really intrigues me. Just looked at the new X3 RR XRC and man that is cramped compared to the XX. I'm 6' 250 so i'm finding nothing with more room that is being made. The Talon is nice but I want something with 30' tires from the factory. I cannot believe the Talons only come with 28's and they are different wheels/tires front/back. I like running the same wheel/tire front and rear. I'll definitely keep watching these machines.

Member #
    Liked
    375 times
    No comparison in suspension in stock form.
    izom likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    517 times
    I am torn on this one. I do not own either but have a decent little bit of seat time in both.

R feels like it has better stability when flying into a corner with the added width, and it certainly soaks up a lot. As goofy as the suspension looks, it really does work well. On the other hand the XX makes things easy - when blasting through nasty terrain you point the wheel and it just goes, no matter how fast you're going. Feels like a nimble race car for the woods, and is certainly more convenient for the east coast folks at 64". 70" would have me nervous as I rub wheels squeezing through spots in the woods in my 64" X on a regular basis.

Build-wise the XX kills the R in terms of user friendly/intelligent design and general "beefiness" - talking double sheer suspension, same size tires/wheels, heavy duty tubing, cab space, cage, and the dozens of other brilliant things. On the back of this though I will say I haven't seen mass reports of weak points on the Talon's yet, just a few things here and there. Fit/finish the Honda is far superior over the XX.

From a company/continuity perspective, Honda is.. Honda. Legendary name, huge network, well established and not going anywhere. Textron/AC certainly leaves you with concerns or at least questions. I am thrilled to see the 2020 XX's hitting dealers, great sign, but so many dealers have dropped off and this whole situation with Tracker just leaves you scratching your head in a lot of respects.

The drive system in the Honda is a blast. Paddle shifting in Sport mode while screaming through the trails leaves you smiling ear to ear, and if you get tired of it you can switch back to auto while on the fly. Speed wise I didn't notice a massive difference. Both scoot quite a bit faster than my X. Didn't get a chance to rock crawl or get into anything too technical to compare there. The R has the turning radius of a 747, seriously - it's crazy.

This probably doesn't help at all sorry.
    2016 Wildcat X
    SidexSideAudio System
    Dragonfire Harness Bar
    PRP Harnesses
    AC Rock Sliders
    AC Soft Top
    Bad Dawg Box
    Highlifter Radius Rods
    D & P Performance Tie Rods
    AJ's Tub Guards
    30X10X14 Carnivores
    Much much more to come..

Started emptying my wallet with a 2014 Trail.

Member #
    Liked
    103 times
    My buddy has an R model. He cant keep up with me. Its a nice cruiser but not a big performer. Donkey kicks over jumps very bad. Big turning radius. Small tires. Dont like the 4 wheel drive system. It uses the brakes to lock up the wheels for traction and can overheat them if your trying to drive it hard in 4x4. Small fuel tank. Gauge cluster in middle really hard to see and dust seems to stick to it making it even harder to see. Other than that, its a Honda and is what youd expect from Honda. Id buy one for my wife and Id drive it as a second machine for cruising. Thats about it.
    izom likes this.
    2018 Wildcat XX
    Alba tune, Alba header, Speed steering rack gusset kit, Speed secondary bolt lock, Shock Therapy revalve and springs, MBRP sport muffler, Black Mountain clutch kit, Sandcraft limit straps. SSV stage 2 stereo, Arctic Cat roof, PRP harnesses, Dragonfire steering wheel, rear diff bump pad, alternator delete.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I have a 2017 YXZ 1000R SS SE and a 2019 Honda Talon 1000R and I am Absolutely Crazy Happy with the Honda, never run the YXZ anymore just sits in the garage, Traded the XX in on a 2019 YXZ and traded that for the Talon, wow hope i'm finally satisfied lol, now lets see what that 2020 Kawasaki KFX 1000 looks like? (just kidding...I think).Name:  IMG_5127.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  3.57 MBName:  IMG_5177.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  3.52 MB

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    this is why I Love my XX, This Last weekend I miss a turn and hit a power line pole and destroyed my rear wheel, no damage to the XX just put on my spare tire and run the rest of the weekend!!
    Name:  IMG_7981.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  100.1 KBName:  59157757822__7EA05A54-1CA7-4BCB-A1E6-48385341BA49.JPG
Size:  103.9 KB
    Courage9027, izom and Total Loss like this.

Member #
    Liked
    655 times

...yeah they built like a tank
    wildcat 1000 limited 2013,5

H1 650 TRV 2009

Member #
    Liked
    375 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sundown23 View Post
    this is why I Love my XX, This Last weekend I miss a turn and hit a power line pole and destroyed my rear wheel, no damage to the XX just put on my spare tire and run the rest of the weekend!!
    Name:  IMG_7981.jpg
Size:  100.1 KBName:  59157757822__7EA05A54-1CA7-4BCB-A1E6-48385341BA49.JPG
Size:  103.9 KB
    You know...I have the STI beadlocks on my paddles and when I received them, I thought...they look nice, beadlocks hold air well but I would not run them on my dezert setup.
    They look a little soft. Thanks for testing them for me...KMC stockers all the way.

But then...if you had the KMC's, you may have had more damages to the car...or not...who knows.
    Glad for you your car is intact. Check alignments and measurements though.

We just noticed a bent lower A-arm on my brothers...we think it happenned like 2 trips previous when he nailed a large berm...didn't notice it until we looked real closely one day and put a straight edge on it.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I've had my XX for 16mo. What I really like: It has the roomiest cabin in its class. I had an RZR and the XX is much more comfortable. The engine is amazing once you get used to its power band and RPM's it likes. I goes anywhere an RZR goes. The Ride quality is probably unmatched for a stock machine. It has been completely dependable (have ~150 hours on it, southern New Mexico mountains and desert some Moab & St George, UT). It is easy enough to service for me to do it myself. Love the locking front differential. Love the roll cage and security it gives. Full doors are great. Great power steering. Huge rear deck for storage (hate the limited storage on other brands). The pre-wired accessory wiring is great once you figure out how to use it. Poor documentation on that great feature. Full doors are great.

Things I think that should be improved: Engine noise is too high. I understand that engine noise is the most common complaint about sport SxS. I added sound proofing and got enough decrease to where I quit wearing ear plugs. Too much engine heat from the radiator comes in around the instrument panel. Really miserable in summer NM heat. I made an HVAC sticky back foam backed foil barrier behind the instrument cluster which solved about 80% of the problem. I didn't like the seating position but found a really simple solution to raising the back of the seat up 1 1/2" while maintaining forward and backward adjustability. Really improves vision for rock crawling and wheel placement in tricky areas plus is more comfortable FOR ME. Door fitment is pretty

Trade offs: Every SxS is a compromise. The large cabin causes the frame to be wider, sticking our behind the front wheels (compared to the RZR's narrower cabin). This causes more frequent bottoming out when dropping the front wheels off steps or bolders. Annoying but worth for me. I've bottomed out hard numerous times with no damage. The XX is a very heavy machine, about 300 lbs more then the competition. It is a very robust design and takes abuse of the body quite well. I've bottomed out hard numerous times with no damage. I think its weight is what makes it marginally slower than other 1K non turbo machines.

Love the XX. Glad I bought it.

Sponsored Links