Helix for High Altitude
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Helix for High Altitude

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Helix for High Altitude

Just curious, Has anyone on here done any testing with different secondary helix's at high elevation? 10,000 Feet elevation or more to be specific? I'm finding the stock 40-50 helix will not pull full RPM's at 10,000 feet or more at initial take off. Wondering what everyone has seen or is using at 10,000 feet or higher elevation?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4129 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Winch_Warrior View Post
    Just curious, Has anyone on here done any testing with different secondary helix's at high elevation? 10,000 Feet elevation or more to be specific? I'm finding the stock 40-50 helix will not pull full RPM's at 10,000 feet or more at initial take off. Wondering what everyone has seen or is using at 10,000 feet or higher elevation?
    our rig runs great up to the top of mt. bross (14,117') out of alma, co with the set-up in the signature below...no problems at all...
    October 2018 WOTM Arctic Cat Wildcat XX (Satin Charcoal Metallic w/Green Decals)
    Arctic Cat: Black Aluminum Roof; 36" LED Light Bar; Rearview Mirror; Full Windshield; Rear Window; Spare Tire Carrier; Kick Panel Bags; Black Front/Rear Steel Bumpers; 6" LED Light Bar; Rock Sliders; Spare Tire Rim w/OEM CST Behemoth; Trailerable Cover; Green Rock Light Kit--PRP: "RS" Suspension Seats; 4.2 Harnesses--D&P Performance: 2" Seat Mounts/Risers--Ryco Moto: Street Legal Kit--Seizmik: Strike Side View Mirrors--​Rugged Radio: XX Mobile Radio Mount; RM-25R Dual Band Mobile Radio; RRP660 2 Place Intercom System w/Helmet Kits & H22-Ultimate Headsets--Trail Armor: Skids; A-arm & Trailing Arm Guards--Speedwerx: Heavy Duty Steering Box Bushing; H5 Alloy Secondary Clutch Spring 180/240; Team Boss Driven Clutch Delrin Washers--775Fabrication: Reluctor Shield--Ryfab: Cargo Box--
    KFI: Rear 2" Receiver Hitch--Spring Brake Thingy--

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Black diamond extreme hi alt kit. I don't run any magnets in the primary wts until I get to Moab.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WildcatForums.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Emelk1 Do you know the base weight ? I'm just starting to play with my clutching.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanTeck View Post
    our rig runs great up to the top of mt. bross (14,117') out of alma, co with the set-up in the signature below...no problems at all...
    I'm sure there are no problems.........I'm looking for power that's still left on the table.

If your still running the factory 40-50 helix at 10,000 ft. elevation or higher then there is still performance left on the table that hasn't been seen yet. I have been testing and tuning all summer long at high elevation (over 10,000 ft.) and am seeing performance improvements other than just secondary springs.

If your still running the stock 55 gram weights at elevations over 10,000 ft. then your not seeing 9100-9300 RPM's which is where the Wildcat XX needs to turn for peak HP.

Why not utilize everything this machine has to offer as far as engine performance at high elevation with some simple CVT adjustments?

Asking around to see what others are seeing with helix angles at high elevation for peak performance.
    slymer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Winch_Warrior. I can't agree more. I've put in a venom primary and secondary spring. It has helped a lot. But still missing some rpm myself. I can throttle steer it now at least. People don't realize how much is left on the table at higher elevations. The old wildcat started 1500 rpm short and the xx is about the same at elevation.
    Winch_Warrior likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Slymer, I found the initial angle of 40 or more on the helix loads this triple too much and doesn't allow for full RPM at take off from a dead stop at 10,000 ft. elevation.

I also ended up going below 45 gram weights at 10,500 elevation. I can peg this XX now and she immediately nails 9200 RPM and pulls very, very hard all the way to the top end at high elevation.
    Last edited by Winch_Warrior; 10-14-2019 at 02:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Emelk1 View Post
    Black diamond extreme hi alt kit. I don't run any magnets in the primary wts until I get to Moab.
    What angle is the helix in this kit?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Name:  Screenshot_20191006-174049_Facebook.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  441.7 KB Winch_warrior
    someone had this for sale on Facebook. It was a speedwerx kit for high elevation and 32's. I had to zoom in to see what it was.
    Last edited by slymer; 10-14-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by slymer View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20191006-174049_Facebook.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  441.7 KB Winch_warrior
    someone had this for sale on Facebook. It was a speedwerx kit for high elevation and 32's. I had to zoom in to see what it was.
    Is it 35-50 ?

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Is it 35-50 ?
    That's what I see.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I think that will work good for you for high elevation. I ended up at 36 degrees for primary angle on the helix and it really made a big difference along with the lighter weights to turn 9200 RPM or more. You will have to remove some material off the weights to get them below 45 grams.

The last 500 RPM's on this Wildcat XX makes big hp numbers if you can manage to get the primary weights light enough to turn the RPM's.

Nobody makes weights lighter than 45 grams...........That means we have to make them ourselves.

I have ground the tip area on the belly or underside and also have milled them on my bridgeport. I used a gram scale to verify each individual primary weight after I ground them all to make sure they were all the same weight.

What elevation are you running at? I can help if you are close to 10,000 feet.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    I think that will work good for you for high elevation. I ended up at 36 degrees for primary angle on the helix and it really made a big difference along with the lighter weights to turn 9200 RPM or more. You will have to remove some material off the weights to get them below 45 grams.

The last 500 RPM's on this Wildcat XX makes big hp numbers if you can manage to get the primary weights light enough to turn the RPM's.

Nobody makes weights lighter than 45 grams...........That means we have to make them ourselves.

I have ground the tip area on the belly or underside and also have milled them on my bridgeport. I used a gram scale to verify each individual primary weight after I ground them all to make sure they were all the same weight.

What elevation are you running at? I can help if you are close to 10,000 feet.
    I'm just up the road from you in Glenwood springs. I play with clutching on my sleds
    So it won't be the first time I've had to figure them out. Thanks for the info. I'm glad I'm headed in right direction.
    I would like to hook up with you next year and ride the grand mesa. I used to go up above colbran but never explored much.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Absolutely! Send me a message when your ready!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Ha ha ha. I knew u hammerhead s were sledders too. Back shift doesn't exist with stock clutching on xx at alt. I am running 55 gram pin wt and live at 8K but have all kinds of hot rod parts so results will vary. I have the reflash, pipe, intake etc. I agree, this triple gets happy above 9K rpms. I CLD prob run a little lighter pin wt. but we run down to Saratoga and encampment all the time so I find a happy medium.

PS I added 6.5 grams/wt for Moab and it was too heavy. Cldnt get out of mid 8's. Gonna put 2.6 grams(2 magnet's) on the toe next time and try that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links